Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 16:51   #136
BHPian

Forget what the paper says, I have already been fined for loud music just before Andheri subway around 8 late evening some 6 months back. This is while all my windows were up and the cop came running from the corner and stopped me.

Now he says your music is loud, I said all my windows are up and it was not loud and I am not disturbing anyone, got into various arguments and things they should focus at rather than picking up on such things, we reached a heated argument and I felt these people only know how to make our life hell.

There are auto's in the night who refuse to even switch their lights on, this is the most funniest thing, I urge you all to ask this question to auto guy if his lights are not on, you will get some of the best answers, try it...

Anyways then my headlights are angel eyes in the original Honda Civic headlight shape, he started talking on that, I have in-built indicators on the side mirrors of my car (just like some american cars), I told him this is useful, the person behind me can also see where I am turning (he said not allowed, disgusting), later I realised he was right, as no one uses indicator,they just turn thinking its their Dad's road , only the fog light was on, that's HID hardly was reaching 10 meters, he had a problem with that and finally the tint (tint I know is dark).

Overall, he needs money and I landed up paying him as he wasted some 30 minutes arguing.

This is the reality..

Cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 4th May 2010 at 16:55.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:55   #137
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
People have been pulled up for not following lane discipline especially at certain specific high density signals.
I fully agree.

While returning from Mumbai to Pune, I had this encounter with a cop at Ghatkopar [West]. My MMI Lx130 navigator directed me to take a right turn after 300 m. So, I was looking for a space to go to the right lane from the middle lane. As soon as I got into the right lane, there was another junction with flickering signal. Two cops were managing the traffic manually. When he signaled go, I started going straight since I had to take right turn only at the next junction. Then, one of the cops stopped me, asked me to park my car at the left lane and started shouting in Marathi. I could guess what he meant: I did not follow the lane discipline, changed lanes and I should pay a fine of Rs 100. I told him in my broken Hindi that I had to turn right in the next junction, and hence, I took to the right lane because of heavy bumper-to-bumper peak hour traffic and I am going to Bangalore via Pune. By that time, he already opened his receipt book and asked for my driving licence, which I gave. After examining it, he thought for a while and started advising me that I should be looking for warning boards. I said, okay and sorry. After that he let me go without any financial loss to me. I thanked the friendly cop and quickly left the place so as to reach Pune.

Old 13th September 2011, 12:08   #138
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Cops to penalise Music in Cars !!

Why don't they ban using the AC as well? After all driving a vehicle with glasses rolled down would make for better audibility of honks.
Old 16th December 2011, 00:54   #139
Senior - BHPian

See, without giving it a hard re-thought, how many of us has thrown away our so called 'responsible community' tag so easily to bash the founding idea behind this. Are we really a responsible community by taking our blame on the police for other laws which are left unattended to, when one of our fetish is curbed?

I have not gone through all the pages of the thread, but wanted to know how many of us are aware / agree with the issues of loud ICE? More than the noise pollution, I am more concerned on the safety factor, the ICE deafening oncoming / overtaking traffic.

Yes, even the A/C fan at the highest speed can deaden outside noise, leading to safety concerns. But, as members of a top automobile community in the country, should not we more responsible in discussing the pros and cons, solutions and alternatives rather than blindly playing the blame game on such issues?
Old 16th December 2011, 08:40   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
See, without giving it a hard re-thought, how many of us has thrown away our so called 'responsible community' tag so easily to bash the founding idea behind this. Are we really a responsible community by taking our blame on the police for other laws which are left unattended to, when one of our fetish is curbed?

I have not gone through all the pages of the thread, but wanted to know how many of us are aware / agree with the issues of loud ICE? More than the noise pollution, I am more concerned on the safety factor, the ICE deafening oncoming / overtaking traffic.

Yes, even the A/C fan at the highest speed can deaden outside noise, leading to safety concerns. But, as members of a top automobile community in the country, should not we more responsible in discussing the pros and cons, solutions and alternatives rather than blindly playing the blame game on such issues?
AND Thats the reason you should use your eyes and visual aids to drive. This is the reason you should never honk at another 'Car'. You have your headights. Use the flasher!! Get the attention of the oncoming car. If mirrors are missing on some cars, fine them, ban them. Not the ones who are playing harmless music.

In most cars over B segment, the driver won't hear you over even at moderate sound on the ICE. In the more developed countries, Honking is equivalent to swearing. So if I wish to not hear the swears hurled at me, it is my personal choice. Why should I endure swears potentially hurled at somebody else?

Isn't the entire point of an ICE to make the drive more relaxing, reduce road rage, and make roads a safer place to be?

How does a 'Noisy AC blower' hamper your ability to look outside the car? If you cannot spot a car in your peripheral vision, you might as well stop driving and start taking public transport. There is no way your ears will help you in driving safer than your eyes can unless you happen to be blind in which case you *CANNOT* drive.

P.S.: We should really really have a rear bumper/boot-lid sticker. 'Stop Honking *Some-Swear-Word*, Use the flasher! I can't hear you anyways.'

Last edited by antz.bin : 16th December 2011 at 08:45.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 08:57   #141
BHPian

Atleast in Kolkata I have license to Play Music as I like. I do not have to fear any one. Is there any license to play music in car in Mumbai? What happens to Commercial vehicles? Does this rule mean that Volvo's can not play movies? Or, the so called vidio coaches are illegal? Lots of question. Kolkata volvo's play FM inside them (City) Volvo's so what about the Mumbai Volvo's. Now after so many questions, the Big question, why this law talks about only cars? Law should be equal for everyone, not selective.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 16th December 2011 at 09:02.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:03   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
This is by far the stupidest car related law i have heard.

Its only due to music that traveling throughout Mumbai in a car is still manageable. Just imagine getting stuck in a bad traffic on even worse roads and nothing to do. Atleast for me, its music that has been a saviour in such conditions.

Banning loud music, accepted. But banning music completely? Cops, what were you even thinking?
I was stopped by that cop in the morning, infact he was going to his so called chowki to take charge of duty from his stupid senior inspector for the day.
He asked me for the MDL as I was playing the music in the car TOO LOUD
and it is a offence and I will have to pay 1000/- fine.
Iasked him who has told you that loud music is a offence ? He said his senior inspector...
I asked him what decible level of music is permitted? he started looking at me, Iasked him where is the decible meter? What is a decible meter ?how can his ears judge the level?..No answer. I told him I am parking the car on the side of the road and told him to get these answers from his senior who has teached him to do this errand and fleece the motorists.
I told him that I am a advocate and I am going to send legal notice to him and his senior inspector for stopping me for offence which cannot be proved.
He was speechless he called out his fellow constable both said sorry to me and to be spared.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 10:33   #143
Senior - BHPian

Like "we are all above the law" right?

Now, please don't turn the gun on me, as I am not the law or the law-maker or a spoil-sport. Even I play music on the roads. My intention is to provide food for thought for myself and others on this thread. If more people could think before they acted, wouldn't ours be a better world?

Isn't the most important organ while driving, our brain, is getting distracted to whatever is playing on the radio? Will we be hearing the siren of the ambulance behind us if the music is loud? (or is it like, which ambulance is going to overtake me when I am fastest on the road?)

Going by the general reaction on this thread, I doubt if we anyone will read through "Listening to loud music while driving can seriously hamper reaction times and cause accidents, new research suggests."
BBC NEWS | UK | Drivers warned against loud music
Old 16th December 2011, 11:48   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Like "we are all above the law" right?

Now, please don't turn the gun on me, as I am not the law or the law-maker or a spoil-sport. Even I play music on the roads. My intention is to provide food for thought for myself and others on this thread. If more people could think before they acted, wouldn't ours be a better world?

Isn't the most important organ while driving, our brain, is getting distracted to whatever is playing on the radio? Will we be hearing the siren of the ambulance behind us if the music is loud? (or is it like, which ambulance is going to overtake me when I am fastest on the road?)

Going by the general reaction on this thread, I doubt if we anyone will read through "Listening to loud music while driving can seriously hamper reaction times and cause accidents, new research suggests."
BBC NEWS | UK | Drivers warned against loud music
Ambulances have a blue+red beacon mounted on top of them which light up. These blue+red lights are extremely eye catching and are easy to spot in the *MIRRORS* if you are paying attention while driving. This, again, has nothing to do with music. If you are concentrating on the road hard enough, your brain has enough power to easily block out any and all music as long as it isn't irritating to you as the driver.

As a driver who needs to drive 2 hours through a 100 traffic signals and bumper to bumper traffic, instead of distracting, music helps the mind relax at moments when concentration is not required eg. when waiting for the lights. Thats the reason I stopped listening to Radio altogether (since too many commercials irritate me) and switched exclusively to MP3.

@Thoma You are giving us food for thought for an absurd rule. I Bet you cannot tell me 1 hypothetical scenario where careful defensive driving, observing traffic rules and *seeing* with 'ears closed' is not enough for absolutely safe driving. I must clarify that here, I am not talking about pedestrians, cyclists and Moron-motorcyclists-who-have-their-mirrors-removed.

This rule clearly suggests that Deaf and Dumb people cannot be given driving licenses, when actually they are. It is the Blind people who never get a Driving license because they cannot *see* and hence drive.

P.S.: By 'You' above, I mean the reader, not the person I replied to.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 12:20   #145
BHPian

Strange if palying of music in automobiles is banned, how do these vehicles get ARAI and CMVR certification.

Referring back to the Thar Thread, where in Mr. Dhabhar was clearly explaining, the strange number plates and mud flaps to be mandatory for certifications.

