Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 22:14   #46
BHPian

It would most probably get a new 1.6 litre diesel engine that hyundai has launched recently.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:12   #47
BHPian

I doubt if Hyundai will launch i20 in first Q of 09, Indeed as someone pointed out getz is EOL( end of line) product and we can expect i20 to position in 6 to 7L range as top end i10 with CRDI engine is sure to touch 5.5L+ range
Old 14th October 2008, 16:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey, we are having another thread similar to this??! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...na-too-12.html
Old 14th October 2008, 17:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
I doubt if Hyundai will launch i20 in first Q of 09, Indeed as someone pointed out getz is EOL( end of line) product and we can expect i20 to position in 6 to 7L range as top end i10 with CRDI engine is sure to touch 5.5L+ range
What are you saying? The top end i10 petrol itself is more than 6.3L on road Bangalore. Top end i10 with CRDI engine will be surely more than 7L on road Bangalore. So, I expect the i20 to touch 9.5L easily.
Old 14th October 2008, 18:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
So, I expect the i20 to touch 9.5L easily.
At 9.5L the (Diesel) i20 would be more in the range of the Verna, Fiesta etc and just around 1 to 1½ lacs cheaper than the Optra Magnum. Now that just does not compute...
Old 14th October 2008, 18:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
At 9.5L the (Diesel) i20 would be more in the range of the Verna, Fiesta etc and just around 1 to 1½ lacs cheaper than the Optra Magnum. Now that just does not compute...
Also reason why the top end version of i20 with AT & SR won't sell at all. Or even 1/10th of the other models. Btw, how many i10s are being sold with Sun Roof? Honestly, I've hardly seen any.

i20 above 9 lakhs will meet the same fate as Getz [in sales]. I doubt Hyundai would be silly to repeat their mistake..

Last edited by k_ajay : 14th October 2008 at 18:48. Reason: Correction of Grammatical error
Old 15th October 2008, 09:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
i20 above 9 lakhs will meet the same fate as Getz [in sales]. I doubt Hyundai would be silly to repeat their mistake..
I agree, it may not sell. But if a fully loaded i20, 1.6L CRDi manual shift costs 8.5, it might get some buyers who think like me. For me, a power packed well built diesel car of the size of Getz, Grande Punto, Fabia, i20, i30 are more attractive to me than a long sedan. But the manufacturers don't consider for minorities like me :( When they do launch a super hatch, they strip off all the features and at the same time cost a bomb. Getz CRDi has had some takers in spite of not having anything at all.

Take it this way, i20 will have cabin space comparable to most C segment sedans, wheel base longer than most C segment sedan, a CRDi engine more powerful than most C segment sedan, with features of a higher segment cars, except for a smaller boot, i.e. about 300 liters, which isn't too small either. Why wouldn't one consider it instead of lugging a longer, less functional car?

Last edited by opendro : 15th October 2008 at 09:52.
Old 15th October 2008, 09:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, it may not sell. But if a fully loaded i20, 1.6L CRDi manual shift costs 8.5, it might get some buyers who think like me. For me, a power packed well built diesel car of the size of Getz, Grande Punto, Fabia, i20, i30 are more attractive to me than a long sedan. But the manufacturers don't consider for minorities like me :( When they do launch a super hatch, they strip off all the features and at the same time cost a bomb. Getz CRDi has had some takers in spite of not having anything at all.

Take it this way, i20 will have cabin space of comparable to most C segment sedans, wheel base longer than most C segment sedan, a CRDi engine more powerful than most C segment sedan with features of a higher segment cars, except for a smaller boot, i.e. about 300 liters, which isn't too small either. Why wouldn't one consider it instead of lugging a longer, less functional car?
You are thinking exactly like me. Just because a car is a hatch type design, does not take away the good features of the car. I am eagerly waiting for the i20 to be launched in the 1.6 crdi version with all possible goodies.

Also a hatch type design means a good car to ICE .
Old 15th October 2008, 10:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Take it this way, i20 will have cabin space comparable to most C segment sedans
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the dimensions - Length 3940 mm, Width 1710 mm, wheelbase 2525mm. This should be one spacious car!

The only thing that worries me is that Hyundai will most likely over-price it. The reason being when the i10 was launched, it fell in a segment which was well defined. The i20 falls in a segment that is yet to reach a maturity stage. So 'high' pricing of their lower models and overpricing of their high-end models will follow suit - just like any other Hyundai car in its segment. Example - i10 Era/Magna sell a lot. But the Asta/Asta sunroof hardly has any takers due to its close-to-swift pricing. (and generally too: 5-6 lacs for an i10 seems too much!)

For a person who's going in for an i20, Hyundai knows that the customer is also evaluating the Fabia. So expect just-below-Fabia but not very value-for-money pricing.
Old 15th October 2008, 13:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

i20 Update

Opendro,

I agree too and it's far sensible to get a fully loaded hatch rather than a sedan, unless a dedicated boot is required for one.. Makes a lot of sense to get a hatch for Indian roads [space constraints].
-------------------------------------------------

Update: I have had a test drive of Getz and i10 from Advaith Hyundai here in B'lore, and had told my sales contact that I will wait until the end of the month to take a decision on the Getz. [Also had Getz TD with Trident, and undecided who I'll purchase from]

The sales fellow called me today just an hour ago and asked me of my buying decision. I told him I haven't decided yet on the purchase of Getz, to which he said, "Ok, i20 sir?, which is when my listening peaked..

He said it will be launching next month, after Diwali with a 1.3ltr and 1.4ltr engines and both 'petrol and diesel' are launching.

Here's the problem: He does not have complete concrete info with regards to engine specifications, variants or on-road price, but has promised to call me back as soon as he gets it. I asked him if any model might launch with an on-road price of 6 lakhs and he said 'yes' to it.

But, I'd wait till a little before Diwali to get more concrete information.. He wasn't too sure of engine specs or pricing. But, it's coming in November.

Old 15th October 2008, 13:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
The i20 falls in a segment that is yet to reach a maturity stage. So 'high' pricing of their lower models and overpricing of their high-end models will follow suit - just like any other Hyundai car in its segment.
So expect just-below-Fabia but not very value-for-money pricing.
I agree this is a segment yet to mature, but the market is closer to accepting this as a separate segment than before. And in cities this is more for practical reasons rather than not being able to afford a sedan.

I'm sure Hyundai learnt from Skoda's experience. Skoda had to price their car very high because they ended up importing even the tyres. I don't think Hyundai or even Honda will do something similar. Even if Honda overprices the Jazz, I'm sure it will be more VFM than a Fabia.
Old 16th October 2008, 03:53   #57
BHPian

More Information on Hyundai i20:
Hyundai i20 Specifications Review Launch Previews India Europe : Launch Cars

And the old site is been updated. The design is good enough and professional. Wonder if it is a hyundai site or a personal site?
Hyundai i20 - Review Specification Technology Price Launch India Diesel Petrol
Old 16th October 2008, 08:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
And the old site is been updated. The design is good enough and professional. Wonder if it is a hyundai site or a personal site?
Hyundai i20 - Review Specification Technology Price Launch India Diesel Petrol
Theres this disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

Disclaimer: We are not associated, affiliated, or connected with Hyundai India or Hyundai Global by any means.

=> Itz a personal site.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:29   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Theres this disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

Disclaimer: We are not associated, affiliated, or connected with Hyundai India or Hyundai Global by any means.

=> Itz a personal site.
aah! great. these guys really made a good looking site.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:38   #60
BHPian

The site popped up with a Fiesta Advert in the Columns!. Classic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks