Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 21:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by rajdoll
I voted for Vista for its sheer space, ride and comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Even Palio MJD offers that, and you get Build quality too!

Yes, G Punto is coming this year end, will you buy?
Palio certainly cannot equal the space inside the Vista. It's just not the same.

Can you show proof or guarantee GP is coming this year? I will buy.

Last edited by k_ajay : 24th September 2008 at 21:38. Reason: Addition of more info.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Biased views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Voted for Swift.
Reasons
Swift
Positives : Excellent after sales support, good looks, crash tested body, handling, performance.
Negatives : None.

Tata Indica Vista
Positives : Space.
Negatives : Poor after sales support, centrally placed instrument cluster, non independent rear suspension, poor boot space, performance.

So here, Swift takes the win as it has no negatives and its the best VFM.
Sir, may I ask how many Tata vehicles you've owned and gotten serviced that you claim Tata's aftersales as poor support and thus, negative?

Next, centrally placed instrument cluster isn't a negative. Unless, you are making this statement for yourself, again, without having used it for a period, long enough to make this claim.

How much more of a boot space, can I ask, the Swift has, more than that of the Vista, which doesn't seem to be a negative?? [obvs from this statement the Swift's boot must be much larget than Vista to be a positive, yes?]

You haven't even been fair in comparison here... Want to talk about Swift's now known rattles, lack of rear seat space and such???
Old 24th September 2008, 21:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think the vista has 232 litres and the swift 213 litres of boot volume
Old 24th September 2008, 22:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

may I ask how many Tata vehicles you've owned and gotten serviced that you claim Tata's aftersales as poor support and thus, negative?
There is a thread on T-BHP itself named " Protest Against Tata Motors ". This thread has sufficiently proved about After Sales and Service of Tata. Moreover, I have heard about Tata after sales and service from many people.

Quote:
Next, centrally placed instrument cluster isn't a negative. Unless, you are making this statement for yourself, again, without having used it for a period, long enough to make this claim.
Its more distracting and in case of Vista, its not properly designed. It must be a bit larger and more clear,specially the tachometer. Moreover this instrument console has sent A/C controls down too much.

Quote:
How much more of a boot space, can I ask, the Swift has, more than that of the Vista, which doesn't seem to be a negative?? [obvs from this statement the Swift's boot must be much larget than Vista to be a positive, yes?]

You haven't even been fair in comparison here... Want to talk about Swift's now known rattles, lack of rear seat space and such???
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think the vista has 232 litres and the swift 213 litres of boot volume
To the space issue, well, I have myself mentioned space as the positive point of indica vista, but the boot space could have been more for the size fo this car. Boot space must also have substancially increased as compared to G1TI as overall there is increase in wheelbase and cabin space.

Quote:
Reasons
Swift
Positives : Excellent after sales support, good looks, crash tested body, handling, performance.
Negatives : None.

Tata Indica Vista
Positives : Space.
Negatives : Poor after sales support, centrally placed instrument cluster, non independent rear suspension, poor boot space, performance.

So here, Swift takes the win as it has no negatives and its the best VFM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
  • Terrible, bouncy ride quality
  • crashes into potholes
  • rattles from day 1. (can you imagine what happens after 50K)
  • cramped back seat due to tapering body. overall less roomy

Yes, but this depends upon individual preferences and requirements.

Quote:
  • petrol engine lacking good bottom end for city driving

Sir, I was speaking in reference to diesels. And yes, I agree that Pertol lacks bottom end, but has a good top end.

Quote:

BTW, Swift also has a twist beam suspension like the others.
Yes, Swift has twist beam suspension acting like semi independent.

But G1TC had strut suspension all round and this was positive point. The move to Torsion beam is more because to cut cost and not because of " Overloading concerns and maintainence concerns ".
Swift never came with independent suspension all round, but Indica did have this. And I dont remember that ever Tata had a huge issue over G1TI's rear strut suspension. Here they are just cutting cost. I expected all round independent suspension.

P.S. G1TI = Generation 1 Tata Indica.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:31   #35
BHPian

Palio MJD

+ve: Looks, Price, Build Quality, Safety (except ABS it has better Passive and Active safety features), Space (only in a Palio can u fold entire back seat to get 960 litres of boot space), Durable (Slowest aging)

-ve: Old interiors, No ABS, Poor A** , Limited color options, expensive spares

Swift DDis

+ve: Maruti A**, Looks, ABS
-ve: Bumpy ride on back seat, Cheap build quality, Smallest boot among 3, Expensive, Waiting period, Safety

Indica VISTA

+ve: Space, Features (Tilt Steer, Adjable Seats, Music System etc), Rear seat comfort,

-ve: Build quality, Cheap plastics, Too new in the market to inspire confidence (especially considering history of Indica launches), Safety

My heart makes me vote for Palio MJD
Old 25th September 2008, 01:23   #36
BHPian

of all the arguments one thing can be made out that ppl are voting for the vdi just because of the ASS?
I guess FIAT pe ab chaap pad gayi hai...
of offering bad *** even though guys in this forum have had good things to say only about the FIAT ***.
I think we in india dont give anyone a second chance.
all the best FIAT
Old 25th September 2008, 02:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

BTW, the Indica VISTA has a crash tested body. The star rating is not out yet.

Quote:
Yes, but this depends upon individual preferences and requirements.
Dont think anybody would prefer the rattles and majority would pick ride over handling.
Old 25th September 2008, 04:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
voted to vista becoz of the following reasons-
space, build quality, few extra features
Build Quality??? from the house of TATA?
Old 25th September 2008, 07:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.ashokdurai View Post
well, thats what we were all thinking, but the vista is THAT better!
Have you taken a TD/Actually seen/felt the car ?
Old 25th September 2008, 09:19   #40
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.ashokdurai View Post
i felt build quality better than previous indica. At par with swift and less than palio MJD. Swift's waiting period is a big drawback i felt.
Old 25th September 2008, 09:44   #41

Palio SDX MJD (1.3) / Indica Vista / Getz CRDi - and some "worst-case" questions

Critical questions first, and then my ramblings.
(1) How bad is the Palio A.S.S? What is the chance of running into problem with a Palio SDX MJD? How easy is it usually to fix them?
(2) How noisy / vibrating is the Getz CRDi engine? How does it vary / change / evolve in the longer run?

Target: A diesel vehicle that drives up to reasonably fast - say, 140-150 kmph should be achieve-able and within reasonable time, say, 60-65 seconds, doesn't vibrate too much (does Getz CRDi have a vibration more than the Palio MJD engine?), has reasonable comfort and enough safety and drive-ability features under normal driving conditions.

Budget: 5.2-5.4L, hence Palio, Indica. Can extend to: 6-6.1L, hence Getz CRDi, and can spend a little more - up to 20-25k, over the next year to add more features if needed.

Took a test of Indica Vista. Writing my impressions below in a nutshell, without much elaboration.

Engine: Smooth, much smoother than the usual diesel, closer to a petrol than a usual diesel. Pick-up was reasonable. Torque low at lower ends and increases as the speed goes up. Gear-shift ok, but feedback at the first and second gears could have been improved.

Comfort and space: Good. The leg space is as awesome as the regular indica. Head-space, especially at the rear, might be a little less, might be an issue for someone over 6 feet. The suspension didn't feel too bad, though definitely not as good as say a Honda City.

Features: Stunning. Barring ABS/Alloy Wheels, almost every regular feature exists. Name it and you probably have it. Rear defogger, rear wash/wipe, fog lamps (both front and rear), steering tilt, driver height adjust - everything.

Plastics: Much improved than earlier Tata. The plastics are still Tata but much lesser Tata than earlier. Many improvements over the earlier ones, but not yet perfect. The door makes a thud when it shuts.

Boot space: A disappointment. It is too tiny. The claim of ~230 litres is one thing, but the usable space is lesser due to the shape.

Overall, it feels like a small car of bigger size.

Tata A.S.S. was guaranteed to be not as good/responsive as Hyundai by my office colleague who handles our Company Leased Cars.

So much for Indica Vista. My rating: Good. Spoils you by offering lot of features, but the internals (while much improved) is a little less than what I would love to see. A beige would be lovely to have at this price.

Now Getz. In New Delhi, and in spite of our office having a great relation with Hyundai, I could not get a test vehicle with CRDi. They could send a regular petrol GLE Getz, so the only thing I could feel was the space, which felt like a big car of smaller size. The boot was much more impressive than Indica. The petrol version handled the corners well at 80-85 kmph. The suspension was definitely better than Indica Vista. The interiors had ordinary plastics with a little better finish than Vista, but the beige in the image is really impressive, which is also promised in the CRDi. The feature-set is the poorest of the three. Even a music system is missing and I have to fit myself. Fog lamps, rear wash/wipe, rear defogger, music system - nothing is present. Just the monster engine engineering by Mercedes Benz with brutal power, and again, inadequate tyres and maybe less-than-desired safety feature given the power it generates.

Also I read somewhere that the CRDi might vibrate a lot. Really? How much? How does it compare with the Fiat Multijet engine? Anyone who has this experience? Getz CRDi is new, but how about the same engine applied on Hyundai Verna on a long term? I couldn't find any corresponding long term ownership report in T-BHP, so can anyone give me the pointer to this if it exists?

Finally Palio SDX MJD. A big disappointment since no Palio could be arranged for test drive. The showroom claims they don't have a vehicle for TD. The feature-set seems to be the richest on a Palio, among the three. The engine is of course a great in some sense. Resale value is supposed to be lower.

The big question is, how many Palios are usually "bad"? In other words, how easy / rewarding would it be to dispose my Palio when (1) it becomes old and/or (2) if I become unfortunate and have problems with the car? Palio A.S.S. is supposed to be bad, but how bad? Anyone from T-BHP with prior experience on this (good/bad/exactly what)?

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th September 2008 at 11:10. Reason: Search
Old 25th September 2008, 10:34   #42
BHPian

OT: This was said by one of my neighbour on driving Fiat Palio 1.6 Sports. He has brand new Swift DDiS Vxi.

The feeling you get after driving Fiat Palio 1.6 Sports after you driven Swift DDiS is the feeling you get when you drive a Zen (old) over 800.

Felt very happy. On the other hand, we had lot of comments like Palio 1.6 engine sounding like diesel, but on contrary, I found Swift DDiS engine sound is more and typical diesel engine.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:19   #43
BHPian

I voted for Vista, Reasons:-

Good Low end torque
Roomy
Comfortable
Few Thousand Bugs cheaper than DDIS
Old 25th September 2008, 11:40   #44
BHPian

though i have'nt cast my vote, i would like to give my 2 cents. As a background, i drive a Palio 1.2 for 2 years now. 2 of my closest friends have both bought a Swift DDiS recently, hence i have driven both the Palio and the DDiS extensively.

Last month i decided to go for a test drive of a Palio MJD. I felt at home as soon as i got in because, everything inside is the same, except for the colour combinations. It is no secret that the DDiS has more burst of power initially than that of the MJD, which i absolutely love, BUT the DDiS handles like walking on a road layered with banana skins.

That being said, the other 2 things i detest in the swift (petrol & Diesel) are 1. Rear leg room 2. the front dashboard. It just keeps staring at your knees no matter what position the seat is in. Now i dont know how safe that is.

To sum it up, i really like the kick of the turbo in the DDiS, but i am sure the car will rattle after 30k odd kms, which the Palio wont do. Some one rightly said here, the Palio ages really well. So, what would i buy if i had the money? Well i'd just wait for used MJD's to hit the used car market, and i have my next car!

And yes, despite all this, the Swift sells like hot cakes. I wonder why??

Last edited by iceman7 : 25th September 2008 at 11:42.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:48   #45
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
despite all this, the Swift sells like hot cakes. I wonder why??
It is called herd mentality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks