Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2005, 20:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

nobody is safe in india,especially deserted locations.........go buy a nice reliable car and apply for ammunition licence.
Old 21st March 2005, 01:11   #32
LLL
BHPian

Quote:

However don't get into unnecessary physical fights on normal streets especially where you have to drive by frequently. They are never worth it.
True. getting into a street fight is inviting trouble for no reason. cops are useless and wont/cant catch their frnd who pays them that something extra at end of month..

You dont want to end up messing with goons. You dont know whether the other guy is some big shots son-in-law or a local businessman who bribes the cops regularly...
Old 21st March 2005, 13:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

However don't get into unnecessary physical fights on normal streets especially where you have to drive by frequently. They are never worth it.

this is what happened to me about 4 years back. a biker was about to crash into me .so i just yelled at him to drive properly.since i used to work out regularly ,i had this feeling that i could easily take 2-3 guys like that biker.
so i just got out my car at 830 pm in the night and started arguing with him .little did i know that he was the nephew of the local MLA .when it got physical ,i bashed him and another guy really bad.

then everyone starting running from all directions with bats and rods and all i could do was defend myself.as my so-called friends who were with me in the car just disappeared.
i could have run away ,but for this i had to leave my car on the road as i had no time to get into it.so i stayed there and was hit badly with bats,rods and dunno wat else.
luckily they did not do anything to my car.

afterwards i heard that even when i was lying unconscious on the road ,they had kicked my face .

then when the police came and took me to the hospital,all they did was to warn me against lodging a complaint.
its another thing that i had a more than similar treatment meted out to those guys later on through my other contacts.but,all this could have been avoided if i had not got out of my car to fight with that "lukka" thin biker.

when i saw myself on the mirror i just could not recognise myself with my lips swollen,and me deaf on one ear .
but iwas happy that my car was untouched.

so now after that incident ,even now if anyone does anything rash ,i just dont bother to say anything or show the middle finger ,i just drive on.

so guys be careful

Last edited by speedsatya : 21st March 2005 at 13:51.
Old 21st March 2005, 14:02   #34
BHPian

Oh man,
sorry to hear that.. Good u r fine..
But even though we try to keep quite, some people(the really dumb lot) just wont let us keep quite.. U end up shouting all sorts of stuff.. Till now nothing physical has happened though..
Old 21st March 2005, 14:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Satya - now i know the secret behind your craziness !! it was this brawl and not what the tantrik told you !
Old 21st March 2005, 14:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Man! Satya, that was scary.
Old 21st March 2005, 17:04   #37
Team-BHP Support

That was a scary story Satya, but that's what happens. Lots of people don't think straight under such situations. Always think ahead, you may win the first fight, but what next?

I can recall few very tight situations where I managed to walk away without getting physical. In one case when I was twenty I received a few slaps on the face in front of my classmates (mostly girls). One of my classmate (guy) who was also subjected to same treatment tried to push the attacker and was immediately bashed up by 3-4 guys. I could have punched a hole through my skinny attacker (I could do 100 non-stop knuckle pushups those days). However, I kept my mind on his 30 odd friends who were happily watching the fun. I could have downed him in few seconds, but what about his friends? Even if I had managed to run away that day, they'd wait until I return to college. Therefore, I simply didn't react, I didn't move, I kept saying I had no issues with him. After a few slaps he felt silly when I didn't get provoked. Besides he started getting dirty looks from the girls. Even his friends started getting uneasy due to my ahimsa stance. He backed off very disappointed. And he (or they) never bothering me later. As far as I was concerned I had won that fight, and that was the first time I had ever tested the saying on my signature. BTW, 20 minutes later when I was telling my friends about it, I couldn't keep my hands from shaking with fear. Ofcourse, they didn't understand what I was talking about, victory without sword, etc...

Last edited by Samurai : 21st March 2005 at 17:07.
Old 21st March 2005, 19:32   #38
BHPian

Satya, that must have been a very scary and painful experience. Thanks for sharing.

Samurai, I really admire your self-control under provocation. Not many of us would have the brains not to fight back under such a situation. And because of that, most of us would get badly hurt.
Old 21st March 2005, 19:42   #39
BHPian

wow, scary stories there - samurai, speedsatya..

i guess i would have to be as cautious as samurai was - i have a wife at home, have no connections with the police/mla's etc and probably would run out of my life savings very easily if i landed with something serious in the hospital.

though i have had verbal spats with autodrivers / reckless and rash drivers and those devil may care morons on bikes, nothing worse has happened than verbal fights and i am glad.

i have seen that the easiest way to get out of a tough situation is to apologise for your mistake - if you have made one. i seem to cool down immediately when the driver who i'm cursing apologises...

of course - the original topic was how safe you are from robbers on deserted roads - i guess, it's a matter of your luck. the mumbai - pune expressway has had it's fare share of robberies and murders - i would tend to agree with samurai again.

your car is your biggest weapon - use it effectively. if you are somehow out of your car, protect yourself and your family at all costs - no money is worth the loss of life of your nearest and dearest.

i have a steering lock rod with me - i have never used it in a self defense situation - but i guess, if push comes to shove and there's no peace left to explore - there lies the solace of that metal weapon.

lets hope that no one has to suffer the bitter brutality of road rage and highway robbery.

peace to all - wot say?
Old 21st March 2005, 21:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Did someone mention road rage?
Man it can get the best of me at times (read autorickshaws, bst busses, cabbies). But like others have mentioned...its never a good idea to get into a fight. Listen to some good music and think about good thoughts...thats what i do to control myself...and it works...atleast sometimes.

Drifter
Old 22nd March 2005, 08:20   #41
LLL
BHPian

its a good idea not to initiate a fight. its also good idea to get out of a situation which seems to be turning ugly.

However, if the other guy turns violent, then get into the battle with full might...

A long iron rod with a sharp point or a can of petrol might be handy....
Old 22nd March 2005, 13:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL

However, if the other guy turns violent, then get into the battle with full might...

its a really stupid idea to carry a rod and that too with pointed end. this can backfire on you.and isnt it an offence to carry a weapon on you.

the other guy will not turn violent unless u provoke him.
even if its his fault ,it better to simply smile and say sorry.
it works.
Old 22nd March 2005, 14:55   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL

That's a very bad idea. Carrying a sharp weapon without the skill or discipline to use it is a very bad idea. It can be easily turned against you. A simple skirmish can turn into a murder situation. I own many martial arts weapons, but none of them are sharp. Even the swords I have are all wooden bokkens, deadly only in an expert's hand. I wanted to buy a real functional samurai battle sword, after struggling with the idea for many months I finally gave up on it. It is simply too dangerous to keep in a house with kids. Just like a gun it will attract too much attention and every visitor (kid or adult) wants to check it out and somebody is bound to get hurt.

Actually I don't keep any weapon in the car. It is simply too tempting to use it under roadrage situations if I have one.
Old 23rd March 2005, 03:43   #44
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
its a really stupid idea to carry a rod and that too with pointed end. this can backfire on you.and isnt it an offence to carry a weapon on you.

the other guy will not turn violent unless u provoke him.
even if its his fault ,it better to simply smile and say sorry.
it works.
Please read and re-read my post. However if you still dont find the first line, here it is -

its a good idea not to initiate a fight. its also good idea to get out of a situation which seems to be turning ugly.
Old 23rd March 2005, 03:44   #45
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
That's a very bad idea. Carrying a sharp weapon without the skill or discipline to use it is a very bad idea. It can be easily turned against you. A simple skirmish can turn into a murder situation. I own many martial arts weapons, but none of them are sharp. Even the swords I have are all wooden bokkens, deadly only in an expert's hand. I wanted to buy a real functional samurai battle sword, after struggling with the idea for many months I finally gave up on it. It is simply too dangerous to keep in a house with kids. Just like a gun it will attract too much attention and every visitor (kid or adult) wants to check it out and somebody is bound to get hurt.

Actually I don't keep any weapon in the car. It is simply too tempting to use it under roadrage situations if I have one.
I think fighting a goon with bare hands is a very bad idea.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks