Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 13:34   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The older door handles (of my UK childhood) were handles that turned, like the door handles in a house. Then came solid handles with a knob to push. We thought this was posh!
Thad - They had turning handles on the outside as well?

Speaking of turning door handles - I liked the Old Fiat type inner door handles where the door handle itself could also lock the door by turning it in the opposite direction. Still seen in a modern form on the Palio, where you push the handle into its housing to lock the door.
Old 27th August 2008, 14:00   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They had turning handles on the outside as well?
Yes! On the outside they tended to be horizontal, pushing down to open; on the inside, they tended to pull back to open; push forward to lock, which sounds like the Fiat you mention.

I really don't know, but I'd be surprised if the original British incarnation of the Ambassador didn't have turning handles? It pre-dates me!
Old 27th August 2008, 23:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes! On the outside they tended to be horizontal, pushing down to open; on the inside, they tended to pull back to open; push forward to lock, which sounds like the Fiat you mention.

I really don't know, but I'd be surprised if the original British incarnation of the Ambassador didn't have turning handles? It pre-dates me!
Ofcourse old Ambassadors do have turn handles on them. You can see such cars plying in some rural areas.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
IIRC the Amby didn't have pull out type door handles. The old Fiats did.
Yes, I was refering to the same type door handles where you had to press a button and pull the handle beside it. I guess I missed something.
We had a Padmini at home in the early 90s and it had the same handles ad the Amby did. Which fiat models are you refering to.
Old 28th August 2008, 11:06   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I really miss the rotatory type seat adjustment knob which was there in my carb 800. Not found in most modern cars now. :(

That is replaced by a lever mechanism which lets u adjust the inclination of seat. All balenos have it
Old 28th August 2008, 12:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Get a cig lighter lamp(torch) for under hood lamp substitute. I got one of this and it is made in China. It is really helpful and will do jobs during night when something unusual happens (puncture etc). It has magnet into it and you can stick anywhere in car body for work. No need to hold in hand.

I keep this torch always in my car and during my last Tirupati trip, one of my car's front tyre got punctured in Chittor bypass. It was around 10 PM in the night. Outside was complete dark. This light was really helpful. It comes with some 5 meters long cable in it and can wind entire cable inside.

You can take it to under the hood too if something required to under the hood. It can substitute to some extent older days Amby, Fiat under hood light.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:27   #67
BHPian

Guys, I still miss the Aluminium rails which run right from head to tail lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Things we dropped from yesteryear - in our car-fiat.jpg  

Last edited by sary : 28th August 2008 at 12:30.
sary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2008, 12:45   #68
BHPian

Backseats ? I miss my amby's comfortable back seats - with awesome leg and thigh support. Why do carmakers don't build anything like that now ?
Old 28th August 2008, 13:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Jack cum Engine Starting Handle

I think starting handle for yesteryear's cars in not discussed in entire thread. I remember our Mark - 2 Amby had this. It has one hole in front steel bumper in the middle of bumper which straight goes to the engine. In older cars batteries were highly unreliable so this handle was there. No need to push start car.

Just put on ignition and insert handle from front bumper and rotate it full force till your engine crank.

It was nice tool and no need to PUSH start car anywhere when your battery go kaput.

Here is Morris Mano starting handle

Things we dropped from yesteryear - in our car-handle.jpg
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2008, 13:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
What was the reason to remove the steering mounted gears. I think it would be easier to change gears. Not sure as i never drove such car

I am no engineer,..but think about it having the gear lever closer to the steering wheel could have made for quicker shifts.

Off course the technology behind those linkages would have to be sorted out. I remember them being quite vague for the novice.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:20   #71
BHPian

The Most Important Aspect, and with modern vehicle design, for the sake of aerodynamics, people will never witness- the feature of the Fiat 1100D design-KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOUR CAR STARTS AND ENDS.
A feature which I simply love and helps in day to day, bumper to bumper traffic.
Use it everyday and know it works !!
Old 28th August 2008, 17:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

One more thing that clean slipped my mind:-
The starter was a pull out type knob on the dash, and not a key. Was it in the Amby Mark 1? Or on the Fiat that had the front doors opening the other way around?
Old 28th August 2008, 17:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
One more thing that clean slipped my mind:-
The starter was a pull out type knob on the dash, and not a key. Was it in the Amby Mark 1? Or on the Fiat that had the front doors opening the other way around?
Early Mark-II Ambys had it so I guess Mark-Is would have had it too.
1972 model Mark-IIs had the starter integrated into the keyhole.
Old 28th August 2008, 17:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

We can also check engine oil levels, brake fluid levels, radiator coolant levels, can change worn out belt on dynamo, can change a fused bulb and so on.

The column shift was very smooth but all the additional links require an expert to set and then again, they are prone to wear out quickly if the driver is not careful.

The rear seat of Ambassador....we all know that.

I had a 1971 Ambassador which predates me. The car gave an average mileage of about 16 kmpl, was reliable, and in 13 years of ownership, I never changed a headlight bulb.

And the trunk was huge.

Had to sell it. My 9 year old son misses the car, as do my mother and myself. He is not pleased with the Indica which replaced the Amby nor is he okay with my Bolero.

Last edited by simplyself : 28th August 2008 at 18:03.
Old 28th August 2008, 17:52   #75
BHPian

[quote=anujmishra;956474]
Quote:
Get a cig lighter lamp(torch) for under hood lamp substitute. It has magnet into it and you can stick anywhere in car body for work. No need to hold in hand.
Where can I buy this in Bangalore?

JC road??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks