Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2011, 17:47   #151
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Cops to penalise Music in Cars !!

@iqbal veerji : what you did was the right thing imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I feel my word are falling on deaf ears
I agree with you about LOUD music hampering your responses while driving. But the case in point is, the cops had banned music altogether. I am yet not convinced how a mild melody can do harm while driving.

Also another point is how much is LOUD? I am sure in most cases, the cops wouldnt have a decibel meter. This would mean uninformed citizens ending up paying a bribe (most of the time). So wouldnt banning music altogether mean another bribe seeking opportunity for the cops?

Last edited by razrman : 17th December 2011 at 17:49.
Old 17th December 2011, 17:55   #152
BHPian

Am I missing something here? I know about the stupid press conference, but I couldn't find it listed as an offence on the Mumbai Traffic Police website, and that one is pretty updated (it has the DUI bit with all the tolerances mentioned), so where exactly is this offence listed? Would really appreciate some light on this. Oh an there actually is a list of offences in a pdf file downloadable from the Mumbai Traffic Police website, doesn't have the offence listed, maybe we should throw that in their face!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf offences%20list.pdf (107.4 KB, 3044 views)

Last edited by da_lowrider : 17th December 2011 at 17:58. Reason: Additional Info
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 00:12   #153
BHPian

Quote:
I feel my word are falling on deaf ears

For the sake of continuing the debate, I will ask whether one can drive looking at the rear view mirror most of the time. One need to look into the rear view mirrors only when he is anticipating a braking or a lane change. All the other times, he is supposed to look ahead. How do one see the extremely eye-catching blue + red light, if the ambulance is stuck behind another vehicle behind him, where as he him-selves might be going at his own sweet pace enjoying the ICE? In fact, in all my personal experience, it was the siren of the ambulance that made me look into the rear view mirror, to spot an ambulance and slow down to give way, not the light of the ambulance.
It's not necessary that one should look in the rear view mirrors ONLY before braking or changing lanes; I, for one keep checking and adjusting my rear view mirrors time to time. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

If one has an ambulance behind a vehicle following his car, and is not able to see the ambulance's flashy blue lights or hear it's siren, it's upto the driver behind him to flash his headlights in order to let him know that there's an emergency. I'm sure one never misses someone flashing their high beams in the rear view mirrors!

About ICE! In my opinion, it's absolutely unjustified to be charged with playing loud music in one's car. Afterall, it's YOUR car and it's YOUR ICE and most importantly, bought by YOUR hard earned money! Now if the law has a problem with loud music systems in cars, why let manufacturers come up with such kinds of products? All you need to do is set parameters for the maximum output of a particular music device to be allowed to be produced. Now this point is also applicable to speed limits, but let's not go there.

So what my POV is, is that as long as entertainment products are available in the market for consumers to purchase legally, those who can afford, will buy the best of the lot. And I think, THAT is totally justified. However, if the law states that after you buy a high end music system, you cannot crank it up in your car, I don't think that is really fair. And that too under the disguise of creating noise pollution or advising us what is harmful to us while we drive! Gimme a break! We know what is bad for us when we drive and what would cause distractions! We all know our capacity of concentration when it comes to driving with music on and following road manners. So, if ever such a law is passed, I don't think it'll stick around for long!
Old 18th December 2011, 13:00   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Is it safe to do so? - Yes and No - Depends on the circumstances but sometimes one needs a high to get away from the various distractions and stress in life.

Should it be fined? - Yes - But not bribed.

Is music at loud volume a distaction to Horn? - Yes & No.

Let us not fool ourselves we are all in favour of safe driving and we all do know that hearing music loudly is a distraction (more or less depending upon the person / circumstances) and yet in the practical world we would still listen to music at high volume atleast some of the time (else the car companies too can be resticted on the max volume that the player inside the car will play) (just as there is a limit on the Lux levels of the head lights and the sound of the horn).

The thing is about us all being reasonable with the volume level and what we all are also against is a fine created just to result in a convenient bribe. The rule is fine but it is all about a neutral implementation.
I really appreciate and pretty much agree to all the points of such a level-headed and thoughtful view, which stands out from the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
I, for one keep checking and adjusting my rear view mirrors time to time.
Earlier, I too used to check the mirrors quite often, but then I found it to be a distracting habit rather than a necessity. I changed it since I want to concentrate more on what is ahead than at the back, such is the traffic explosion in Kerala.

Quote:
I'm sure one never misses someone flashing their high beams in the rear view mirrors!
True, except when one is deeply engrossed in his ICE like when he is on top of the song being played.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:56   #155
BHPian

Quote:
True, except when one is deeply engrossed in his ICE like when he is on top of the song being played.
One can't be deeply engrossed in any other activity while they drive; not listening to music or talking on the handsfree! It's impossible, unless you're being chauffeured!
Old 27th January 2012, 15:54   #156
BHPian

If you cannot play music in your car as per law as stated by DCP then the first step that he should take up is ban all the car production units which are setup in Maharashtra region from producing any car which comes with factory fitted ICE. Did he not do a study on those accidents which were avoided due to music being played in the car.

On long trips if there is no music in car, driver may feel drowsy and that may lead to accident. People play music so that they can concentrate on driving.

While driving apart from physical stress, your mind also gets stressed and music is one of the best way by which mind can be relaxed while driving.

This is just my opinion and people may differ from it.
Gadgetfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 16:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
If you cannot play music in your car as per law as stated by DCP then the first step that he should take up is ban all the car production units which are setup in Maharashtra region from producing any car which comes with factory fitted ICE. Did he not do a study on those accidents which were avoided due to music being played in the car.

On long trips if there is no music in car, driver may feel drowsy and that may lead to accident. People play music so that they can concentrate on driving.

While driving apart from physical stress, your mind also gets stressed and music is one of the best way by which mind can be relaxed while driving.

This is just my opinion and people may differ from it.
LOL, the irony of law enforcement in India is that POLICE always catches the soft target = common public.

I agree completely with your second point as well as the de-stressing ability of music - especially in the chaotic traffic of our cities - thanks to the "efficient policing".
Old 27th January 2012, 17:44   #158
Senior - BHPian

I think the whole idea of the rule is to drive with music but at low volume levels so that it does not interfere with driving. I doubt anyone is imposing a no-music-at-all rule.

Don't know about others, but I can't drive in the city traffic with loud music - feels like I am not connected to the traffic environment - feel like I will miss cues from other road-users. So during the day it is FM at low volume. And when driving home late in the night with minimal or nil traffic, I increase the volume a bit. And on free-flowing highways too.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:42   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
LOL, the irony of law enforcement in India is that POLICE always catches the soft target = common public.

I agree completely with your second point as well as the de-stressing ability of music - especially in the chaotic traffic of our cities - thanks to the "efficient policing".
Hi Friends,

Did not hear anything more on this and was not able to get the information on proceedings of enforcement of this useless, money minting (For Cops) law.

Has this been abolished or ACP is still going good with enforcement of this? If this happens then other states may also follow not for anything except to make name fame and money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks