Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 10:22   #76
BHPian

Guys, pls do give Hyundai a break. I think it is a bit unfair to look for possible design copies everytime they launch a product - common, this is only a steering design, the rest of the car looks amazing!
Hyundai has made giant strides over the past 40 years and it is time they got their due and not being considered as some poor cousins of their Jap counterparts.
I notice a condescending attitude towards Hyundai whenver I pick up a western Auto magazine and I see a bit of that occassionally here as well.
I do think that it is a bit unfair on Hyundai.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

Price of the top variant should be around 6L.
Looks bigger/taller to me, design is better than Swift.

Steering is bit of a copy from Civic, But gives a very nice look to a small car like this - none of the other small cars have such design. I hope this should replace Getz, as it may not have much meaning after i20s launch.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
design is better than Swift.

I hope this should replace Getz, as it may not have much meaning after i20s launch.
Its no way comparable to the swift. Its an all together higher segment.

They might not replace the getz, as it will be certainly priced well above it maybe in the skoda fabia range.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:31   #79
BHPian

The i20 looks great - looking forward to the launch :-) I just hope they get the suspension setup right for Indian conditions.

I remember reading the UK edition of the Top Gear magazine a few months back and they had rated the i20 below the i10 (i10 they had given 15/20 while the i20 had got only 11/20).
Old 29th September 2008, 13:40   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Its no way comparable to the swift. Its an all together higher segment.

They might not replace the getz, as it will be certainly priced well above it maybe in the skoda fabia range.
Bingo hemanthisgreat! You are absolutely on target. Hyundai is looking at doing a Santro-i10 situation with the Getz-i20. This is very clear if you study the photographs well. The i20 exteriors & interiors are a notch above the Getz. I am sure they are not comparing this car with the swift. For them Swift's competition is i10. If at all Hyundai brings in the CRDi i10 fast, they can take on Swift head on. I too expect the pricing to be in the range of Fabia, Toyota yaris/aygo, Honda jazz (if at all they are going to be launched in India).
Old 29th September 2008, 14:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

News from Dealer

Hi Folks,

I went over to Trident Hyundai on Indranagar 100ft road this Saturday for checking the Gets 1.3 Prime with beige interiors, a contender for my next car.

The sales guy has been an acquaintance for a while now. I told him that I was sure to buy the 1.3 Gets Prime if I do decide a petrol car, and also assured him that I will hold my purchase and also pay them a small booking deposit to claim my seriousness, if he told me when the i20 would release for purchase in India.

To this, he mentioned it ‘probably’ should come by 1st week of November, and if this doesn’t happen, before the last week of November. He also mentioned the Crdi units won’t be launched at this time, and the i20 pricing will be close to GETZ’s.

I hope this info is true and turns a reality. I’d love to pick up the 1.4 ltr 100bhp unit if it gets launched for 6 lakhs.

Cheers. ak
Old 29th September 2008, 15:28   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
What a shame man! They have copied the CIVIC steering. Thank goodness they did not copy the CIVIC multiplex meters
Have you seen the Toyota Yaris steering wheel - well its the same design. You mean to say Toyota has copied from Honda and Hyundai has copied from both of them....!
Advice to all: Think more & try designing a steering yourself and you will understand the complexities and before doing all these have a reality check in the market (domestic & world markets)
Old 29th September 2008, 15:31   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
The i20 looks great - looking forward to the launch :-) I just hope they get the suspension setup right for Indian conditions.

I remember reading the UK edition of the Top Gear magazine a few months back and they had rated the i20 below the i10 (i10 they had given 15/20 while the i20 had got only 11/20).
That's not possible. No magazine has got their hands on the i20 till date. You might have read about the i30.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:39   #84
BHPian

I just called up Safdarjung Hyundai in Gurgaon and they have no news on the i20 yet.

In any case dealers get to know only when they send their people for training, which is generally 1-2 weeks before launch.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Damn, why can't car makers get both the exteriors and interiors correct? First, Honda gave below par interiors for their G3HC and now Hyundai goofs up with the i20 interiors.To me, the interiors are a major disappointment. I expected so much more especially after the gorgeous exteriors. IMO, the i20 interiors are just an upgraded version of the Getz insides which is probably ok considering that the i20, internationally, is the Getz replacement but if they are going to target Fabia, Grande Punto and Jazz with the i20, then they should have come out with better interiors then the one they have now.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:39   #86
BHPian

The interiors arn't that bad. Infact, a very decent job considering what we get with the current Getz and Verna. Compare it with the Fabia and it looks at par. Compare it with the swift and it looks better!

I just hope Hyundai don't give us a fake wood finish, or even all beige interiors like the i10 - that looks bad, and a beige dashboard reflects onto the windshield much more than black.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Update: i20 confirmed for next month as per sources in Chennai. Dealer preview completed. To be priced above Getz. Dealers have been asked to push Getz strongly for Diwali. Sources not revealing specs. Vaguely saying, 2 engines, 1.4 and 1.6 with 3 models for petrol and 2 versions for CRDi. Very funny, Positioning like the Swift. I doubt all the versions will be launched right away.

I mentioned about Tbhp and she was surprised at the information and pics we have.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 30th September 2008 at 11:53.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:02   #88
tez
BHPian

pricing above getz? and we thought getz crdi was costly.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:09   #89
BHPian

As Getz already selling in few no's , would Hyundai still place it between i10 and i20 to be eaten by such fantastic products.

Just wait and watch!

Guys see the following pics, if they reveal something. Don't u think the rear portion of i20 is BMW 1 series inspired.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:15   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Update: i20 confirmed for next month as per sources in Chennai. Dealer preview completed. To be priced above Getz. Dealers have been asked to push Getz strongly for Diwali. Sources not revealing specs. Vaguely saying, 2 engines, 1.4 and 1.6 with 3 models for petrol and 2 versions for CRDi. Very funny, Positioning like the Swift. I doubt all the versions will be launched right away.

I mentioned about Tbhp and she was surprised at the information and pics we have.
Sorry Bro, This is all wrong info. Car will debut at Paris in the next couple of days, India will get to drive this car only in 2009. Engine specs will not be as mentioned due to the excise duty implications.CRDi will come later only. Expected price - close to Fabia
Closed Thread

Most Viewed