Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 10:10   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Today's times has covered the issue. Now cops says they are not against music, they are only against loud music in certain areas. Page 2 covers the article on this as well.

So looks like, thats a sudden U turn for orders...
Was expecting it. The overzelous DCP who untill yesterday was mouthing absurdities like "music is distraction and even though the fine is 100 we will charge 500.." is now saying he actually meant not a full ban but it should not be loud.
I ask them, what is "Loud"? how will you define "Loud"?
Someone read the rules, interpreted it and now the cops have again twisted the defination. What is loud to one would bre soft to another.
Is there a decible threshold to adhere to?
Playing loud music, so as it dusturbs anyone in a Residential area or a Hospital or in a silence zone is forbidden. Thats no news. That law was already there. The interpretation is wrong.
Maybe the traffic cops should concentrate on other irritants like Cabs parking in the middle of the road, drivers spitting pan on the road, air horns, dangerous lane cutting, jaywalking and so many other traffic woes we motorists face. For heaven's sake, they hanen't been able to curb helmet-less two wheeler riding.
Sometime ago they were hauling cars with Zenon lights saying they are illegal.
Someone should teach then a lesson. This is ridiculous.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:27   #107
BHPian

Give someone a stick and a rule book. He will quickly discover the utility of the stick and use it without bothering about the rule book. Same with our Mumbai police.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:33   #108
Senior - BHPian

I feel the particular DCP should be reprimanded by the seniors for shooting off so carelessly to the Media.
Guess he was looking for his two seconds of fame.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

Its good that this has stupid decision has been reversed. However, one really wonders at the caliber of the folks in charge who made these declarations in the first place. So much newsprint, time and energy wasted on a Non Issue.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:36   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I feel the particular DCP should be reprimanded by the seniors for shooting off so carelessly to the Media.
Guess he was looking for his two seconds of fame.
You are right V- 16. He was completely irresponsible. Like Spiderman's uncle said, with great power comes great responsibility. This guy didn't consider that.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:36   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was expecting it. The overzelous DCP who untill yesterday was mouthing absurdities like "music is distraction and even though the fine is 100 we will charge 500.." is now saying he actually meant not a full ban but it should not be loud.
Me thinks that the cops were merely dropping a hint to gauge public reaction. Now that they have realised the absurdity of their potential plan, statements are being changed.

Quote:
I ask them, what is "Loud"? how will you define "Loud"?
Let's give them some credit. For one, this rule has always been in implementation. The only time I have been pulled over for loud music was when it was really loud i.e. could be heard outside the car, even from a distance.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:39   #112
BHPian

If we search the rule books, we will probably find some decibel levels mentioned in some moth eaten page. When laws are made, these things are considered. That they do not get read and/or implemented is another matter altogether.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:44   #113
BHPian

See the report of the Police course correction in today's Mid-day :
Music while driving is relaxing, not disturbing, say Mumbaikars

What takes the cake is again our Police hero Mr. Sabde's statement quoted below :
Meanwhile, S M Sabde, DCP (suburban traffic), said that although people have objected to the ban on music, they must follow the law. "We will harass only those who violate traffic rules and the Motor Vehicle Act."
So he is out to harass come what may !!
Old 28th August 2008, 16:34   #114
Senior - BHPian

Here is a clarification from Harish Baijal, Deputy Commissioner of Police-Traffic.

Mr. Baijal was instrumental in forcing the Traffic Department to crackdown on 'Drunken Driving'. And i really applaud his efforts.

X
Old 28th August 2008, 17:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Oh crap! ICE dealers were already beginning to dream up big plans of un-installation charges.
Old 28th August 2008, 17:40   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Oh crap! ICE dealers were already beginning to dream up big plans of un-installation charges.
Ohh gunnu paaji you read my mind too infact yesterday evening a person paid me for removing his full setup from swift as he was upgrading to a NHC
Old 28th August 2008, 20:06   #117
Senior - BHPian

Why do cops, all over, come out with such non-implementable hairbrained ideas? Some time back in Delhi they, in collusion with some Judge, came out with a ban on tinted glasses, because there was a spate of rapes, robberies etc., committed by car borne criminals.

Many many cars were stripped of the film and challaned as well. Like so many other campaign of theirs this too fizzled out. Now I see many cars with very dark film on their glasses and nothing seems to happen to them.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:13   #118
Team-BHP Support

hmmm now theyre saying that only if the music can be heard 15 ft away from the car will the driver be fined.
Old 29th August 2008, 07:46   #119
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Keep your music on while driving

Senior Mumbai Police traffic officials on Wednesday rubbished media reports that said cops would impose a fine of Rs 500 on people who drove whilst listening to music.

"There is no such proposal,'' joint commissioner of police (traffic) Sanjay Barve said on Wednesday. Driving in Mumbai - with or without music - was enough to drive people crazy, officials said, and added that they had no intention of making things worse for motorists.

Maharashtra State rules allow cops to slap a Rs-500 fine only for loud music. Penalties are only if the music is so loud as to disturb peace in a residential neighbourhood.

Keep your music on while driving-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

Postscript: However anti-social rascals still abound. Maybe they should stipulate a limit and selectively fine people who install car sound systems with excessive music wattage. (or fiddled BHPs and noisy free-flows as they do in the developed world )
Old 29th August 2008, 19:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

I have already added Monster.com etc. to my IE favorites.

Most Viewed