Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think of the centerally placed console?
I do not want to be distracted while driving. I Want it behind the steering. 98 65.77%
I do not mind taking my eyes off the road. I would still buy a car with a central console 5 3.36%
Position of the console does not make a difference to my driving. 46 30.87%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 18:04   #31
Team-BHP Support

Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of looking at the Speedo when driving?

any reason apart from maintaining a prescribed speed limit.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Central console is Acceptable

Friends,

This is an opinion one needs to form, when the person is looking to buy a vehicle with a central console.

Please do not go by someone else's comments.

As for me, I confirm that the central console is NOT a problem and is not a big deal or does not require special efforts [as claimed, in turning heads, rotating eyes and all that]. It's just a glance. Instead of looking down, you look at the side.

And it's not like the console is in front of the co passanger's seat in the front. It's only in the middle, close to the driver, so your eye balls are not required to pop out either.

I have just had a test drive of the Vista yesterday, so I am eligible to confirm this. Members do not exaggerate.

Cheers. ak.
Old 26th August 2008, 19:08   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
would like my speedo / RPM gauges right where they belong. This is an area that I can get really finicky about. Heck, I don't even like the LHD speedo / RHD rpm arrangement in the C, or the digital speedo of the Civic. Ideal layout : Console right behind the steering with a big chrome-ringed rpm gauge on the left and speedo on the right.
Slightly OT:
What is the norm? For an RHD country, should the tachometer be on the RHS? This is what Tata follows. The KB motorcycles had the tacho on the RHS as well.

The Fiesta has it on the LHS but the stalks are LHD oriented as well.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:48   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is the norm? For an RHD country, should the tachometer be on the RHS? This is what Tata follows. The KB motorcycles had the tacho on the RHS as well.
Japanese cars usually have the revv-gauge to the left, while their European counterparts have it on the right (irrespective of LHD or RHD). I think I have gotten used to all those years of looking at the Vtec redline and much prefer the Japanese arrangement.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:52   #35
Team-BHP Support

There is one thing that has always remained in the center.
It takes more focus and is absolutly important for safe driving.
The information it shows keeps changing every second and we use it a lot more than a speedo.

Its called the Rear View Mirror.
If you can use that. you can use the the central speedo console as well.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

The center console is an eye-sore. I dont glance at the console except when I start to look at warnings etc and dont keep looking at the speedometer.
It just looks a little odd sitting there - just my opinion.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
There is one thing that has always remained in the center.
It takes more focus and is absolutly important for safe driving.
The information it shows keeps changing every second and we use it a lot more than a speedo.

So just like the RVMs, there should be three speedo consols: centre, LHS and RHS. Not a bad idea!
Old 27th August 2008, 18:50   #38
BHPian

For me it's a matter of driving ergonomics more than anything else. i feel more comfortable if its behind the steering wheel. It's not that i cannot drive a car with centre console, it just ain't comfortable.

To illustrate this assume a simple computer mouse and assume that you are a right handed person. Now if i place the mouse on your left you will still be able to use it, but will it be comfortable. I don't think so.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:31   #39
BHPian

The obvious advantage of the console being in center is that it is visible equally to co-passenger others in the car. This makes sense sometimes.

But from a pure driving and driver standpoint, I would not be comfortable with it.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:46   #40
BANNED

Nice to see the ideas being articulated. Hope the manufacturers taking them into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Heh. Agree with this partly. But, even as we look into the mirror, it is the duty of the driver of the vehicle IN the mirror to be safe (w.r.t us). But the speedo and other indicators are a different ball game altogether.

Will anybody of us see an ABS warning light comign on, if it is a part of the centeral console?

And on more than one occasion, I had put on the turn indicator to what I thought was the half way mark (to indicate lane changing); but it remained on coz. I had pushed it full way through. I knew because the turn indicator light is on the speedo; not sure if I would have noticed if the indicator light was on the center.

PS:- I mean the "instrument cluster" - not just the gear and HU mounting thingie, which is often referred to as the "console".

PPS:- bblost - it is aMritam; not anritam.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:57   #41
BHPian

Imagine driving in the night and complete darkness behind the wheel! thats creepy, i will surely fall asleep.
The need to monitor the guages during driving is most during the run in period of the car when one needs to keep an eye on the rpm, speed etc. The centre consol will prove to be a pain in the neck then (literally!). Maybe one needs to drive rally style where the co-driver will keep monitoring the guages!!
Old 28th August 2008, 14:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have never driven a vehicle with central console but it seems odd. But may not be uncomfortable at all once one gets used to it.
Old 28th August 2008, 16:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Maybe one needs to drive rally style where the co-driver will keep monitoring the guages!!
I would not make such a fuss about the central mounted Console. It actually doesn't matter. It only a thing of getting used to. On 12th July i was traveling to Badravathi for a friends wedding. and on our way back was driving his uncles Spark. It took me not more than a KM before i got adjusted to the central console.

The only problem for me was that his aunt kept on reminding me that i have crossed 100kmph. Other than that it did not make any difference to me.

I feel all you guys before committing anything or making any preconceived notions you must drive for a few km's and you will all realize that there is no difference at all.
Old 28th August 2008, 17:16   #44
BHPian

I drove a Spark yesterday for about 80 kms (both day and night time). I did not find it any diferent and had no difficulty whatsoever.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:00   #45
BHPian

Not really one for central controls.
Used to have it on My old amby as well.
Have to take your eyes off the road n all that.
Plus in those days you had to keep a sharp eye on temp & altenator gauges,
hose could give trouble at any time without warnong

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks