Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 10:07   #121
Team-BHP Support

Unless Tata have hijacked the factories for alternate nano production!
Old 10th September 2008, 10:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Fiat is not postponing the launch of Linea and plans for the car are moving as per the schedule, said a statement from the company in response to a report titled “Fiat may delay launch of Linea, Grande Punto” published in these columns on August 30.
Forget everything else. Fiat responded to an article of August 30 on September 9!
Old 10th September 2008, 10:27   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Forget everything else. Fiat responded to an article of August 30 on September 9!
And I guess, the response or clarification will do more damage than earlier news. At least people were expecting it in October after the earlier news. Now, people will keep it guessing till December
Old 10th September 2008, 12:18   #124
BHPian

Fiat = Lethargy

I just second this,.. they take 12 days to respond to an article that simply shatters people's confidence... and are yet to comment on the actual launch date. If the launch itself is so shrouded in mystery / confusion, wonder how the service will be.

Fiat is simply too lethargic to trust. Though they make awesome cars.. I am a die-hard fiat fan, I have owned a palio for nearly 5 years now, having done over 125000 kms - still running like new - the service aspect of fiat and their commitment scares the living daylights out of me.

I just read in some other forum, that someone in bangalore had to wait for a month to get some spares for the newly launched Palio MJD. Given this scenario, though I am waiting to see the linea before I make my decision, I guess I will not be going the linea way after all.

I been thinking a lot abt this... Maybe the optra magnum now with the climate control, or who knows even the scorpio or even the safari (again the service nightmares with Safari that I have read tends to put me off the safari as well... but I am trying to get in touch with someone in TM who will pay xtra attention as the car is being manufactured) may well be my next ride instead of the Linea.......
Old 10th September 2008, 16:17   #125
BHPian

Lost faith in Fiat and my wait for linea is over.. Now decided to go for the Altis.
Old 10th September 2008, 22:15   #126
BHPian

Today's Business Line reports that Fiat had confirmed that there will be no delays in the launch and things will go on as planned and it will be between Sept and Dec 08, the article clears contradicts the previous on that had been published on 30th Aug 08. However they are made it clear that Grande Punto is not due for December but early next year.
and just now reading the link from the previous post,
the thing is,
as they are claiming saying that there will be no postponement in the launch! I have no arguments with this. But why such a long wait ?? I believe Grande Punto should have been launched in between Swift diesel and Skoda Fabia, it could have possibly affected though not the direct contenders.

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 10th September 2008 at 22:19.
Old 10th September 2008, 23:37   #127
Team-BHP Support

Stop looking for logic guys, just accept the situation as it is and cross your fingers that the December guideline is met. This is how Fiat functions. Good cars, bad strategies.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:34   #128
BHPian

trust me guys the wait for these beauties if definitely worth it . I had been to concorde the day when all those vip's from Italy were due to visit , saw the entire facility getting cleaned and what not ,i was there only for a short while .I came back again the next day saw all the four cars parked inside the facility i am saying the wait is well worth . If the pricing is right then these cars will be a hit.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:51   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
If the pricing is right then these cars will be a hit.
I want to know what the prices are? The linea cost as reported by the CEO of Fiat, was supposed to be in the range of 7~8 lacs. Now I hear that it will be in the corolla range. Also local content in the linea should have been >70% to keep costs down, but reports now indicate that the import content will be high.
Also FIAT have the habit of postponing models. I remember seeing Grande Punto at the Auto expo in 2006 (along with Indigo XL), Indigo XL was launched shortly, but the launch of GP remained on paper.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:54   #130
Team-BHP Support

The cars have never been the point of discontent. Its FIATs attitude that is the problem.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:07   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cars have never been the point of discontent. Its FIATs attitude that is the problem.

There is no doubt that the cars are worth waiting for and if the cars are really good and Fiat backs them up with excellent service then they will sell even if the launch is delayed.

Maybe the launch is postponed because Fiat's new look showrooms are not ready and Fiat wants to roll out the cars in their new swank look showrooms. Nothing wrong with that. Whatever, the reason, Fiat should come out and say it honestly. They say the launch is on track and that they have always said that the Linea will be out between September and December. This kind of time frame works when you are at least 6 months to a year away from launch. Today, Fiat should at least give the month of launch if not the date. When they say the launch will be between Sept to December, it means it can happen tomorrow also!
Old 11th September 2008, 12:26   #132
Senior - BHPian

I am still wondering what is the technical meaning of the word "Launch" here. Fiat had these grand plans of soft launch with VIPs and Samsonites in some Delhi Embassy or so.

When can the car really be expected to be in the showrooms for TDs. Also this immense delay should direct towards lower waiting periods for people who book their cars ?
Old 11th September 2008, 14:27   #133
Senior - BHPian

Fiat India management should launch themselves into the nearest river first !! Who ever has heard of a company making the same mistake thrice !!

Frankly, they are better off making engines and supplying it to other manufacturers. Or at the very least, they are better off if they hand over the designs/dies to Tatas and let them manufacture, sell and service Fiat cars in India.
Old 11th September 2008, 14:50   #134
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
trust me guys the wait for these beauties if definitely worth it . I had been to concorde the day when all those vip's from Italy were due to visit , saw the entire facility getting cleaned and what not ,i was there only for a short while .I came back again the next day saw all the four cars parked inside the facility i am saying the wait is well worth . If the pricing is right then these cars will be a hit.
Hi Chetan

What four cars did you see and where? I see from your avatar info that you're from Bangalore.

Can you please confirm? thanks.
Old 11th September 2008, 15:07   #135
BHPian

Well I would blame Tata's for delaying the launch of Linea and Punto. I am sure they have some hidden agenda here. Fiat is just manufacturing cars and sales,service and promotion is with Tata's.

Looking at the state of affairs, I wouldn't dare wait for the Linea. If this is the case before the launch wonder what would be the case post launch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed