Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 22:10   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Had been to the Hyundai factory on Friday. I20 launch next month and cars production has already started. Then plan to initially produce 2000 cars a month. Will be available in 1.6ltr petrol at the present , later on a 1.2 ltr option will be added.
Can anyone tell what price the i20 would be and other detailed specifications?
Will it be priced in the segment of Swift?
Old 19th October 2008, 22:33   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
Will it be priced in the segment of Swift?
Highly unlikely, considering the fact that the i20 is positioned above the Getz (that means, i20 will be more expensive than Getz), and Getz is more expensive than Swift.
Old 19th October 2008, 23:19   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Had been to the Hyundai factory on Friday. I20 launch next month and cars production has already started. Then plan to initially produce 2000 cars a month. Will be available in 1.6ltr petrol at the present , later on a 1.2 ltr option will be added.
Well, the photos that are in circulation had a 1.6 badge too. Though I hope they launch the 1.2 too.

They plan to sell 2000 cars/month of the 1.6 variant? They better launch it at 6 lacs then! The Fabia does three digit sales despite the no. of variants.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:13   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be available in 1.6ltr petrol at the present , later on a 1.2 ltr option will be added.
Redrage, no word on the 1.4ltr petrol? Only 1.6 is being launched in Nov?
Old 20th October 2008, 14:22   #215
BHPian

HMI MD - "Launch late this year / early next year"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Well, the photos that are in circulation had a 1.6 badge too. Though I hope they launch the 1.2 too.

They plan to sell 2000 cars/month of the 1.6 variant? They better launch it at 6 lacs then! The Fabia does three digit sales despite the no. of variants.
Indian facility would be used extensively for European exports (European spec models (6 airbags et al) will be produced here). The 2000 / month capacity would thus include exports too. If the product is a hit, globally, we might be looking at long lead times in the Indian market.

An interview with HMI MD is reproduced below:

[SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Hyundai to invest Rs 200 cr for expansion in India - Oct 2nd 2008[/COLOR][/SIZE] PARIS: South Korean car major Hyundai will invest 50 million dollars (approximately over Rs 200 crore) in expanding its production unit at Chennai in India, as it gears up to go a step further to make the country its global hub with plans to start full-s cale shipments of completely knocked down units.

The company has launched its new premium hatchback 'i20', which will be mainly exported to Europe, but expected to be launched in India either by the end of this year or early next year. “We need to set up a fresh press line as to meet demands of newly launched premium hatchback 'i20' as well as the 'i10'. So we will invest around 50 million dollars to set up a fourth press line,'' Hyundai Motors India Managing Director H S Lheem told PTI here on the sidelines of Paris Auto Show.

He said a separate unit for the new press line would be set up at the company's existing plant at Chennai. “I have got approval from the board of the parent company in Korea,'' Lheem said, adding the company has also decided to start full-scale exports of completely knocked down (CKD) units from India as well.

“Our estimate is to export a total of 33,000 units of 'i20' this year and by next year we will start CKD exports to countries like Australia and New Zealand to save import duties in those markets,'' he said.

Mr Lheem said the mass production for exports of 'i20' would start by this month itself and the company's two units in Chennai are already running full capacity in three shifts of production. Asked how the 'i20' would be positioned in the Indian market, he said: “It will be 8-10 per cent more expensive than the 'Getz' and both will co-exist,'' he said. – PTI
Old 20th October 2008, 14:27   #216
BHPian

@all: yep the body shop told me that 1.6 ltr b/w 5.5 to 7 L Ex showroom.

Nope no word on 1.4 ltr. yet. We can never take what they as a 100% confirmed news but since they are producing locally, i would take their word.

I asked them about diesel and their strategy looks like the I20 will be placed just above Getz and down the line the GETZ 1.3 Petrol will go(only 1.1 petrol to stay), and the I20 and the Getz will share the 1.5 VGT 110 bhp. They said the I10 is like a luxurious Santro and the I20 will be like a glorified Getz. The I20 looks really spacious! They did not confirm anything about the 1.1 crdi and were tight lipped

And OT: An awesome new Embera was doing rounds in the plant, thought it was their Grandeur XG, but looked more like a beefed Embera.
Also seen was the Avante & Santa Fe being tested.

Last edited by redrage : 20th October 2008 at 14:35.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:55   #217
Senior - BHPian

Oh Shucks!!

Quote:

... and down the line the GETZ 1.3 Petrol will go(only 1.1 petrol to stay).
Oh man! Hyundai is totally screwing with my plans...

Not only will I be able to afford a 1.6ltr i20, but the 1.3 GLX will also be phased out [which I was planning to buy] and I will be getting a raw deal when it comes to re-sale value...

Crap! Hell! Dunno what to do now...
Old 20th October 2008, 16:03   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Not only will I be able to afford a 1.6ltr i20, but the 1.3 GLX will also be phased out [which I was planning to buy] and I will be getting a raw deal when it comes to re-sale value...

Crap! Hell! Dunno what to do now...
Dont worry as of now the Getz 1.3 will stay, and you might get a good discount on it too since I20 pricing will be quite close to 5.5 to 7L bracket.

I Just hope the dont make the I20 above that otherwise it will become another Chevy SRV or a Fusion kind in terms of pricing.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:09   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Not only will I be able to afford a 1.6ltr i20
What is the problem, if you are able to afford the 1.6 ltr i20. Buy it when it is released
Old 20th October 2008, 16:38   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
What is the problem, if you are able to afford the 1.6 ltr i20. Buy it when it is released
Oh! Silly me.. Never even crosschecked before submitting...

I meant to say 'Not only will I not be able to afford'... Thanks for pointing this...
Old 20th October 2008, 17:38   #221
BHPian

k_ajay - I get the drift. The kappa 1.2 would've been cheaper and would've had better mileage too right?

Well, I think Hyundai's trying to do a Skoda here - launch the top-end variant, wait for response, launch cheaper variants every 4-5 months until they fill the price bracket and establish the product. Keeps the media (and the customer) talking about it too.

I just hope they launch it soon.

Frankly I'm disappointed - its Diwali time. People (like me) would want to buy newly launched cars, especially after reading about all the buzz about 2008 being a mega-launch year in terms of cars with more than 40+ models/variants promised and the usual blahs. One car was launched - the Honda City and it's too expensive (on the higher side of c-segment). Nothing else has been lauched in the 5-8 lacs space yet!
Old 20th October 2008, 18:44   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
k_ajay - I get the drift. The kappa 1.2 would've been cheaper and would've had better mileage too right?

Well, I think Hyundai's trying to do a Skoda here - launch the top-end variant, wait for response, launch cheaper variants every 4-5 months until they fill the price bracket and establish the product. Keeps the media (and the customer) talking about it too.
Reppy,

The 1.2 Kappa would have been cheaper and good mileage too, Yes. But I was more keen on 1.4ltr 100hp engine, hoping it would come around 6lakhs on road, with the 1.6ltr and diesel engines being the ones to cross 6.5 and 7L prices...

I'm doomed now and left choice less, to say the least... If all that has been quoted here are true, then I'm back to being stuck and to decide between 1.3 Getz and Vista Quadjet..

God... I am hoping for a pricing miracle...

Last edited by k_ajay : 20th October 2008 at 18:50. Reason: minor changes
Old 20th October 2008, 23:40   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nope no word on 1.4 ltr. yet. We can never take what they as a 100% confirmed news but since they are producing locally, i would take their word.

I asked them about diesel and their strategy looks like the I20 will be placed just above Getz and down the line the GETZ 1.3 Petrol will go(only 1.1 petrol to stay), and the I20 and the Getz will share the 1.5 VGT 110 bhp. They said the I10 is like a luxurious Santro and the I20 will be like a glorified Getz. The I20 looks really spacious! They did not confirm anything about the 1.1 crdi and were tight lipped

And OT: An awesome new Embera was doing rounds in the plant, thought it was their Grandeur XG, but looked more like a beefed Embera.
Also seen was the Avante & Santa Fe being tested.
did your beefed-up embera looked like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyunda i20 on test and the new verna too-003.jpg  

Hyunda i20 on test and the new verna too-007.jpg  

Hyunda i20 on test and the new verna too-107.jpg  

Hyunda i20 on test and the new verna too-112.jpg  

Old 20th October 2008, 23:43   #224
Team-BHP Support

sid are those from a leaked brochure for India?
Old 21st October 2008, 00:21   #225
BHPian

Get your fill on the new Sonata from these links -

Website - :::::Hyundai Motor Company::::::
Brochure - http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/d...e/sonatafl.pdf (Approximately 21MB)
Photographs (Left Hand Drive) - Hyundai Sonata (2009) with pictures and wallpapers

And if you simply just cannot get enough then download the approximately 7MB file movie from here - http://www.sonata-hyundai.com/flash/sonata_movie.swf
Closed Thread

Most Viewed