Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2005, 19:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Well you could have called the cops atleast.
Or keep a bat and a fake gun in your car at all times.
It always works.
Old 18th March 2005, 19:29   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Or keep a bat and a fake gun in your car at all times.
It always works.
What if the other guy has a real gun and uses it to defend himself before you shoot your fake gun?

Also, regarding your bat. How good are you with your bat fighting skills? What if the other guy also has a bat?

Anyway, violence doesn't solve anything, things only get worse after violence. See my signature, it is one of the most important saying in martial arts history.
Old 18th March 2005, 20:08   #18
BANNED

well....

well i do have a baseball bat usually but maybe used it just one or twice
in bombay i dont feel its a problem with deserted roads unless
you see stones or something blocking the way
best thing to do is reverse and get the hell out of there
but outside bombay its never a problem as long as you dont travel in the night
Old 18th March 2005, 23:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Well dude, then the other guy is a member of T-BHP and we would have a race.
remember, the faster guy with the gun always wins.
Go watch hindi movies.
Old 19th March 2005, 00:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well dude, then the other guy is a member of T-BHP and we would have a race.
I would take that up only on the PC game Midtown madness. I have completed all levels in both MM-1 and MM-2, in amature mode though.

Quote:
remember, the faster guy with the gun always wins.
Interesting comment. Actually the Movie that talks about that is Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. It won like 4 Oscar awards and 10 Oscar nominations. A must see.
Old 19th March 2005, 00:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Coming back to the subject of deserted roads, it depends a lot on location. As some members already suggested some parts of UP, Bihar could be very dangerous. I used to know a road near Udupi (Karnataka) which was dangerous after dark. Some people used to block the road with stones and rob cars. Not anymore since the traffic has increased on that road.

On deserted roads, these are some of the suggestions I can think of:

1) If you don't feel safe, shut the windows and lock the doors.

2) If you get into a bad situation, don't get out of the car. You are most safe in the car. Try using that 1000Kg monster as a battering ram and drive away. You can lodge the complaint at a later police station.

3) If you find the road blocked by stones, just reverse and return or try to go from the side. Don't get out and remove the stone, that's a trap.

4) Carrying weapons like bats or hockey stick can make you feel safe, but may also make you over confident enough to get out of the car. How many people really know how to use a weapon? Most people just know to swing it. But if you don't know how to block/parry and counterattack, your fight will be a short one. Any weapon in a untrained hand can only give a psychological edge against an amature robber. But professional robbers work in groups and can easily disarm you. Therefore, in a life threatening situation stay in the car, and use the biggest weapon you got, your car.

5) If you want to get out and stretch your legs, you can do so. But be aware of your surroundings, choose a place with very good visibility in all direction. If you see somebody coming towards you, make sure you are close enough to the car for a quick getaway.

It could be all very harmless, it just depends on your threat perception.
Old 19th March 2005, 11:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Cool stuff samurai..
You love games don't you..
one more suggestion - install flame throwers if you are surrounded then reverse out and zoom back...
sorry just felt like saying that...
Would have been nice.
Old 19th March 2005, 13:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

carrying chilli powder in ur pockets can help save you.
Old 19th March 2005, 13:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
And neither did you.Any reasons??

Remember,if one takes the initiative the others follow soon.But shying away or ignoring the situation is something one should always avoid.

X

cmon x-machine,

unless you have atleast more than 4-5 people with you,u just cannot dare to do anything against 8 guys.
otherwise ,all you can do is maybe call the cops.
Old 19th March 2005, 18:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cool stuff samurai..
You love games don't you..
Actually I retired from PC gaming around the same time Sreenath retired from cricket. I haven't done any gaming since 2003, I don't have time for that now.

Quote:
one more suggestion - install flame throwers if you are surrounded then reverse out and zoom back...
sorry just felt like saying that...
Would have been nice.
Hmm, my suggestions were of realistic nature.
Old 19th March 2005, 18:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I know but i am obsessed with flame throwers.
Old 19th March 2005, 23:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Coming back to the subject of deserted roads, it depends a lot on location. As some members already suggested some parts of UP, Bihar could be very dangerous. I used to know a road near Udupi (Karnataka) which was dangerous after dark. Some people used to block the road with stones and rob cars. Not anymore since the traffic has increased on that road.

On deserted roads, these are some of the suggestions I can think of:

1) If you don't feel safe, shut the windows and lock the doors.

2) If you get into a bad situation, don't get out of the car. You are most safe in the car. Try using that 1000Kg monster as a battering ram and drive away. You can lodge the complaint at a later police station.

3) If you find the road blocked by stones, just reverse and return or try to go from the side. Don't get out and remove the stone, that's a trap.

4) Carrying weapons like bats or hockey stick can make you feel safe, but may also make you over confident enough to get out of the car. How many people really know how to use a weapon? Most people just know to swing it. But if you don't know how to block/parry and counterattack, your fight will be a short one. Any weapon in a untrained hand can only give a psychological edge against an amature robber. But professional robbers work in groups and can easily disarm you. Therefore, in a life threatening situation stay in the car, and use the biggest weapon you got, your car.

5) If you want to get out and stretch your legs, you can do so. But be aware of your surroundings, choose a place with very good visibility in all direction. If you see somebody coming towards you, make sure you are close enough to the car for a quick getaway.

It could be all very harmless, it just depends on your threat perception.
I agree that unless you know how to use a weapon correctly, its almost useless. But you can intimidate the other guy which coul save your life. Or instead of taking a bat with us, i think it would be better to take you along.
Old 20th March 2005, 18:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
Or instead of taking a bat with us, i think it would be better to take you along.
That may not be very useful . Some of the Bangalore members have already met me, I am not scary looking or even a tall guy. Besides, I would use violence only as a very last resort. Therefore, I would try to resolve a fight without violence even at the cost looking like a coward.
Old 20th March 2005, 19:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
carrying chilli powder in ur pockets can help save you
but it can get you into serious trouble when used on a public road.

This incident happened in my area itself. A REVA guy was arguing with a 800 guy. The 800 guy was with his family in the car, and had a small kid too. The REVA guy was with a girl. They argued for a stupid reason and the REVA girl handed the guy a chili spray. The REVA guy went up to the 800 guy and sprayed it in his face. In the process, it also affected the public AND also the small kid and their eyes were burning!!! The public was furious and they beat the REVA guy very very badly. They even tore his shirt and were kicking him in the chest. Not sure, but they broke his windshield and wipers too.

So just take care and use any weapon only in defense and as a last option.
Old 20th March 2005, 19:23   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
The public was furious and they beat the REVA guy very very badly. They even tore his shirt and were kicking him in the chest. Not sure, but they broke his windshield and wipers too.
Exactly, this is what violence achieves. Most people don't understand this until they have first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
So just take care and use any weapon only in defense and as a last option.
Right on. My tips were for deserted area situation when you are about to be robbed. There is no reason to have to mercy on them. Even the law will be on your side.

However don't get into unnecessary physical fights on normal streets especially where you have to drive by frequently. They are never worth it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks