Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 17:27   #1
Team-BHP Support

Jeep re-registration woes: road tax Rs.15.8K

This came out of the blue for me. Now that I am trying to register the Jeep in Udupi, I am told that original invoice of the Jeep is required. This is apparently a new rule Mangalore and Udupi RTO.

My Jeep was originally bought in 1994 in Kerala. Later it was transferred to Tamilnadu in 1995. Now I am trying to transfer it to Karnataka in 2008.

If I am able to produce the invoice from 1994 from Kerala, they will depreciate the amount based on that rate for calculating tax.

If I can't produce the original invoice, they will charge life-time tax based on the price of a new Jeep. Since this Jeep hasn't been made in 10 years, I am not sure what price they will use.

Now I have no idea what to do!

Last edited by Samurai : 27th August 2008 at 17:28.
Old 27th August 2008, 17:37   #2
BHPian

Samurai,
I faced the same issue for my Fiat Petra in Tamilnadu.
RTO guys asked for the original invoice.Mine was a used car as well.I couldnt find the original invoice.
Finally I gave them the invoice that I got from AutomartIndia.They accepted that.But calculated the tax rates based on the invoice amount mentioned by Automart.Though I purchased the car in 2006,they didnt calculate any depreciation.
You too can try the same.
-Jey
Old 27th August 2008, 17:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Any possibility of a Bangalore registration ?

But - Thanks. A good reminder for those buying a used vehicle, to ask for the invoices.
Old 27th August 2008, 17:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If I can't produce the original invoice, they will charge life-time tax based on the price of a new Jeep. Since this Jeep hasn't been made in 10 years, I am not sure what price they will use.

Now I have no idea what to do!
My friend had the same problem when he bought a vtec from here & regd it in mercara. But the sale receipt from the previous owner was sufficient in the end.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Can you trace the jeep back to the original dealer using the chassis number? If it was sold in Kerala, I'm sure Mansidea and his band of Merry Mahindrans can help you with the dealers, probably to get a duplicate invoice? Its a long shot, but may be worth it.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:36   #6
BHPian

Samurai, sent you a PM with my friend's contact details. Hopefully he should be able to assist with this issue. Just give it a try!
Old 27th August 2008, 19:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thanks adi99, I spoke to your friend. He says I need to get a statement specifying the invoice value of a 1994 CJ340 Jeep. I guess I need to get it from a Mahindra dealer.
Old 27th August 2008, 20:20   #8
BHPian

^ I Faced the exact situation you are facing now and i was suggested the same solution and it worked it in the end for registering a MH vehicle in KA..
Old 28th August 2008, 11:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Oh, its a news to me. Good that you highlighted it here Samurai. One more to be added to the checklist on purchase of used vehicles.
Old 28th August 2008, 11:11   #10
BHPian

if by any chance the vehicle was purchased using a car loan, then there is every chance that the bank might be having the original invoice.I too had the same issue and since my car was financed from SBI, went to them and they gave me the original invoice without any questions asked.
Old 31st August 2008, 13:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This came out of the blue for me. Now that I am trying to register the Jeep in Udupi, I am told that original invoice of the Jeep is required. This is apparently a new rule Mangalore and Udupi RTO.
Samurai San, is this a new rule only in Mangalore and Udupi RTO or does it hold good for all the Karnataka RTO's as i too might face the same problem . Am yet to collect my jeep papers from Anand and get it registered in Bangalore.

Regards,
Karthik.
Old 31st August 2008, 14:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

dear samurai,

i know many people would be against this, but am sure any rto would have its set of brokers lurking outside, who can get any sort of work done for a price, how about keeping this as the last option?
Old 31st August 2008, 17:29   #13
BANNED

Samurai-san, google throws up this gyaan:-

New Page 1

The foot notes say that for vehicles registered outside Karnataka prior to 2003 have to pay tax as per the rate prevalent in Karnataka prior to 2003. What is the need to pay life time tax? I think you should be paying annual tax.

Also, life time tax is not for your or car's life time. It is usually for the first "life" of the car - for 12 or 16 years (I do not remember which). After that, you have to pay annual tax - at least that is what I understand the situation is, in Kerala.

Edit :- this is a faq on their site.
See http://rto.kar.nic.in/faq1.htm

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 31st August 2008 at 17:33.
Old 31st August 2008, 18:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Considering the Jeep is 14 years old, the annual tax won't be different than LTT.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

Oh man, this is getting trickier. I spoke to the owner of Karnataka Agencies (Mangalore) and he graciously agreed to give the price certificate. But when I spoke to his account manager, he told that they don't have records prior to 1996 since they are discarded.

After a call to local driving school guy, I was told even later model price is acceptable. But there is a new twist. The CJ340 was renamed as CL340 from 1995 onwards. Therefore the account manager will give the certificate only as CL340. He said he can't even mention that it was previously known as CJ340 since he doesn't have records to back that claim. So he will give a certificate showing the price of 1996 CL340 Jeep. Anyway, I asked him to go ahead and give it.

The RC book clearly says CJ340 DP, there is a very good chance RTO will not accept the certificate that says CL340, and rightly so. How do I get documentary proof that CL340 used to be CJ340 before 1995?

Does anyone have an invoice of 1994 CJ340 DP, I would really appreciate a copy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks