Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think of the centerally placed console?
I do not want to be distracted while driving. I Want it behind the steering. 98 65.77%
I do not mind taking my eyes off the road. I would still buy a car with a central console 5 3.36%
Position of the console does not make a difference to my driving. 46 30.87%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 22:10   #1
BANNED

Center Console?

In those young days, when I had to stand on the front passenger seat to see in front of the car, when I had to choose between the grand old amby and an ancient Fiat "safari" we owned, I always would vote for the safari. Why? simply because it sounded nicer, and had a console behind the steering wheel. For some reason, that is what I always liked.

Several years down the line, while hunting for my first car (and the first in the family after a rather loongish gap), I had the choice of waiting for a couple of months for the spark from the GM stable. I choose not to; because the spark had the center console.

Now that the vista (ugh. A large number of us hate other products with the same name, don't we?) is creating waves, on the exteriors, and good (in comparasion to other Tata products), fit and finish, some of us are already saying "nah" to the vista due to its center console.

Other things being equal, do you prefer a car with a center console?

Edit:- Hope this is in the right section.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 25th August 2008 at 22:15.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

i think i would never buy a car with a centraly located console unless it has some exceptionaly good qaulities.somethings should be left the way they need to , "everything changed" sometimes can be painfull
Old 25th August 2008, 22:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

I always wonder, who came up with this funny idea of center console and more importantly, why?

The only reason I can think of is, manufacturer doesn't have to worry about LHS or RHS driving. But, from end user perspective, I don't know how does it really help.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:51   #4
BHPian

Hi

Centre console is a cost cutting measure done by OEM's. Tata biggest example

Amit
Old 26th August 2008, 11:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Centre console is a cost cutting measure done by OEM's. Tata biggest example
Cost cutting measure by OEMs? Do you think OEM dictate terms to manufacturers? Isn't it the other way round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
The only reason I can think of is, manufacturer doesn't have to worry about LHS or RHS driving.
If the dashboard design is modular, you can still have LHS and RHS instrument clusters, using the same panels. Who knows this better than Tata Motors which had designed such a dashboard way back in 1988 for the Tatamobile. (The same dash appeared in Sierra and Estate too.) Even though the instrument cluster was in front of the driver, LHS and RHS versions could be produced using the same panels. An ingenious design I must say.

I sat in a sationary Vista and did not find the central console to be distracting. However, given the option, I prefer it in front of the driver.

Last edited by directinjection : 26th August 2008 at 11:33. Reason: spelling correction
Old 26th August 2008, 11:29   #6
BHPian

Yes centre console is the cost cutting measure, as for the export models ( left hand drive countries) the OEM don't need move the console. In the same batch they can have the models produced for Domestic as well as for the export market.

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 26th August 2008 at 11:30.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:34   #7
BHPian

i just dont like the central consoles. I think i would be extremely uncomfortable driving one with the central console. It just takes the fun out of driving.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

This might not sound quite right to most people, but more than the distraction, I find Central Consoles to be "disharmonious".

Car cockpits should be "built around" the driver. They should envelope the driver. Its not about having to turn one's sideways or up and down. Driving is about experience, not just functionality.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

I assume centre console here means the central area where HVAC controls and head unit of ICE and GPS are located or is there any gap in my understanding ?

What Cars are there in Indian market with out centre console ?
Tata's , Hyundai and Marutis have centre console. ( Not yet seen SX4, Baleno and Sonata interiors ) also a rented BMW SUV I drove abroad and merc taxis have it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
This might not sound quite right to most people, but more than the distraction, I find Central Consoles to be "disharmonious".

Car cockpits should be "built around" the driver. They should envelope the driver. Its not about having to turn one's sideways or up and down. Driving is about experience, not just functionality.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well i remember the old ambys and Jeeps which had these in the center but common you could not go really fast on these. I still love the console behind the Steering wheel as your passengers dont know what speed your maintaining.
Would it be nice to hear your passenger go like 100, 101, 103 etc etc. No way its too irritating
Old 26th August 2008, 11:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

I have never understood the need for the cluster itself.
Makes no difference to me where it is or even if it is.

Only the indication lighs like parking brake, Engine have some use.

Ok so if you drive in a speed restricted zone then it helps remind you of speed limits.
But I have no use whatsoever for the console.
Throw them all out.

Project the indicators lights on the windscreen to make me happy.
speeod-odo be damned.
Old 26th August 2008, 12:15   #12
BHPian

I find it very odd looking at the centre console. If we are doing high speeds it does not make sense to look at the centre consloe to check speed. Secondly if any warning light comes on when driving it will not be seen easily.
Old 26th August 2008, 12:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

I hate the centraly-mounted instrument consoles too! In front of the driver is where the console belongs.

The only exception I can think of, is when the console is mounted centrally as part of a retro or neo-retro theme, with the theme extending to the rest of the car. Even then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I assume centre console here means the central area where HVAC controls and head unit of ICE and GPS are located or is there any gap in my understanding ?
BackSeatDriver is referring to the trend of putting the gauges (Speedo/Tacho/Fuel etc) in the center of the dashboard instead of behind the steering wheel, and in front of the driver. The New Indica Vista & the Chevy Spark have such centrally-mounted instrument consoles.
Old 26th August 2008, 12:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

I personally do not like the center console. I think we have already seen the X trail and Spark with that function . Even Toyota has been mounting it in the center now a days ( Vios & Yaris) . I hope that disease doesnt spread to other car manufacturers. It ll take some more time till we accept it .
Old 26th August 2008, 12:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I hate the centraly-mounted instrument consoles too! In front of the driver is where the console belongs.

BackSeatDriver is referring to the trend of putting the gauges (Speedo/Tacho/Fuel etc) in the center of the dashboard instead of behind the steering wheel, and in front of the driver. The New Indica Vista & the Chevy Spark have such centrally-mounted instrument consoles.
Aah got it now so I am yet to drive a Car with Centre Consoles but I do not think it is a god idea , Looks like some designer came up with crazy idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I personally do not like the center console. I think we have already seen the X trail and Spark with that function . Even Toyota has been mounting it in the center now a days ( Vios & Yaris) . I hope that disease doesnt spread to other car manufacturers. It ll take some more time till we accept it .
Yes I do not understand what functionality is being added by this center console. Afterall this is not a plane cockpit with a a pilot and copilot who can exchange the roles.
in Aviation also they are coming up with glass mounted HU and perhaps Car manufacturers can borrow that idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks