Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:32   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
ok let us say.. what if swift's engine goes to one more hatchback with not so cramped up rear seats etc. whatever swift have space problem with extra 50-60K.

I think getz is heavier than i10, and i20 will be there above getz segment. lol

Janta will spend? Nah!
Yes! We settled for a Swift because the Fabia had all the features we were looking for and was spacious, BUT had a pathetic 1.2 engine along with a harsh ride, and above all, expensive maintainence.

Many people I know will give 6 lacs on-road anyday for a larger Swift Zxi or a Hyundai equivalent - a car that is small on the outside but big inside. And yes, the Swift engine is good enough for a larger, more luxurious, more spacious hatchback.

You don't get it - people's aspirations are changing, and they want more of everything at the lowest cost -more space, more features and more luxury, but all in city-friendly proportions and at a low cost (purchase as well as maintainence). This is catered to perfectly by superminis like i20, Jazz and the G. Punto.

While 0-100 times don't matter much if you are driving mostly in city, still, if you consider the i10, the weight is 900 kgs average. The 0-100 time is 12.8 seconds for the 1.2 kappa. If you add 200-250 kgs for the i20, you will see a maximum 1 to 1.5 seconds increase in 0-100 time. This can be offset somewhat by remapping the ECU for slightly more power to come back to around 13.5 secs for 0-100. That, in my book, is very respectable and much better than the Fabia 1.2's 15 seconds. BTW - the UK i20 with 1.2 does 0-100 is 12.9 seconds. That's really good!

With so many points in favor, where is the problem?
cheers:
Old 22nd December 2008, 22:11   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Yes! We settled for a Swift because the Fabia had all the features we were looking for and was spacious, BUT had a pathetic 1.2 engine along with a harsh ride, and above all, expensive maintainence.

Many people I know will give 6 lacs on-road anyday for a larger Swift Zxi or a Hyundai equivalent - a car that is small on the outside but big inside. And yes, the Swift engine is good enough for a larger, more luxurious, more spacious hatchback.

You don't get it - people's aspirations are changing, and they want more of everything at the lowest cost -more space, more features and more luxury, but all in city-friendly proportions and at a low cost (purchase as well as maintainence). This is catered to perfectly by superminis like i20, Jazz and the G. Punto.

While 0-100 times don't matter much if you are driving mostly in city, still, if you consider the i10, the weight is 900 kgs average. The 0-100 time is 12.8 seconds for the 1.2 kappa. If you add 200-250 kgs for the i20, you will see a maximum 1 to 1.5 seconds increase in 0-100 time. This can be offset somewhat by remapping the ECU for slightly more power to come back to around 13.5 secs for 0-100. That, in my book, is very respectable and much better than the Fabia 1.2's 15 seconds. BTW - the UK i20 with 1.2 does 0-100 is 12.9 seconds. That's really good!

cheers:
Exactly!
For cities like Delhi, Mumbai etc, superminis are the future! You'll see that companies will make more money in this segment. Hyundai has only one blockbuster seller (i10). Getz hardly sells while in C segment they dont have any dominance at all. It is imperative for their future that i20 does well. And for that single most important factor is going to be PRICE (rather than engine). 6 lakhs for top end will be excellent price (if they can give all the features in Swift Zxi for this price). We dont exactly have a luxurious C segment car for this price. So people with not much fixation with boot would look at superminis. Fabia 1.2 Ambiente is somewhat close to this price but has exorbitant maintainance issues (very expansive spares and shoddy Skoda A.S.S) So it is ruled out. Chevy SRV is much more expansive so it doesnt sell. The reason why Swift sells so much is it is priced perfectly!
i20 1.2l top end at 6 lakhs (that is about 50-60k more than Swift Zxi) is just perfect!
Old 22nd December 2008, 22:17   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
i20 1.2l top end at 6 lakhs (that is about 50-60k more than Swift Zxi) is just perfect!
From what I heard last, you dont even get the i10 Kappa top version at 6 big ones. 6 for the i20 will be a pipedream - Hyundai India seem to be ordering their food and other accessories from the same place that Skoda India does.
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:05   #334
BHPian

I feel disappointed that Hyundai is all set to repeat its goofing up history with the i20, going by the initial reports and hearsay (as it did with the Getz by pricing it at premium, and offering a Diesel only half- heartedly).

Premium pricing does not work for Hyundai. i10 is an exception, but it is due to the absence real competition from any comparable product- Spark has the burden of GMI, Swift is more expensive and the Diesel stealing the thunder from the petrol, and the Maruti Ritz/ Splash is not yet launched.

The textbook "skimming" technique of pricing to exploit an early mover position in the car market does not work in India at the levels where Hyundai's products are positioned. People here define "value" as the excess of money saved over the compromises made. Some might also consider overshooting predetermined budgets if they think they are getting more than the excess money they part with.

If Hyundai launches an i20 with an i10's engine and price it at 6 lacs, God help them. But a 1.4L engine with good equipment packaging at 5.5-6 lac levels, or a CRDi Diesel at, say, 75,000 premium, might hit a really sweet spot.

Looking at HMIL's history, I might be . But still.
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:14   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
From what I heard last, you dont even get the i10 Kappa top version at 6 big ones. 6 for the i20 will be a pipedream - Hyundai India seem to be ordering their food and other accessories from the same place that Skoda India does.
i10 Kappa Asta (top end) ex-showroom price at Noida is Rs. 4,73,727.

6 lakhs you are saying must be OTR for AT and Sun-roof option. Both these add about 1 lakhs to the price and I dont think will feature on first i20s.

Edit: i10 1.2 Asta with AT and sunroof retails for about 5.5 lakhs (before any discounts and recent duty cuts).

Last edited by joslicx : 22nd December 2008 at 23:22.
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:25   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post

cheers:
Mileage part? this janta cares a lot, you can't deny it. adding 200 kg how much will be the mileage? annd that too ecu remapped 80 hp. means more decline in the mileage part.
well funny part is we don't know if it will be 1.2L or 1.4L. we aee just assuming things like ecu remaps, mileage, flops, success. I think first we should wait for its confirmed engine spec. then we should start off with this 1.2L engine talk. what do u say?
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:11   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
i10 Kappa Asta (top end) ex-showroom price at Noida is Rs. 4,73,727.

6 lakhs you are saying must be OTR for AT and Sun-roof option. Both these add about 1 lakhs to the price and I dont think will feature on first i20s.

Edit: i10 1.2 Asta with AT and sunroof retails for about 5.5 lakhs (before any discounts and recent duty cuts).
i paid 6 in bombay for at and sunroof. i have wanted sunroof for 15 years and now i have one in 3 days woohoo. and all those i20 dreams at 5 laks seem impossible since it costs 8k pounds without tax and stuffin the uk. even though the car is made here i dont think hyundai will be nice to give big discount on the car, this is business they will make money in the end, they are just giving this car to india because it is made here thats the only reason its a bonus, the price will be good and around 1 lakh cheaper than verna at max

Last edited by jesal : 23rd December 2008 at 00:15.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:29   #338
BHPian

I think 5.3L makes perfect sense, looking at it from their angle. It is priced just above the swift, which is right where they would like to position it.

And contrary to many opinions, I think people wouldn't mind prefer bigger car with a less powerful engine.

Again, the magna definitely does not come with ABS and Airbags, I would suspect the top end Asta version to be around 6.5L (which makes last week's offer of Ford fiesta at 6.5 OTR Chennai sound really really good). I think it is a decent price point cutting it just above the getz and just below the verna.

Not that I agree with the pricing. 50K overpriced in my opinion. I am thinking with the other hat on...

Last edited by d.kiran : 23rd December 2008 at 00:32.
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:08   #339
BANNED

Swift sells not only because it is priced right, but also it has a very different, standing-out and refreshing look (for most of the people, though someone feels that its looks are on the other side). It has a love-me-or-hate-me character.

It's a fact that both i10 and Getz are over-priced cars. And it's almost sure that i20 also will be priced in the higher price range, may be at around 30,000 more than Getz, in which case it will surely go the Getz way of negligible sales.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd December 2008 at 01:10.
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:59   #340
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
I think 5.3L makes perfect sense, looking at it from their angle. It is priced just above the swift, which is right where they would like to position it.

And contrary to many opinions, I think people wouldn't mind prefer bigger car with a less powerful engine.

Again, the magna definitely does not come with ABS and Airbags, I would suspect the top end Asta version to be around 6.5L (which makes last week's offer of Ford fiesta at 6.5 OTR Chennai sound really really good). I think it is a decent price point cutting it just above the getz and just below the verna.

Not that I agree with the pricing. 50K overpriced in my opinion. I am thinking with the other hat on...
this is above the swift. you cant compare this car is only going to play with 2 models honda jazz if it does get launched in this century and the skoda fabia. swift plays with i10 and getz anyways, hyundai does not need a 3rd car to kill swift. people still buy swift blindly thinking its maruti and its perfect. maruti might be 25 years old but quality wise they are just going south instead of north, oh well. if it comes with the same spec as sold in the UK this car is worth it, if it comes out like the getz, its just another car in india, BODY AND ENGINE. thats it.
Old 4th January 2009, 10:07   #341
BHPian

Hyundai to launch new Verna facelift

After the launch of i20 in December, Hyundai will kickstart the 2009 with the launch of new verna facelift. The D-segment where verna competes has witnessed most action in 2008. Honda rocked the market with the launch of new city, Ford facelifted the Fiesta and by mid January there will be another serious contender - Linea from Fiat. To counter these new models and to make verna contemporary. The facelifted new verna will come with minor changes in exterior and interior styling. The new verna will also get few valuable features with this facelift. A chrome strip on top of the grille and refreshed bumper are the new bits in the exterior. The refreshed interiors will include a new integrated music system. The new facelifted verna will be launched with in a week or two from now. As Hyundai is planning to launch the new Sonata embera facelift this month, you can expect the new verna after 10th January.

Source: Hyundai to launch new Verna facelift | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog
Old 4th January 2009, 10:28   #342
Senior - BHPian

No matter how much VFM it is and how many goodies are loaded, I guess Indians will never perceive Hyundai to be a luxury brand. And hence they shouldn't bother facelifting the Sonata Embera. People would rather prefer spending 13-15L on the Civic/Altis/Laura (Badge matters you see) rather than a Korean product.

Waiting for pics of the new Verna.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed