Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which foot for braking?
Left 5 2.56%
Right 190 97.44%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 13:45   #16
BHPian

Right Foot

I prefer braking with right foot both on manual and automatic cars.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:48   #17
BHPian

It all comes down to your reflex action. Since most of the people are right handed they have kept the brakes for the right foot.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:52   #18
BHPian

Its right

Technically and practically right foot should be used.
Why - you take off your foot from accelerator and place it over brakes and apply.

Why would you need to press accelerator and brakes at the same time and stress the system.

Why auto should be different?

Last edited by Firebird : 1st September 2008 at 13:56. Reason: more info
Old 1st September 2008, 13:54   #19
BHPian

AT or MT. Always use right...
Old 1st September 2008, 13:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have never heard or seen anyone use their left foot for braking, regardless of it being an automatic or manual !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ver-genes.html
Old 1st September 2008, 13:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

In normal driving, one will use right foot to apply brakes as right foot would be free & away from accelerator. One would either speed up (Use Accelerator) or slow down (Apply brake) & not use both pedals at same time. Hence right foot needs to used for either brake or accelerator & left foot for clutch whenever required.
Old 1st September 2008, 14:24   #22
BHPian

Is this really a question? I have never ever applied brakes with my left foot MT or AT. The very first time I got to drive an AT, my boss's Cielo, he told me with a smile " There is no clutch pedal. There are only two pedals, brake and gas. And just because you have 2 feet, you are not expected to press both pedals."

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 1st September 2008, 14:24   #23
BHPian

Whether it is an AT or MT, right foot should be used for breaking.
Old 1st September 2008, 14:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Right leg. As left leg may not have the required strength in case of any eventuality. Whenever there is any eventuality of sudden braking, atleast my right legs pumps for brakes first than the left leg which is mainly used for clutch. The situation may change if the person is left handed or it is LHD. However, this is entirely my opinion.
Old 1st September 2008, 14:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

After how many years of driving did this question arise ?

Mods, can you please add the following options to the vote:

- Both
- Any
- None, I rely on the car in front.

Old 1st September 2008, 15:18   #26
BHPian

This is quite silly, you always use the right foot for braking and acc, and the left one for the clutch, even in a manual and even if it is LHD, or even if you are left-handed. Unless you have been driving automatics right from the begninng, or go karts.
Old 1st September 2008, 17:10   #27
BHPian

I have driven an AT for 4+ yrs in US. Initially when i learnt driving my instructor used to tell me not to use both feet. He insisted that i should use just the right foot for both Acceleration and braking.

It took me 2 years to get out of this habit. It used to work for me in synchronous mode. Never ever had i pressed both the A and B at the same time with both feet. I however did get out of the habit eventually, after a very close friend of mine refused to sit in the car once she saw me driving with both feet. I left the habit and eventually got used to only the left foot for driving an AT.

Now I am back in india for the last 2 yrs and have been driving for 18 months now. I have got used to left foot for A and B and using the left foot for only C
Old 1st September 2008, 17:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

What happens is out left foot adjusts itself to use the clutch which is fully press it.
While the right foot is used for accelerator and brakes, (MOSTLY) partially pressed

So when you brake with the left foot, until you have full control of the left foot, it will automatically go to pull press mode.
Old 1st September 2008, 17:21   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys : Just a note of CAUTION : Please do NOT try left foot braking on public roads. I guess some posts have sent out the wrong impression. Left foot braking, in a manual transmission car, is to be practiced ONLY when on the race track, in professional rallies or when driving in controlled circumstances.

Left foot braking obviously has its advantages since you can brake / accelerate at the same time (time advantage around particular corners, stop the engine from bogging down, maintain a particular rpm level, keep the turbo on full boost, ). Plus, the time spent in alternating between the accelerator / brake pedals is saved, however marginal. But it is not necessary for all racers to follow left foot braking (though most F1 drivers do). For e.g. Rubens Barrichello & Alesi were famous for using right foot braking only. Racers generally hone their left-foot-braking skills from the gokarting days.

I gotta admit : my left foot braking skills aren't particularly strong. Just when I was getting the hang of it on tracks in the States, it was time to fly back.
Old 1st September 2008, 17:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
I have got used to left foot for A and B and using the left foot for only C
Is that typo since your mind was occupied by left

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks