Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 13:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
I voted for Vista for its sheer space, ride and comfort.
Even Palio MJD offers that, and you get Build quality too!
Quote:
MJD, no where in the competition unless they come-out with new model with same engine.
Yes, G Punto is coming this year end, will you buy?
Old 24th September 2008, 14:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

If you want a driver's car, the Swift is still the one to go for. The quality and Maruti After Sales Service is also better.
The Vista is a huge improvement over the older Indica models. Its ride, space and comfort is also the best. But, it will be better if you can get a used review before making the purchase.
The Palio has the same engine as the Swift, but, it dosen't have ABS and they are just making too few of them. Also, a replacement should be on its way.
The Fiat 500 is not even worth considering unless you want a lifestyle vehicle. This is the only car I haven't driven in the lot.
The Swift DDiS gets my vote.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Even Palio MJD offers that, and you get Build quality too!
No where close to Vista. Vista is much more spacious and rides better and interiors are much better than MJD. NVH is also better than MJD. Regrading build quality, I keep all three at same levels, if forced to rank than MJD at bottom because, guys go checkout the cars first. You just have that impression of great build of Palio, because when it was launched, it was way ahead of the competion but not now. Competion has cought up, whereas Palio keeps using their 8 year old processes, that is why I feel, they should launch their latest models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Yes, G Punto is coming this year end, will you buy?
Not sure, whether I will buy, because it is the dreaded Fiat, but yes, I will surely considering voting for it depending upon the competetion. I'm sure, it will not have the competetors listed in this thread.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Siddhu- I would suggest the Swift DDIS anyday. Since you already own a Swift you should be more happier to go for same car with different motor.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Swift.
Reasons
Swift
Positives : Excellent after sales support, good looks, crash tested body, handling, performance.
Negatives : None.

Tata Indica Vista
Positives : Space.
Negatives : Poor after sales support, centrally placed instrument cluster, non independent rear suspension, poor boot space, performance.

Fiat ( or TATA? ) Palio
Positives : Build quality, ride.
Negatives : Poor after sales support, old interiors, performance.

So here, Swift takes the win as it has no negatives and its the best VFM.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

um, does the swift have an independent rear suspension ?
Quote:
Swift takes the win as it has no negatives
interior space? waiting list ?
Quote:
Voted for Swift.
Reasons ....crash tested body,
so has the vista
Top Story - Hasta la Vista - Business Standard Motoring

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th September 2008 at 15:20.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Voted for Swift.
Very easy to find negatives for Swift just using your own perceptions. Put the positives of other cars as negative in Swift, you get few negatives .
And I have the feeling, you compared the petrol versions instead of Diesel, as there is hardly any difference in performance among these except the way it is delivered.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

No votes from my side.

1.) After my expereince with the quality or lack of it with the SX4 and Maruti's 'excellent' after sales service, I am never buying a Maruti again.

2.) Tata Indica Vista: Just don't like it. It does nothing for me. Neither does it appeal to my heart nor to my head.

3.) Palio MJD: Too old now. The interiors are also too old and dated.

The Grande Punto is what I am waiting for. It may not have the 'excellent' service that Maruti gives but unlike a Maruti, the product redeems itself.

In my expereince, Maruti = crap service + cars that fail to stir you emotionally and in fact, leave you cold and unmoved.
Fiat = Not so good service + Excellent cars built with emotion and passion.

I'd pick the latter combination anyday.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

um, does the swift have an independent rear suspension ?
I was comparing Indica Vista with Generation1TataIndica ( G1TI ). G1TI had front and rear Strut suspension so the rear was independent suspension. Tata mainly downgraded to torsion beam for cost reasons and gave the reason " better suited to overloading. The advantages of independent rear suspension will be obvious on bad roads with full luggage and then one has to drop left wheels or right wheels.

Quote:
interior space? waiting list ?
It cannot be calculated as a big negative and waiting list, well, its just that one has to be more patient to get a perfect thing ( this is upto individual preferences and requirements ) for him.

Quote:
I dont trust this article till its on EuroNCAP website. G1TI was also called " crash tested " in TATA's facality ( Tata is, as far as my knowledge goes ) the only manufacturer that has crash testing facality in India ), but there were no EuroNCAP results, ever. Tata claimed ( I read in Business standard magazine and in Outlook magazine ) that G1TI was designed to comply with Euro 4 safety and emession norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post

And I have the feeling, you compared the petrol versions instead of Diesel, as there is hardly any difference in performance among these except the way it is delivered.
The way power is delivered makes a difference and I agree that G2TI has better bottom end torque, but Swift has more enjoyable performance. Moreover, Swift has better dynamics and also slightly lighter.

P.S. : I have used G1TI = Generation 1 Tata Indica.
G2TI = Generation 2 Tata Indica i.e. Indica Vista.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:

The way power is delivered makes a difference and I agree that G2TI has better bottom end torque, but Swift has more enjoyable performance. Moreover, Swift has better dynamics and also slightly lighter.
Not sure how the sudden burst of power is more enjoyable than the linear one. I would say it is more thrilling and exciting, which you would not want in eaternity. Just you give you an analogy, roller-coaster rides are thrilling and exciting, you enjoy it for very short moments, but you can't spend life in those. Anyway it is personal choice, I prefer more linear power with better control rather than sudden burst of power.
Dyanmics and handling, I agree, but who cares in city.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2008 at 17:34.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Voted for swift ddis because of their better A**, Spare cost and availability of spares through out India.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
In my expereince, Maruti = crap service + cars that fail to stir you emotionally and in fact, leave you cold and unmoved.
Fiat = Not so good service + Excellent cars built with emotion and passion.

I'd pick the latter combination anyday.
Amit, you've summed it very well!

And you are best person to comment since you own both a Fiat and Maruti car!
Old 24th September 2008, 17:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
IMO, MSIL has better service compared to other car manufacturers. I had Wagon R for 4 years and I did not have any complaints during that time barring a couple of times. Otherwise, my experience with MSIL A** was good.
Old 24th September 2008, 17:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Palio MJD since that is one car that makes me want to own it everytime i see it.. Be it in the pics or in flesh. Agreed Vista is a new car with fresh interiors etc, but it does not make me want to own it. As I have read somewhere in t-bhp, when you see a car you will know if you want to own it or not. And also the review of the Palio MJD on t-bhp are not that bad and in fact the owners have found it to be a good car.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swift
Positives : Excellent after sales support, good looks, crash tested body, handling, performance.
Negatives : None.

• Terrible, bouncy ride quality
  • crashes into potholes
  • rattles from day 1. (can you imagine what happens after 50K)
  • cramped back seat due to tapering body. overall less roomy
  • petrol engine lacking good bottom end for city driving
BTW, Swift also has a twist beam suspension like the others.

Last edited by Mpower : 24th September 2008 at 21:22.

Most Viewed