How are the authorities certifying vehicles with Music players..?!!, b'cos as per cops they are not safe in moving cars. IMHO some gotcha here.
Old 16th December 2011, 13:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

I feel my word are falling on deaf ears

For the sake of continuing the debate, I will ask whether one can drive looking at the rear view mirror most of the time. One need to look into the rear view mirrors only when he is anticipating a braking or a lane change. All the other times, he is supposed to look ahead. How do one see the extremely eye-catching blue + red light, if the ambulance is stuck behind another vehicle behind him, where as he him-selves might be going at his own sweet pace enjoying the ICE? In fact, in all my personal experience, it was the siren of the ambulance that made me look into the rear view mirror, to spot an ambulance and slow down to give way, not the light of the ambulance.
Old 16th December 2011, 13:58   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
How does a 'Noisy AC blower' hamper your ability to look outside the car? If you cannot spot a car in your peripheral vision, you might as well stop driving and start taking public transport. There is no way your ears will help you in driving safer than your eyes can unless you happen to be blind in which case you *CANNOT* drive.
'
Without getting personal (and thats why I removed the name in the quotes above), I would say no matter how experienced, how wise, how clever (and how...what not) one is, never get complacent. Inability to listen definitely hampers your safety, and especially in an emergency situation which demands very quick responses.
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 14:45   #148
BHPian

Quote:

For the sake of continuing the debate, I will ask whether one can drive looking at the rear view mirror most of the time. One need to look into the rear view mirrors only when he is anticipating a braking or a lane change. All the other times, he is supposed to look ahead. How do one see the extremely eye-catching blue + red light, if the ambulance is stuck behind another vehicle behind him, where as he him-selves might be going at his own sweet pace enjoying the ICE? In fact, in all my personal experience, it was the siren of the ambulance that made me look into the rear view mirror, to spot an ambulance and slow down to give way, not the light of the ambulance.
Of course you do not keep looking into the RVM all the time. That is what Peripheral Vision is for. It is not hard to spot blinking lights in the mirror if you have a habit of using peripheral vision to your advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Without getting personal (and thats why I removed the name in the quotes above), I would say no matter how experienced, how wise, how clever (and how...what not) one is, never get complacent. Inability to listen definitely hampers your safety, and especially in an emergency situation which demands very quick responses.
Thats the reason I love this forum. You can continue with a debate without fear that the person being reasoned with will suddenly turn aggressive.

Also, it is a fact that deaf people do drive.

if I may quote the following link:

How do Deaf people drive? - AllDeaf.com

Being deaf and driving... - AllDeaf.com

These are opinions of people who are Deaf. As we can see, they only have problems if there is an emergency vehicle eg. an ambulance/ a cop around (only during the day) as Thoma posted. But there are still ways to get around that problem.

So, if deaf people can drive so reasonably well that some insurance companies consider them 'safer than hearing people', why again do we need to hear whats outside to be able to drive?
Old 16th December 2011, 14:55   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am sure you have heard of a term called peripherial vision? Also a term called scan? If you perform a regular scan of the road ahead, the road behind, your left and right sides and on to your speedometer, there is no way you would require to 'Hear' to drive. If you are 'hearing' and driving then please re look at your driving habits, It is an extremely dangerous thing to do.

How do you drive in pouring rains with rains drumming on your car roof? How do you drive in crowed congested areas?

I agree if you say role playing a DJ in a night club while driving is dangerous, otherwise playing at sensible volumes is a de stresser
Old 16th December 2011, 15:11   #150
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Do I Play Loud Music in my car? - Yes occasionally.

Is it safe to do so? - Yes and No - Depends on the circumstances but sometimes one needs a high to get away from the various distractions and stress in life. Try listening to AC/DC, Hard Rock or Guns & Roses at a low volume.

Should it be fined? - Yes - But not bribed. The latest notification for mumbai states that constables and sr. constables cannot take our license or even fine us or hide behind tree to catch us. (Only higher ranking cops are premitted this.) So yes if caught I would immediately pay what ever be the fine but not give away my license or a bride.

Is music at loud volume a distaction to Horn? - Yes & No. Yes one cannot hear a horn above loud music and one normally does not keep the AC at a similarly loud speed level. And yes one must use the differ rather than the horn. But in emergencies one does need to use the horn - lets say ones car is sliding backwards at a signal while in neutral - the others around try to warn us by honking but we can't hear due to loud volume. So yes being able to hear the horn does remain critical. A deaf person can't listen all the time but that is the reason it is safer to be able to listen. I get quite irritated with people crossing the road either taking on the phone or listening to their walkman and not being able to hear even the horn. We can guess the reverse too also be true.

Let us not fool ourselves we are all in favour of safe driving and we all do know that hearing music loudly is a distraction (more or less depending upon the person / circumstances) and yet in the practical world we would still listen to music at high volume atleast some of the time (else the car companies too can be resticted on the max volume that the player inside the car will play) (just as there is a limit on the Lux levels of the head lights and the sound of the horn).

The thing is about us all being reasonable with the volume level and what we all are also against is a fine created just to result in a convenient bribe. The rule is fine but it is all about a neutral implementation.

Last edited by ACM : 16th December 2011 at 15:13.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed