Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 09:26   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The new Indica Vista is going to be equipped with ABS & Airbags besides steering mounted controls, electric mirrors & a host of other features which are STILL MISSING (baring the ABS) in the SWIFT.

Source - Tata Indica Vista Ignis has ABS and airbags!- News- Zigwheels

What will the Swift fans do now? Run for cover? They have always harped on the fact that Swift was safer than the Vista (a joke in the 1st place considering the ultra thin body that Swift has). What do these people have to say now?
Egg on your face guys!!!!
Where will the super sharp handling come from ? Where will the swifts brilliant looks come from ? The egg ?

There are somethings u cant add in an indica and some things u cant take away in a swift.
Old 14th August 2009, 09:37   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Where will the super sharp handling come from ? Where will the swifts brilliant looks come from ? The egg ?

There are somethings u cant add in an indica and some things u cant take away in a swift.
Brilliant Looks? Swift? i would beg to differ. But like you said rightly - there are some things you cannot take away in a swift - "The Ugliness and the over pricing"
Old 14th August 2009, 11:29   #333
BHPian

Humyum - Bro after looking at the pic in you post (M-800), I am not surprised that you like the looks of the Swift to such an extent. Guess you should be coming out of your closet a lit bit more often. No offence meant.
Just consider the number of years that MIL has taken to bring the Swift (the only good looking car from them till date) and the no. of years Tata's have taken to bring the Vista. The only mistake that Tata's did was to give the Vista the tag of Indica. Had this not been the case, the car would have really ruled the roost.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:06   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Brilliant Looks? Swift? i would beg to differ. But like you said rightly - there are some things you cannot take away in a swift - "The Ugliness and the over pricing"
Yep, Does not look like a Mini Innova, Does not look like an uncles car and definately does not look like it could either be a call center car or a taxi. Sorry, that ll be asking for too much from the swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Humyum - Bro after looking at the pic in you post (M-800), I am not surprised that you like the looks of the Swift to such an extent. Guess you should be coming out of your closet a lit bit more often. No offence meant.
Just consider the number of years that MIL has taken to bring the Swift (the only good looking car from them till date) and the no. of years Tata's have taken to bring the Vista. The only mistake that Tata's did was to give the Vista the tag of Indica. Had this not been the case, the car would have really ruled the roost.
Ok, so according to you, people's taste depend on what they have owned earlier? M800 was more of a choice, rather than a compulsion and i have owned a zen too after that and with your perception of peoples taste i should be loving the looks of the indica, indigo and marina too as anything more than the 800 should be god for me. DUH !

Guess u should take a crash cource in physcology before even asking someone to come out of the closet.

If names could make or break cars, ZEN ESTILLO would have been the higest seller by now. Indica would never rule the roost as it does not have what the young crowd need.

And what tata has done to bring the Vista out and how long the swift has taken to come to india is irrelevant, the sales, the service prove who is capable of what.

and yes in your lingo, NO OFFENCE
Old 14th August 2009, 12:18   #335
BHPian

Humyum - Dude, I have also owned 6 Maruti's for the last 16 years, starting from the Omni & ending with the beautiful Zen. My family is also a very staunch Maruti supporter & believe you me it took a lot of persuasion & explanation when I decided to ditch the Swift in favour of the Vista. However there was a rational thinking that went into this decision. I will more than agree that the Swift is a fantastic but unpractical car. Its a car for loners & those who want to drive alone. If you are of that type then I am not surprised that U enjoy the Swift.
Again, no offence intended whatsoever....
Old 14th August 2009, 14:25   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have you ever driven a Vista or even an Indica V2?
If you had you wont be talking about 'super sharp handling'.
I have driven both along with Swift vdi a lot so i know about the handling part.

Swift is good looking no doubt!
Add a 16-17 inch tyre with those kool looking alloys(which most swift lovers have on their ride) and it makes it look brilliant(i agree) and i like it a lot personally.
However your post suggested that swift looks brilliant and vista ugly(thats what i derived from it).
In that case i may suggest you an immediate need of glasses(and i mean the power ones) because to all the people i have come acrossed on this forum and otherwise had never said Vista looks ugly. No offence!

Yes we cant add the cramped seats and lack of leg room (front and back both) along with lack of any useful feature in a Vista(tata can try though)

Quote:
Yep, Does not look like a Mini Innova, Does not look like an uncles car and definately does not look like it could either be a call center car or a taxi. Sorry, that ll be asking for too much from the swift.

Ok, so according to you, people's taste depend on what they have owned earlier? M800 was more of a choice, rather than a compulsion and i have owned a zen too after that and with your perception of peoples taste i should be loving the looks of the indica, indigo and marina too as anything more than the 800 should be god for me. DUH !

Guess u should take a crash cource in physcology before even asking someone to come out of the closet.

If names could make or break cars, ZEN ESTILLO would have been the higest seller by now. Indica would never rule the roost as it does not have what the young crowd need.

And what tata has done to bring the Vista out and how long the swift has taken to come to india is irrelevant, the sales, the service prove who is capable of what.

Mini Innova- Glasses required again!
From where and how only you can let us know. Seriously.

Uncles car- You will be surprised to know how many 'UNCLES' drive a swift cos of 'Maruti is a reliable bet' mentality(which is right to an extent). If you dont believe me look around when you are on a road to see such 'UNCLES' driving the swift.

How many'young crowd' people buys car is what i really wanna know cos imo the 'young crowd' does not have that much money(excluding the ones who are depending on their parents for their power purchases). Its mostly the Uncles who buy cars.

To make a car affordable to a person willing to use it as a taxi one has to price it correctly. Sadly, Tata did it. A pity actually cos if they hadn't we could have seen the 'super handling swift and ritz(a very practical car imo) doing the taxi duty.

Last edited by harry10 : 14th August 2009 at 14:28.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:38   #337
Senior - BHPian

humyum, even between indicas the handling varies. From what I've read, the pre 2002 indicas were the best, followed by the post 2005/6 ones. the 2002-05 ones were too softly sprung, and they were made firmer till 2007, when they were almost as good as the 2002 and earlier ones.

Granted, a swift is still better than the sharpest handling indica, but the indica does have good handling in general, compared to some tall boys and boat like hatches.

And do remember that the swift is priced a segment above the first gen indica. The indica's natural rivals are the estilo and the wagon R, neither of which can be compared here because maruti thinks people who cannot afford 5L+ are unworthy of diesel engines
Old 14th August 2009, 14:42   #338
BHPian

Harry & Greenhorn - Really well said my dear friends.
There is really no point in convincing other people that the Vista is indeed a very good car with an excellent VFM. Also if an ABS+Airbag diesel model is launched it will might swing some buyers in its favour.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:47   #339
BHPian

Quote:

Swift's good looks?

I think that credit goes to Frank Stephenson. Well, this bloke was a designer for BMW. He is now in Mclaren. He in turn has given credit to Alec Issigonis!

Swift is a good looker. But its heavily inspired. I appreciate the humble Vista with an original identity over the Swift.

Super sharp handling! Well who will give the Swift the 'magic carpet ride'? (I have made up a phrase) Its a balance my dear. Not all are after super sharp handling while commuting bumper to bumper in city traffic.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:07   #340
BHPian

Quote:

Indica would never rule the roost as it does not have what the young crowd need.

Uncle's car? heheh. i thought M800 was the uncle's car. i must be wrong! Taxi wallahs dont want a swift - because it can barely seat two people
Capable Sales - yea, you need this maruti, because thats how they eventually persuade and convince people to pay a premium for their cars and in return they give you fantastic overpriced service.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:24   #341
BHPian

Over the last one month I have noticed a lot of Indica Vistas on the road in my city. It seems it has now been well accepted.
Old 14th August 2009, 21:37   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
humyum, even between indicas the handling varies. From what I've read, the pre 2002 indicas were the best, followed by the post 2005/6 ones. the 2002-05 ones were too softly sprung, and they were made firmer till 2007, when they were almost as good as the 2002 and earlier ones.

Granted, a swift is still better than the sharpest handling indica, but the indica does have good handling in general, compared to some tall boys and boat like hatches.

And do remember that the swift is priced a segment above the first gen indica. The indica's natural rivals are the estilo and the wagon R, neither of which can be compared here because maruti thinks people who cannot afford 5L+ are unworthy of diesel engines
add to that Maruti thinks it is below it to make cars for large families , or rather small families with atleast couple of large men in it. And i dont mean fat. tall and broad !
Even the swift with the bulging waist is still to tight inside. sx4 is exception but its not in the segment.
Add to that high sticker price with poor features for comparative variants from competitors.
With all its shortcomings as a young car maker ,Tata is the only one who gives value for money IMHO.
Old 14th August 2009, 22:30   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
With all its shortcomings as a young car maker ,Tata is the only one who gives value for money IMHO.
with that they offer poor reliability & pathetic after sales service as standard feature in their cars! what value for money! atleast maruti offers complete customer satisfaction.

please dont say that there is this person & that guy who is not happy with the maruti's A.S.S, there are many exceptions in such cases, but we will look at the majority.

i am not saying that maruti is good or tata is bad. but every individual has different needs from his vehicles. some may need reliabilty, others need space. some need performance, others need features. some need good handling, others need good ride quality.

well, coming back to the topic, i prefer a swift over a vista. reasons, i think the swift looks much better, offers better performance & i find the swift's driving position a lot better than the vista. but all this is just my personal opinion. this does not in any way mean that the vista is a bad car. it just that its the swift which appeals to me. and i will never buy a vista over a swift.
Old 14th August 2009, 23:07   #344
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
with that they offer poor reliability & pathetic after sales service as standard feature in their cars! what value for money! atleast maruti offers complete customer satisfaction.
Maruti and reliability? You must be kidding. My first car was an Omni, bought off the showroom, and it has broke down on the road at least half a dozen times. The distributer used to conk off repeatedly, and MASS at 3 different towns could not figure out why. Later the alternator had to conk off, for the problem to be zeroed down to the bad alternator.

Old 15th August 2009, 00:09   #345
BHPian

Surprising despite such criticism of Indica Vista in this forum, most of the users have voted for Indica Vista abd Swift is still lagging at 2nd place. Looks most of people are closet Indica Vista lovers ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks