Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 21:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
It's gonna have a 1.4 and a 1.6 l engine and the pricing is surely going to be above 7.5 lacs.
Something like 7.5 lacs is very unlikely. It may be 30-40 k over Getz, just the way they have priced i10. They would be vey much aware of what happend to Fusion.
Old 19th December 2008, 08:12   #77
BHPian

i20 launch by end-December

i20 launch by end-December- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

18 Dec 2008, 2359 hrs IST, Sumit Chaturvedi, ET Bureau

NEW DELHI: Despite a dull market, Hyundai Motors India is planning to launch its five-door hatchback i20 by the year-end. The car had made its debut at the Paris Motor Show 2008 in October and will be priced in the Rs 5-5.5-lakh range.

Hyundai i20 will take on Suzuki Swift Zxi and Skoda Fabia, priced at Rs 5.08 lakh and Rs 5.24 lakh, respectively. It will sport a 1.4-litre petrol Kappa engine and will be manufactured at Hyundai’s Chennai plant.

In fact, Hyundai had started exporting i20 to Europe in November 2008. While this model will replace Getz in Europe over the medium term, the company is non-committal about its phase out schedule for India.

“A lot will depend on the market conditions. In another five years, a number of our models may or may not be phased out,” said Hyundai Motor India senior V-P Arvind Saxena. He also clarified that the company had no plans to launch a diesel variant of i20 as of now.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 19th December 2008 at 08:14.
Old 19th December 2008, 10:26   #78
BHPian

So Hyundai's gunning for the Car of the Year 2009 award, just like they did with the i10 for 2008 - no wonder they're launching it before year-end so that they qualify for the award - and the competition (for the award) has already launched or delayed their launches so Hyundai knows now exactly who the contenders are. Expect a huge "car of the year" marketing campaign all over again (just like i10) if they win!

Smart marketing there, Mr. Saxena!

Of course, all my assumptions are based on dec 29th being a definite launch date, but I'm willing to believe this because of Elito's post in another thread regarding launch of the car by this month end!
Old 19th December 2008, 10:29   #79
BHPian

Ok. No diesel variant as of now. I am again left with only Linea. Good that I was not keeping high hopes on this.
Old 19th December 2008, 10:43   #80
BHPian

I have another issue. Hyundai always end up goofing up with the pricing & another concern is the features they cut from the diesel variants(cost cutting). for example Getz diesel variant does not come with

Rear Wiper & Washer
Rear Defogger
Driver Seat Armrest

Why? people who drive diesel cars dont need these features?

or they think that Indians are fools.

By the way Hyundai Accent (Verna in India) is the cheapest car in America.
Old 19th December 2008, 11:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

I would definitely have upgraded from my petrol Getz to the CRDI Getz, except that they didn't offer ABS or airbags. I mean they offered ABS on the anaemic little 80-odd bhp petrol Getz that had no torque, but not on a 100+ bhp torquey motor like the Verna's? That's just pure idiocy. At least make it an option! Also the interiors in my petrol Getz are waaaay classier than the hideous interior of the diesel model. They even managed to dumb-down the dashboard. All these reasons combined put me off. Though that engine is a beauty for a little city hatch!
Old 19th December 2008, 12:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
i20 launch by end-December- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

18 Dec 2008, 2359 hrs IST, Sumit Chaturvedi, ET Bureau

NEW DELHI: Despite a dull market, Hyundai Motors India is planning to launch its five-door hatchback i20 by the year-end. The car had made its debut at the Paris Motor Show 2008 in October and will be priced in the Rs 5-5.5-lakh range.

Hyundai i20 will take on Suzuki Swift Zxi and Skoda Fabia, priced at Rs 5.08 lakh and Rs 5.24 lakh, respectively. It will sport a 1.4-litre petrol Kappa engine and will be manufactured at Hyundai’s Chennai plant.

In fact, Hyundai had started exporting i20 to Europe in November 2008. While this model will replace Getz in Europe over the medium term, the company is non-committal about its phase out schedule for India.

“A lot will depend on the market conditions. In another five years, a number of our models may or may not be phased out,” said Hyundai Motor India senior V-P Arvind Saxena. He also clarified that the company had no plans to launch a diesel variant of i20 as of now.
But why they have a i30 picture in the article?
Old 19th December 2008, 15:17   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
the money extra i paid was for ABS, AIRBAGS, SUNROOF, AUTOMATIC. i feel the first 2 are very important now in a car and i dont care what any sales person says that do u drive on highways and jazz like that. safety is safety no matter what the issues are. 7 more days to go for my ride to roll in wooooot
Well there are a couple of features (automatic and sunroof) here that, going by Indian market, will not be part of the initial launch. These two would probably be worth a lakh in themselves. So top end i10 minus automatic and sunroof would cost about 5 lakhs.

I would be inclined to believe that a top end i20 w/o these features can def be priced around 6.5 lakhs. And the basic one (with PS, Front power windows etc) can come in at 5.5 L.
Old 19th December 2008, 18:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Amazingly no Diesel option. I fail to understand Hyundai strategy!

Also 10 days left in dec end and still no confirm launch date. Baffling.

Last edited by harry10 : 19th December 2008 at 18:05.
Old 19th December 2008, 18:51   #85
BHPian

IMHO - the petrol version could start from 5.5 - 6.5 L, going by the same logic it will be interesting to see how they price the diesel version IF they plan to launch it simultaneously. It could tread on SX4, ANHC territory which will cannot be too good. However going by Hundai's track record, Getz, i10, I very much doubt that will be the case.
Old 19th December 2008, 18:55   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
there are chances that the I20 will be launched in jan. This lmonth hyundai motor India is manufacturing 1000 domestic cars. The export model is going good on an avg of 9000 cars for the past tw months.

It's gonna have a 1.4 and a 1.6 l engine and the pricing is surely going to be above 7.5 lacs.

An inside news. There are 22000 i10's lying inside the hyundai factory yard itself, all domestic models. So expect huge discounts and offers in the next month as all are going to become a previous year model.
Aditya:

Are you sure the i20 would have the 1.6L engine in India ? That would make it a real hot hatch. Also, it doesn't make sense since the Verna is also available here with a 1.6L engine. Pricing would be too high as well.

I've been reading that the 1.2L Kappa (present i10's engine) engine along with a 1.4L petrol engine would be available in the i20. This would probably mean that the Getz 1.3L version would be discontinued. Any info on this ? It wouldn't make sense to have Getz 1.1, Getz 1.3, i20 1.2 and i20 1.4L versions on sale - this would really confuse consumers. Added to this, is the existing i10 with the Kappa 1.2L engine, though the car itself is smaller than the i20 and Getz.

If the i20 gets launched with a 1.2L & 1.4L engine and the Getz 1.3 remains on sale too, then probably the Getz prices would be reduced a bit. Your thoughts on this are welcome. Any good discounts going on the Getz 1.3L ?

22,000 i10 cars produced and lying there unsold ??!! Sheesh man. That's a huuuge number of cars !! So all these would be 2008 model cars for those booking it after Jan 09 and discounts would be good. Also, this explains why many who booked the i10 in Dec 08 are getting fast deliveries especially of vehicles with a manufacture date of Aug 2008 !!

7.5 lacs for the i20 would be just too much man. That makes it more than 2 lacs more than the Getz which is about the same size (though the i20 is more spacious inside). If they launch the i20 with the 1.4L engine at a price for 6L or max 6.5L for the top of the line variant fully loaded with ABS, airbags etc then it would be cool. I guess at this point we can only wait and watch.

Get us more inside info dude. Interesting !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 19th December 2008, 19:19   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Also 10 days left in dec end and still no confirm launch date. Baffling.
December 28, that is what I read.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:28   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
It will sport a 1.4-litre petrol Kappa engine and will be manufactured at Hyundai’s Chennai plant.
This is a pleasant surprise. Never knew they had a 1.4 litre Kappa. Even ACI reported that it would have the same 1.2 litre engine available on the i10.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
December 28, that is what I read.
Any link from where you read this?
Old 19th December 2008, 20:26   #90
BHPian

Only 1.4 kappa is confirmed for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks