Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which foot for braking?
Left 5 2.56%
Right 190 97.44%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 17:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Braking - Left or Right Foot?

The logic is that only one foot should be used for operating both brakes and accelerator. That is because if you want to push brakes isnt it logical that the foot should be off the accelerator.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 17:39   #47
BHPian

Right is Right and Left is Wrong!!! and dont even try it with left foot cos if you're a M/T transmission driver, you will end up using the same pressure you use to apply the clutch which could end up in a very bad vigorous braking and the car/bike behind slamming at your back!
aa_asif is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 09:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

I always use the right foot for braking. Standard. That is the way I have been doing it. I guess using the other foot might ending being dangerous for me as well as those around me.

Last edited by TrackDay : 14th March 2021 at 09:15.
Old 14th March 2021, 11:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

I'm used to manual cars most of the time so far, so its quite natural for me to only use the right foot for both brake and accelerator.
Also the best practice as well would be to always take the foot off the accelerator, while applying the brake.
But i think once a person is used to the automatics for a while, its just a matter of time when the both feet will work i tandem without damaging the car.
Old 14th March 2021, 12:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
But i think once a person is used to the automatics for a while, its just a matter of time when the both feet will work i tandem without damaging the car.
I do not think, that is a good argument. Brake and accelerator pedals are to be pressed only with the right foot, regardless of the car having manual or automatic transmission. The best reason, I think, is already discussed and quoted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
The logic is that only one foot should be used for operating both brakes and accelerator. That is because if you want to push brakes isnt it logical that the foot should be off the accelerator.
Automatic transmission became popular first in the US in the 1980s. In the 1990s it became the norm there. Even I who never owned automatic cars before bought a Nissan Sentra GXE with automatic transmission in 1992. But kids growing up in the US and first learning to drive only automatics there were never taught to use their left foot for applying brakes. And the reason, I think, is given in the above quote, namely, that one is never supposed to apply brakes and accelerate at the same time, so one should use only one foot, the right foot, for the purpose, because the the rightmost pedal is always the accelerator.

For people like me who currently own an automatic and a manual transmission car at the same time or are used to driving both, it is also never a good idea to use one's left foot for braking. The left foot for manual transmission cars is used for the clutch, quite naturally since the clutch is the leftmost pedal. Now pressing the clutch all the way down (of course only while shifting) is a good driving practice for good health of the clutch rather than pressing it softly half way through. Pressing the brake pedal with one's left foot habitually would be a very hard press and as a result accidents can take place. In the initial few days of me driving both cars and switching to the automatic from the manual, I have once or twice done this mistake of hard pressing the brakes with my left foot, and each time was very fortunate to avoid a serious mishap. Now, I have got used to this switching.

In short, my view is that for both kind of people, people driving only automatic cars, or people used to driving both kinds, the practice should be to use one's right foot and right foot only for the accelerator and the brake, and use one's left foot only for the clutch (for manual transmission of course).
Old 14th March 2021, 14:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree and I too recommend and follow only right foot braking personally and never ever used left foot for braking.
As i too mentioned and strongly believe the best practice is that we lift the leg off throttle pedal completely before braking to avoid any damage to the car. I only intended that comment for such people who still want to use both legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
I do not think, that is a good argument. Brake and accelerator pedals are to be pressed only with the right foot, regardless of the car having manual or automatic transmission. The best reason, I think, is already discussed and quoted below.
Old 14th March 2021, 21:22   #52
BHPian

Have been driving an automatic transmission for the last 12 years and have always used the right foot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks