Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 17:35   #196
BHPian

Did maruti take advance bookings for the A-star ? Dont think so.

Then how can the waiting period be 4 months ?? I mean production of the A-star has been going on for some time now. Surely Maruti has enough stock to satisfy the people who will rush out to buy one right now.

I guess it is just an uninformed guess by the salesman.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:44   #197
Senior - BHPian

Pricing is on the higher side for the lower models, but for high end models, the pricing is OK.

This is what I understand from the pricing of A-star.
We all know what a great car the original Zen was. Then came out Estilo with basically Maruti 800 engine after we had G10 in original Zen.
People did not like it.

IMO, this is the car with which Maruti is trying to catch the original Zen image. And obviously this is the car that Maruti is trying to replace Estilo with. Good move.
Waiting for a test drive report. If the engine is well performing and rear space is not good, then I am sure this is the true replacement of Original Zen.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:47   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Maruti salespeople are like our cops. Every time there is a bomb blast within hours the cops come out with suspects names and sketches and details of how the entire operation was planned. Maruti salespeople are the same. Every time a car is launched they immediately have the standard 'waiting period is 4 months, Sir' dialogue ready. Looks like it's part of their sales training.
I enquired at Sai services Pune. He told me booking amount of 25k and said if I book by tomorrow they may be able to give delivery from first lot they receive. Right now they had 8 bookings.

-Sanjubaba
Old 19th November 2008, 17:53   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Then came out Estilo with basically Maruti 800 engine after we had G10 in original Zen.
People did not like it.
I think you are misinformed. Estilo comes with 1.1L 64 BHP F10D engine, which also does duty on WagonR and erstwhile Alto VX (pocket rocket).

The problem with Estilo is not so much the engine, but the non-ZEN like dynamics, shape and tinny build.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:54   #200
Senior - BHPian

Well thats the concept car and concept cars rarely gets launched for public.
i agree 4 months waiting is 2 much for people who want to buy it. Looks like another Swift Vdi waiting period story is getting repeated.
P.s - Mods can the Title be changed to A-star launched?

Last edited by harry10 : 19th November 2008 at 17:59.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:57   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
i agree 4 months waiting is 2 much for people who want to buy it.
4 month waiting period is not official. Its most probably the figment of imagination of an overenthusiastic salesman. There is no diesel so i doubt if it would even have a 1 month waiting period under current market
Old 19th November 2008, 18:10   #202
BHPian

When AStar Concept was shown in January 08 Auto Show, I remember reading at many sites/publications about the price to be around 2.4lacs to 2.7lacs for base version. At that price and looks, I thought I will buy it as second city car to be used by me or wifey. Even after crash in all metal prices (steel is at 50% of what it was in Jan 08), base version is priced at 3.47. What a difference in concept and production, both in looks and price. But do we have an option of modern small car at a price less than that. I know people say Spark, but i don't think it is modern by any means. If decade old Matiz can be considered modern in Spark avatar, we also have bigger cars like Indica Xeta, Palio 1.1 etc. at slightly more or less price.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:10   #203
BHPian

Just called Chandigarh Showroom, and they were sleeping. I asked that today A-Star was to be launched and got a reply that A-Star is to be launched on 21st.

Maruti people them self don't know about the launch. Then i told them that i saw the launch live on net and asked about the pricing and got a reply that the pricing is not yet disclosed yet in public.

Maruti showroom people are more like government employ. Nothing to do with outside world.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:29   #204
mxx
BHPian

are these prices given in this thread official? The website says the price will be updated soon.
Was it announced at the launch?? i could not watch the live webcast.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:38   #205
BHPian

I seriously think, it would look better if launched as a 2 door variant, the rear doors look quite cramped. I doubt how many takers would be there for 2 door variant.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:07   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It would be foolish to even think that GM will go bankrupt and will cease to exist next year. We had the same speculations about Hyundai too some time back.
GM has a slew of new models to be launched throughout the world markets. The latest Insignia is expected to bring in huge sales and so is the Cruze and the Volt. Dont write them off so easily.
Whos going to bail them out?
With all the financial mess in US, govt itself is in a quandary as to how long to support companies like GM. Its the same story as Lehman! Nobody thought they'd die!
GM is going to need major help from the govt and in return they'll have to make drastic changes within their group including closing down many brands or distress sale. We dont know what all cars might get affected and in what ways...
A famous dialogue from Hindi movies might encapsulate plight of GM vehicle owners - Ab inko dava ki nahi dua ki jaroorat hai
Old 19th November 2008, 19:10   #207
BHPian

First drive

Hi,

First drive report on A-Star at zig wheels

Zigwheels.com
Old 19th November 2008, 19:28   #208
BHPian

IMHO, A-star is overpriced. Remember this car is a Alto-replacement worldwide. Only, ZXi with all the goodies makes sense. I think in this depressive market, maruti does not expect it to sell too much, so priced it higher to maximise profit.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:32   #209
BHPian

re:A-Star

Whao!! The base varient costs 3.5 Lacs and that too for 998cc (not even 1000cc).
Old 19th November 2008, 19:42   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Whao!! The base varient costs 3.5 Lacs and that too for 998cc (not even 1000cc).
Hahaha... What that extra 2CC will do for you? Go by the performance, man! - not by the size!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed