Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 23:51   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
...don't crib simply because two wheelers don't come with a diesel option...
anyone here remember "Taurus" the ghastly diesel version of Enfield Bullet that was around in the 90s? it even had a noisy fan on the rightside, under the fuel tank!

on topic, even tho i own a diesel car and am a "dieselhead", i support the move in bringing the cost of the fuel on par with petrol. its high time people like us who can afford expensive diesel cars stop enjoying the subsidy meant for the transport sector. I am fully with the government on this.

making it costly for industry and non-vehicular usage would have the advantage of driving those consumers towards alternatives like naphta, which is costlier currently due to the diesel subsidy.

now, the main problem that would have to be tackled is corruption. implementation is no problem as long as the watchdogs (police or any other govt department) are honest.

even if the diesel prices reach the current level of petrol prices, i am sure I (and many like me) would prefer to buy diesel anytime, for its torque, drivability and also fuel economy. that its greener is an added bonus.

one way I can think of is to compel the makers of diesel cars to make their engines extremely sensitive to fuel quality, almost like the diesel cars in Europe. that way they can sell premium 'clean' diesel at a higher price for cars and leave the cheaper "lower" grade for trucks, busses etc.

now if an influential car owner chooses to screw up his sensitive diesel car with inferior blackmarket diesel, its his problem! the govt will anyway tax his repair bills!
Old 6th September 2008, 19:06   #107
BHPian

Sun Network(Sun news) displays about this Dual diesel prices as Flash News!!!
Old 7th September 2008, 11:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

Why does the Government have to come up with such hairbrained ideas or thoughts? Can't it make simpler by having a uniform pricing? Dual pricing will bolster corruption.

If they make a decent and efficient PTS like the Delhi Metro, I'm sure the usage of personal vehicles shall come down very drastically. It shall be a major fuel saving move & deter corruption.
Old 7th September 2008, 12:13   #109
BHPian

I'm all for removing the subsidy not only for diesel, but also petrol. There will be initial jump of commodities prices. But that will stabilize after that as usual. But dual pricing? No. It will not work. It will create many issues:

1. Trucks will be unwanted customer on fuel pumps.
2. Trucks will start selling diesel on the roads, specially highways.
3. Every pump boy will start buying at rate of subsidized diesel and sell to car owners at a rate less than the non-subsidized, but more than the subsidized rate.
4. For some vehicles, it will be difficult to identify such as Tata Swinger or school vans. It could be for personal use or for public transport. Who would check the registration doc every time?
Old 7th September 2008, 12:23   #110
Team-BHP Support

In the UK, farmers get subsidised diesel. This is available through a separate channel and the diesel is dyed red. If HM customs and excise detect a car, via red tail pipes, using thi. It will be seized, verified and crushed
Old 7th September 2008, 12:45   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
In the UK, farmers get subsidised diesel. This is available through a separate channel and the diesel is dyed red. If HM customs and excise detect a car, via red tail pipes, using thi. It will be seized, verified and crushed

OUCH!!! Thats going to hurt, because this is exactly what all of India would be doing!
Old 7th September 2008, 13:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Farmers get a raw deal in India, price of inputs have gone up over the years yet price of crops is held back by the government. About time the government stepped in and sorted this inequality out.

However this is not the way to go. Why not leave diesel prices as they are and offer farmers lower cost red diesel. Or even better lets give them market prices for crops so they get their due in a so called market economy.

In the UK farmers get cheap red diesel, this works its way into the black market and people use it in normal vehicles. Sometimes the excise chaps do checks on vehicles to determine if red diesel is being used.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:08   #113
BHPian

I think people will start seeing black market for Diesel then. Transporters/ farmers selling diesel. Crappy idea as usual.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

Government taxes motor fuels to the hilt and then says that the OMC are selling fuel at a loss . It is a falshood the govt is propagating. The subsidy is on account of high taxes.

Yes, kerosens oil is massively subsidised . With the elections round the corner it has become fashionable for the govt to roll out ruinous debt waivers, rozgar yognas on one hand and look for avenues to tax the middle class to bankroll such hare-brained policies.
Old 7th September 2008, 18:01   #115
BHPian

Instead of, the Government can increase the Tax for New Diesel vehicles.
Old 7th September 2008, 18:27   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
...one way I can think of is to compel the makers of diesel cars to make their engines extremely sensitive to fuel quality, almost like the diesel cars in Europe. that way they can sell premium 'clean' diesel at a higher price for cars and leave the cheaper "lower" grade for trucks, busses etc.

now if an influential car owner chooses to screw up his sensitive diesel car with inferior blackmarket diesel, its his problem! the govt will anyway tax his repair bills!
i still stand by what I suggested in my post below...
Old 7th September 2008, 18:43   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i still stand by what I suggested in my post below...
What if the fuel pump screws up your sensitive car with adulterated or cheap diesel in the guise of selling premium diesel? That will not work. This is India. You cannot fight with pump owners.
Old 7th September 2008, 19:21   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ibm_jennifer : Instead of, the Government can increase the Tax for New Diesel vehicles.
Why just new diesel vehicles, this should be spread across all products, across everything ! The pinch will be lesser , & the spread Wider !

Btw, going that way will soon see us paying more for tax, and less for the actual product.

Do you know PC personally, any chance ?
Old 7th September 2008, 19:40   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Instead of, the Government can increase the Tax for New Diesel vehicles.
Well said. Thats the best way to deal with it. diesels can be taxed more so that the subsidy will be justified.
Old 8th September 2008, 09:06   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Well said. Thats the best way to deal with it. diesels can be taxed more so that the subsidy will be justified.
Well, my argument goes like this-
I quite agree that diesel is enjoying a differential subsidy as compared to petrol. I am seeing a lot of people here go after the luxury cars that use diesel, don't worry guys their impact, as we use it in maths is <<1 and hence negligible so refocus your angers elsewhere so stop . Also they are already paying a premium for owning a luxury car.
Just for clarification I don't own a luxury car, but a diesel hatch.

What I said in one of my earlier posts is that dual pricing is going to hurt the Govt/common man more than it not being implemented. That is because the consumption of diesel for the private cars is again that math figure <<1. So now make your calculation- introducing dual pricing will make diesel car owners pay more but extra from car owners is practically not even small change for the Govt. The bulk of the money the govt expects to raise comes from other commercial transport vehicles like trucks, trains and industrial consumers. It is a plain common sense that if the diesel prices increases for these latter consumers then prices of commodities will go up. This will lead to hyper inflation and believe me high inflation is very bad, bad for the govt and very bad for the economy in the long run.
So don't go about battering away the diesel car owners for eating up portions of your wallet, it's not them- it is the public policy of the govt to spur growth and infrastructure that is making this dent. Of course the diesel car owners are enjoying the lower prices, but how much of total cost is it, again it's that <<1 thing, cheers:

Last edited by zaks : 8th September 2008 at 09:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks