Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 12:18   #151
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio A/T (automatic transmission)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Hi Awarty,

How has your experience with your VLX AT been till date ?

I am getting a 2009 model driven for 49k kms for around 7.5 lakhs. Do you think it is a reasonable price ?

Also would you be able to give an approximation on the yearly maintenance cost on a post-warranty Scorpio AT ?

Thanks in advance.
@salunkhe.vizz, I have only covered 32K Km in the last 4 years so my usage pattern isn't the norm.

I am just entering my first year without the extended warranty so I can't comment on the costs.

Given that the manufacturer of these transmissions is bankrupt and no longer producing them I would agree with the other posters and suggest looking for an alternative.

That being said, I am confident that M&M will provide the necessary support so I don't have any plans to sell my vehicle any time soon.
awarty is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 14:13   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Misunderstanding, I think!

The person posting the query is buying a pre-owned one Scorpio AT (2009 model). Hence the responses are very valid. Buying one of the old ATs would be suicidal in terms of support and spares!
No. There is no misunderstanding.

Mahindra changed the automatic transmission from the Australian company (Drivetrain) to Bosch some months ago. There was no other modification made to the Scorpio to accommodate the new transmission. My Mahindra Service Supervisor confirms that it was a straight lift and shift with no couplings or parts changing. In which case, if you buy an old Scorpio and if your transmission does fail, they would still be able to swap out the old transmission for a new Bosch transmission with no difficulty at all.

Anyway, I have asked my Service Supervisor to call Mahindra and confirm this so that we can put all speculative discussions around this topic to rest.
Old 1st August 2013, 15:05   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Noted, please accept my apologies.

Would be great to hear the last word about the 'lift and shift' nature of the change! I wasn't aware that modern ATs are so modular in nature.
Old 1st August 2013, 15:44   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, I have asked my Service Supervisor to call Mahindra and confirm this so that we can put all speculative discussions around this topic to rest.
Interesting information Ananth. Must be one of very rare instances in the world of a straight 'lift&shift' job for a auto box from two distinct manufacturer. Do update once you get the confirmation from the M&M guy. The idea is quiet appealing actually, I must admit.

I would still advise to stay away from the earlier model since there definitely would be accountability issues.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:23   #155
BHPian

Guys, my friend is selling his HR26 registered 2012 July Scorpio 2WD AT. I will be paying him Rs 7.2Lakh for the car. I just wanted help to know if this is the older gearbox or the newer one. Also, I have browsed the forums and can't see any pertinent issues on this model being posted. Is that correct? It seems too good to be true.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:58   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Mahindra changed the automatic transmission from the Australian company (Drivetrain) to Bosch some months ago.
Bosch doesn't design/develop/manufacturer transmissions. This is false information.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:13   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Bosch doesn't design/develop/manufacturer transmissions. This is false information.
I think it does not directly manufacture but acts as a development partner to provide technology for others to manufacture auto cvt transmission. Of course unless you are working for Bosch then you are the best person to know
Old 7th October 2013, 18:00   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I think it does not directly manufacture but acts as a development partner to provide technology for others to manufacture auto cvt transmission. Of course unless you are working for Bosch then you are the best person to know
I don't work for Bosch, but am an auto enthusiast aware of the market. Generally manufacturers depend on OEM suppliers for major components including engines, transmissions, axles, fuel systems etc. Bosch has expertise in other areas, but they have never supplied transmissions to any manufacturer. They may for example make the shift control module, but only a major OEM manufacturer can supply a fully build Automatic Transmission to Mahindra. If you wish to believe otherwise, feel free to do so...

P.S. It is news to me that only people who work for manufacturers post information here..
Old 8th October 2013, 08:51   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I don't work for Bosch, but am an auto enthusiast aware of the market. Generally manufacturers depend on OEM suppliers for major components including engines, transmissions, axles, fuel systems etc. Bosch has expertise in other areas, but they have never supplied transmissions to any manufacturer. They may for example make the shift control module, but only a major OEM manufacturer can supply a fully build Automatic Transmission to Mahindra. If you wish to believe otherwise, feel free to do so...

P.S. It is news to me that only people who work for manufacturers post information here..
Yes, car manufacturers do take in most of the parts from OEM suppliers such as turbo, fuel injection, tires etc. I just read it in Bosch website that they do partner independent vendors for transmission. I may be wrong no big deal everyone is learning.

PS: It is news to me as well that only people who work for manufacturers post information and not auto enthusiasts.

PPS: I think we are going OT so lets discuss about the Scorpio AT only.

Last edited by motomaverick : 8th October 2013 at 08:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks