Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

If approved, implementation will be pathetic & will lead to corruption & adulteration.
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

I thought that the PM has a level head - what with his impressive "resume" floating around in emails! This move is going to - how ever it gets implemented - fuel (pun intended!) corruption in various forms, and across department and offices!
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:22   #18
BHPian

I dont know if it is going to work in our country.....surprisingly this already exists in germany. The diesel at fuel bunks is expensive.

The diesel for agriculture, power-generation & heating is half the price, this is same grade diesel but "dyed red" with some chemical.

the police checks your car sometime with a probe, if red dye is found in your fuel tank, you can be arrested.

but in our country I doubt it will give way not only for corruption, but for black marketing also.

The good soultion can only be to shift our dependence from fossil fuels.
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by METISWHG View Post
they are just prompting me to buy a tractor now (only for trips to fuel pump). Big B is a farmer & I will soon claim my right to be one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
If thats for BIG diesel cars, then i should get an used fiat 137D , and use it only when i need to fill diesel from petrol station...then i should transfer the diesel to my lancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Hmm... maybe I will buy a 2nd hand almost useless truck, double or triple the fuel tank capacity, fill it up and sell the diesel at a slightly higher premium. I think I already have customers

Am sure there will be many trying to do that (not buy a truck but sell diesel from their trucks). Why cant they simply add one time "fuel surcharge" for private diesel vehicles??
I know that the above comments are not made with serious intentions. Jokes apart, lets consider this:

What about the initial cost of these run down vehicles?

Why do we always find ways to beat the system, even when implementation is far off?

If people become responsible citizens and refuse to go the blackmarket way, for personal gain, won't this system work?

In India, any system fails, because people fail to look beyond their noses. This idea is mooted with a view to help companies minimize their losses. But we are already looking at ways of beating it.

Personally, I would invest the money needed for getting a rundown diesel car and increasing it's tank capcity, in these companies. I am sure, in the long run I will benefit more.

The day when subsidies are removed completely and diesel starts costing as much as, if not more, than petrol is not far.

No offence to any one. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The diesel for agriculture, power-generation & heating is half the price, this is same grade diesel but "dyed red" with some chemical.
the police checks your car sometime with a probe, if red dye is found in your fuel tank, you can be arrested.
I remember initially when we had cheap kerosene offered in Ration, they made it with blue color base. So if any shop keepers sell such kerosene was easily caught. Ofcourse we will have some means to "beat" this too, but it gives an option to implement. May be in the long run people will be more"civilized" and they themselves will be against this black markets.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
arunforu1 : I dont know if it is going to work in our country.....surprisingly this already exists in germany. The diesel at fuel bunks is expensive..
It works perfectly in India too. Petrol is more expensive than Diesel here. We have successfully done the opposite of what other countries are doing.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It works perfectly in India too. Petrol is more expensive than Diesel here. We have successfully done the opposite of what other countries are doing.
I didnt get you...here too petrol is more expensive than diesel. I guess its everywhere almost, petrol is more expensive.

I talked about duel pricing of diesle here for automotive use & for heating.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:11   #23
BHPian

A gas guzzler tax would be an extremely good idea, butit should be implemented for both petrol and diesel vehicles.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

The way it is going it seems that SUV/ MUV vehicle producers could face a very uncertain future. Imagine driving a petrol engined Safari or Scorpio that returns 5-6 kmpl.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, even at the same price, diesels are inherently more efficient, and toquey. While their appeal would reduce for a certain section, they still make a lot of sense.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

We are already paying higher road tax for the the vehicles >1500 cc. Now with this diesel hike means a big blow to high end diesel cars. Although we certainly need to know by what % the diesel prices will be hiked. If the hike is around 10~15%, then it does not matter much. But if this goes beyond this, then we have a bigger problem. The sales may come down for high end diesel cars.
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised what took Indian govt so long to come up with this?
I am anyway a mild supporter of commercial diesel being priced less than private diesel.

Diesel for personal usage should be same priced as Gasoline. It costs the same to manufacture - why is there a huge difference?

Of course ppl would come up with cribs and protests citing various reason: some as absurd as this cannot be implemented or that it will only lead to more corruption and blah blah, ... but that doesnt mean that Govt should'nt take a logical step forward.
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Of course ppl would come up with cribs and protests citing various reason: some as absurd as this cannot be implemented or that it will only lead to more corruption and blah blah, ... but that doesnt mean that Govt should'nt take a logical step forward.
But how do you check whether the correct rules is being followed. People may take diesel in cans and fill in their cars as it is being done now. You surely cannot stop this..
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking about this for quite long.
Looks like they read my mind

My brother was buying a laura and a swift deisel , will have to rethink now.
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:39   #30
SuperSyn

Best thing to do is to do away from subsidies and multiple pricings altogether. Let fuel be sold at market rates. Allow private companies to set up refineries and fuel as well. Or let them import and sell fuel. Do away from the license system for fuel stations.

Most Viewed