Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think of the centerally placed console?
I do not want to be distracted while driving. I Want it behind the steering. 98 65.77%
I do not mind taking my eyes off the road. I would still buy a car with a central console 5 3.36%
Position of the console does not make a difference to my driving. 46 30.87%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 12:55   #16
BHPian

i would prefer a centre mounted console only if its digital as seen in Renault's international vehicles.
Old 26th August 2008, 13:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
in Aviation also they are coming up with glass mounted HU and perhaps Car manufacturers can borrow that idea.
It already exists in some cars, Nissan Infiniti being one.

OT: In fighter planes, the HUD image is formed at infinity focal length. So, not only the pilot is not required to take his eyes off the cockpit windscreen, he doesn't have to alter the eye's focal length either. It's as if the image is being formed in the sky in front.

Head-up display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 26th August 2008, 13:22   #18
BANNED

I haven't found that to be a distracting feature till today. Yes, I have driven some cars with this centre thingy.
Maybe it is if not designed properly.

Infact I did love the way Toyota has executed this:
Center Console?-toyota_yaris3.jpg
Soon, I will be driving one!
Old 26th August 2008, 13:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

I do not remember me looking the Tacho or Speedo to shift gears or find the speed I am travelling at - it just comes to your mind thru habit / steering feedback / Engine's drone.

Turn indicators switch themselves off - I do not need to see the console even if they don't, they have their familiar tick if they are on

Hand-brake - I will definitely know if they are on before I move the car 10 feet! I am also habituated to check if they are engaged several times as i drive (don't really know why?!!)

Warning lamps - how many times does a temperature or oil or battery warning comes up while driving a car that is, say 3 ~ 5 years old? And even if the console is in the center, I am sure every driver would get the feel that "something has changed / not right" even if it is behind his head - and something that is to the left (instead of down) would definitely catch his / her attention - that is the case for me for sure, am very much aware of myself and my surroundings when i am behind the wheel.

That said, center or not depends on the owner's tastes - it does not make any difference, and will not stop from buying a car with a center console - a diesel car, at that!
Old 26th August 2008, 13:34   #20
BHPian

When I learnt driving, we had an amby in the family, there was no intigrated console at that time and Speedo was in the centre in addition the gear shift was near the steering conlumn. But still never found it to be odd or distracting.

It is a matter of perception more then anything else. I wouldnt avoide a car just because of that.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I haven't found that to be a distracting feature till today. Yes, I have driven some cars with this centre thingy.
Maybe it is if not designed properly.

Infact I did love the way Toyota has executed this:
Attachment 42469
Soon, I will be driving one!
best thing about Toyota Yaris's central consile is that it faces the driver i.e its at angle and not straightly set in as the Spark or Indica Vista
Old 26th August 2008, 14:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

It just take getting used to the position. After all, generations of us grew up learning how to drive with the ugly lump of tin with four wheels that used to have a center console till a decade or so ago, didn't we?. It The center console is easier and also a cost saving measure for manufacturers to switch from RHD to LHD for export markets.

Last edited by nickatnite : 26th August 2008 at 14:30.
Old 26th August 2008, 15:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
generations of us grew up learning how to drive with the ugly lump of tin with four wheels that used to have a center console till a decade or so ago
Now that comment has all the possibility of being flamed by our classics fans !!!

But yeah, we never had a problem with an Amby or a Fiat with the all-so-many dials and switches in the center - and this is only a matter of getting used to.
Old 26th August 2008, 15:11   #24
BHPian

I don't mind the console being in the center as long as the aesthetics is not affected. If the entire dashboard looks good with the center console i am fine with it. Personally I don't really feel that a center console is a distraction while driving. In all cars the ICE and A/C controls are in the center. Its similar to that. I feel that is just one's perception. We are so used to the console behind the steering wheel that we are finding it difficult to accept change from the general norms
Old 26th August 2008, 15:11   #25
BHPian

To that this discussion in a tangential mode :

I would prefer a console that comes in front of my eyes only when i want to read or observe some data on it - like the tacho or the distance to empty or fuel indicator or the speed ( if i am driving in US) and any other warning lights.

At other times i would prefer it to disappear ( i wish BMW or Aston Martin bring up something of this sort in the next bond movie) altogether. All this to happen at the flick of a button -- What say
Old 26th August 2008, 15:20   #26
BHPian

No Center console for me, I would any day prefer it the traditional way.
Old 26th August 2008, 16:08   #27
BHPian

I hate centre console. I dont want to take my eyes off the road just to read the dials. I want the dials in the line of view itself. I vote for the First option
Old 26th August 2008, 17:39   #28
BHPian

Not at all distracting, hence makes no difference !

Hold on guys. This thread is totally misleading. I have been driving my Sparky for almost a year now which has so called central console.

BackSeatDriver, the speedo located at the side of the steering wheel is not more distracting than the one located behind the steering. You don't have to take your eyes off the road or turn your neck to check the speed.

In fact, this center console is more helpful to me because during long drives, co-driver (my wife) can easily check the ODO for total distance travelled and better navigate the journey.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:45   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I detest center consoles, and would like my speedo / RPM gauges right where they belong. This is an area that I can get really finicky about. Heck, I don't even like the LHD speedo / RHD rpm arrangement in the C, or the digital speedo of the Civic. Ideal layout : Console right behind the steering with a big chrome-ringed rpm gauge on the left and speedo on the right.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would like the console behind steering. Just a glance at it and continue driving. But if it is in centre, then we need to lean towards left and then have a look especially the odo with extreme left. Will distract the attention (on roads) a couple of seconds for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks