Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 16:40   #181
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why should anyone prefer it over the Chevvy Spark. Spark comes with a better engine (or rather better balanced by design, 4 cylinder compared to 3-cylinder) and is comprehensively cheaper.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:44   #182
Team-BHP Support

With the situation GM is in, I would be very wary of buying a Spark. I wish it was a Hyundai or something.

That said, a 4 month waiting period for A star is insane.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:48   #183
BHPian

Ridiculous

4 months waiting period for a newly launched car, will kill its market. Whats the point of launching the car, if they are not able to deliver. Even ONLY 50,000 for India, what stops them from delivering to the customer? IMHO, I think it shows their inability to meet the normal demands.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:49   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
the waiting period is 4 months as per the sales person.
4 months is very long especially for a newly launched car. The Zxi @ Rs. 4.12 lakhs looks VFM. But if the rear seat leg room isnt much, I guess the major buyers would be people who mostly drive alone.

Personally, I didnt like the design, the headlamps look wierd and the rear seat promises to be majorly claustrophobic with the upturned windows.

Hopefully the suspension is better. In my Wagon-R I can feel each and every pebble on the road.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:54   #185
BHPian

I can't stop myself from putting the original concept picture here.

So what was showcased and and what was delivered..

Attached Thumbnails
Maruti  Suzuki A-star Launching on 19th Nov EDIT- Brochure on Page 7-astar.jpg  

Last edited by hrishig : 19th November 2008 at 16:57.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:55   #186
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
With the situation GM is in, I would be very wary of buying a Spark.
i dont think it will be a big problem. By the way things are, the detroits big 3 will receive a bailout package. And since the american markets are not performing, they are going to focus more on emerging markets, if the bailout goes through, which means we can expect something good.

A Star is not in Bangalore showrooms yet. Hopefully by tomorrow.
To people who has had a chance to see A Star: How is the rear seat when compared to i10?

BTW, A Star website seems to stop@Everything

Last edited by mxx : 19th November 2008 at 16:58.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:58   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont know why should anyone prefer it over the Chevvy Spark. Spark comes with a better engine (or rather better balanced by design, 4 cylinder compared to 3-cylinder) and is comprehensively cheaper.
One good reason would be the dire situation GM is in right now! It can go bankrupt within weeks if it is not bankrolled by the govt. GM is already a small cap stock!!! The company's market value is about 1 billion dollars only!!! And they are bleeding red every year (last 3 year losses total some 40 billion dollars if I am not wrong).

GM will go thru heavy restructuring (that if US govt agrees to help them). Nobody knows what will happen to whatever brands they hold right now. I would be very skeptical of buying any GM products right now. There might be no GM next year!!!
Old 19th November 2008, 17:00   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post

Point well made! Reminds me of the famous quote--'There's many a slip between the cup and the lip'
Old 19th November 2008, 17:02   #189
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
That said, a 4 month waiting period for A star is insane.
I guess that was just a safe estimate by the saleman. No way they can project a waiting period until they receive some bookings at least.
If very few people put money down in advance (which could happen in today's market scenario) the car may be available much earlier. Only way to find out is to get in the line.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:11   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Man if Suzuki had launched that concept car, it would have costed something close to what Fiat is charging for 500!!! They wont have gotten even 500 customers in India for that!!!

But it was really awesome, the concept one. Wish they had also launched it, if only as a limited edition
Old 19th November 2008, 17:13   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
One good reason would be the dire situation GM is in right now! It can go bankrupt within weeks if it is not bankrolled by the govt. GM is already a small cap stock!!! The company's market value is about 1 billion dollars only!!! And they are bleeding red every year (last 3 year losses total some 40 billion dollars if I am not wrong).

GM will go thru heavy restructuring (that if US govt agrees to help them). Nobody knows what will happen to whatever brands they hold right now. I would be very skeptical of buying any GM products right now. There might be no GM next year!!!
It would be foolish to even think that GM will go bankrupt and will cease to exist next year. We had the same speculations about Hyundai too some time back.
GM has a slew of new models to be launched throughout the world markets. The latest Insignia is expected to bring in huge sales and so is the Cruze and the Volt. Dont write them off so easily.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:16   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man if Suzuki had launched that concept car, it would have costed something close to what Fiat is charging for 500!!!
And what makes you think so?
Old 19th November 2008, 17:18   #193
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Man if Suzuki had launched that concept car, it would have costed something close to what Fiat is charging for 500!!! They wont have gotten even 500 customers in India for that!!!

But it was really awesome, the concept one. Wish they had also launched it, if only as a limited edition

Modders, you know what we are waiting (pining) for

Damn, those half moon headlamps are worth killing for.
Who here thinks the Fiat 500 is better looking than the concept A-star ?
Old 19th November 2008, 17:20   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the waiting period is 4 months as per the sales person.
Maruti salespeople are like our cops. Every time there is a bomb blast within hours the cops come out with suspects names and sketches and details of how the entire operation was planned. Maruti salespeople are the same. Every time a car is launched they immediately have the standard 'waiting period is 4 months, Sir' dialogue ready. Looks like it's part of their sales training.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:28   #195
Team-BHP Support

This time they have supported the statement with a reason.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed