Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 08:58   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Actually went and saw the car in person today. I quite liked the rear (which has been made a lot of fun off here).
I too had a look yesterday and found okay. But I have always seen that people with in depth technical knowledge tend to criticize. You will find lots of forums criticizing Windows-XP and prove with huge articles how Linux is better. But that does not hinder sales of Microsoft. Same applies to Maruti to most extent.

I think because all these fine specifications do not really matter as long as your daily usage is satisfactory.

-Sanju
Old 21st November 2008, 09:58   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
>a-star is more fuel efficent than i10 i think
> safety features at a lil lower price (zxi)
> love that tacho

thats it i think these are the good points of A-star

my personal choice would be to go for that i10 AT.

> because you get 80ps power. you never know when you need power.
> auto gives great relief from changing gear plus traffic on indian cities isnt going to get better.
> i10 has better interiors

its new alright but its sold as an alto everywhere but here, i dont know but its hard swallow that fact.
Dude so is i10 a replacement for Atos, Santro world wide. For that matter its standard to have driver side airbag and headlamp washers in i10/atos Europe. i-10 interiors being better is highly subjective. Compare an i-10 Era with A-Star Vxi and A-Star is miles ahead in its contemprary dashboard looks and integrated stereo.

The fact is that the two cars are positioned differently. There is a huge price to features difference in the cars. A Star is quite competitive in features and relative power mileage it offers to i-10 1.1 ltr. The kappa is a segment above and is quite pricier too.

Auto tranny is comfortable no doubt. But the fact that 99% of aam addmi would just go for manual tranny, doesnt make it a strong argument to discuss/compare an i-10 automatic.

The arguments of buying a i-10 over A-Star are similar to buying Swift over i-10.

Swift over i- 10:

+ More space
+ More power
- Less Features
- Less Mileage

Price difference quite less between the two. However i-10 still sells in good numbers and so does Swift.

Similarly i-10 over A-Star:

+ More space
+ More power for Kappa
- Less Features (in the price band)
- Less Mileage

I am sure you are going to see a lot many A-Stars. In this segment there are many buyers for whome even 50k is a big deal. Not many have access to internet, or realize the difference between a 3 cyl or 4 cyl mill. For them its looks, mileage, space, convienience, and PRICE!!!

Most Indians are limited to occasional highway drives and mostly drive in City. Its safe to assume that 95% of Indian audience (and 90% of bhpians) dont do a Bombay Delhi highway drive. We are limited to an odd 300km highway journey. Else its mostly office to work with an odd highway trip. If you want a highway cruiser neither i-10 nor A-Star are fit for the job.

Last edited by aseem : 21st November 2008 at 10:06.
Old 21st November 2008, 10:44   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude so is i10 a replacement for Atos, Santro world wide. For that matter its standard to have driver side airbag and headlamp washers in i10/atos Europe. i-10 interiors being better is highly subjective. Compare an i-10 Era with A-Star Vxi and A-Star is miles ahead in its contemprary dashboard looks and integrated stereo.

The fact is that the two cars are positioned differently. There is a huge price to features difference in the cars. A Star is quite competitive in features and relative power mileage it offers to i-10 1.1 ltr. The kappa is a segment above and is quite pricier too.

Auto tranny is comfortable no doubt. But the fact that 99% of aam addmi would just go for manual tranny, doesnt make it a strong argument to discuss/compare an i-10 automatic.

The arguments of buying a i-10 over A-Star are similar to buying Swift over i-10.

Swift over i- 10:

+ More space
+ More power
- Less Features
- Less Mileage

Price difference quite less between the two. However i-10 still sells in good numbers and so does Swift.

Similarly i-10 over A-Star:

+ More space
+ More power for Kappa
- Less Features (in the price band)
- Less Mileage

I am sure you are going to see a lot many A-Stars. In this segment there are many buyers for whome even 50k is a big deal. Not many have access to internet, or realize the difference between a 3 cyl or 4 cyl mill. For them its looks, mileage, space, convienience, and PRICE!!!

Most Indians are limited to occasional highway drives and mostly drive in City. Its safe to assume that 95% of Indian audience (and 90% of bhpians) dont do a Bombay Delhi highway drive. We are limited to an odd 300km highway journey. Else its mostly office to work with an odd highway trip. If you want a highway cruiser neither i-10 nor A-Star are fit for the job.
Excellent post!
People are wrong to compare it with i10 1.2 as there is atleast 80k price difference between the two.
between i10 1.1 & A-star its purely individual choice. space vs FE!!!
Old 21st November 2008, 10:49   #274
mxx
BHPian

Checked out the A Star yesterday at Pratham Motors ORR, Bangalore.
Rear legroom is not good, as expected. Boot space too very less. I am not tall, just 5'4", and if I adjust the driver seat for comfortable driving position, the rear legroom is too less to seat an person like me comfortably. Again as expected it can only seat 2 adults comfortably at the rear. And rear windows add to the cramped feeling. Materials used for interiors are typical maruti stuff(read feels cheap).

Now comes the best part:
Waiting peroid of 8 months.
And guys here were complaining about 4 months wait. It seems they are not even started accepting bookings. Booking starts only on 4th Dec.

Anyway If anyone loves the car so much and dont mind waiting 8 months, The on road price for zxi is around 4.85lks in Bangalore.
Old 21st November 2008, 10:53   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Checked out the A Star yesterday at Pratham Motors ORR, Bangalore.
Rear legroom is not good, as expected. Boot space too very less. I am not tall, just 5'4", and if I adjust the driver seat for comfortable driving position, the rear legroom is too less to seat an person like me comfortably. Again as expected it can only seat 2 adults comfortably at the rear. And rear windows add to the cramped feeling. Materials used for interiors are typical maruti stuff(read feels cheap).

Now comes the best part:
Waiting peroid of 8 months.
And guys here were complaining about 4 months wait. It seems they are not even started accepting bookings. Booking starts only on 4th Dec.

Anyway If anyone loves the car so much and dont mind waiting 8 months, The on road price for zxi is around 4.85lks in Bangalore.
Dude please do not sensationalize based on faulty information recieved from a sales guy (if indeed true). I was just told by a Maruti Sales man yesterday that if the cash is ready (loan approved), the delivery of the car can happen in 5 days in Delhi. They have a lot of 25 cars in the showroom I checked.
About the rear leg room, I am 5 ft 8" and I found the leg room quite comparable to Hyundai Santro. Rear leg room is nothing to write about for i-10, Swift, Santro either...

Last edited by aseem : 21st November 2008 at 10:58.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:03   #276
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Dude please do not sensationalize based on faulty information recieved from a sales guy (if indeed true). I was just told by a Maruti Sales man yesterday that if the cash is ready (loan approved), the delivery of the car can happen in 5 days in Delhi. They have a lot of 25 cars in the showroom I checked.
About the rear leg room, I am 5 ft 8" and I found the leg room quite comparable to Hyundai Santro. Rear leg room is nothing to write about for i-10, Swift, Santro either...
Maybe in delhi, i dont comment on what is the status in delhi.
And its not just 1 salesman. After reading the post in this thread about a-star being available in hyderabad without waiting, I took care to re-confirm and cross check the fact. I was even informed that they got only 3 cars(2 for each of their showrooms, and one for demo vehicle). Infact it is important for me, cos I am planning to buy a car in december and i was considering a-star. I am contacting 2 other dealers in bangalore, to know if the situation is any different from this. Will keep you guys posted,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Excellent post!
People are wrong to compare it with i10 1.2 as there is atleast 80k price difference between the two.
Not true, I have the on-road prices in bangalore.
A-Star zxi is actually more expensive that i10 1.2 Kappa Magna by almost 30k. And even i10 sportz is cheaper by a few thousand. I agree the the features of the versions in question is less than that of zxi, but if your budget is below 5lks, and if your priority is power, i10 is the way to go.

Last edited by mxx : 21st November 2008 at 11:04.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:28   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A-Star zxi is actually more expensive that i10 1.2 Kappa Magna by almost 30k. And even i10 sportz is cheaper by a few thousand. I agree the the features of the versions in question is less than that of zxi, but if your budget is below 5lks, and if your priority is power, i10 is the way to go.
Why only i10? Whats the problem with new Indica or Palio or Matiz(aka Spark)

i10 1.2 kappa would not have the following at least (compared to Astar zxi - similarly priced):
1. Stereo & Speakers
2. Airbags
3. ABS & EBD
4. Remote Locking / answer back
5. Fog lamps

Again, for a customer it is going to be a compromise between features, engine, space, FE, after sales etc. Under 5 lacks you can buy at least 10 so-called small cars (probably u can buy Getz Prime 1.1 also?) In the end AStar is going to be one more choice added to this list. Its good to have more choices isint it? Astar zxi will make a great choice for small families or single people who need a good efficient and relatively safe city commuter. There are thousands of people like that in cities like Delhi etc. Of course i10 will also be a good choice for all these people. But we dont want everyone in the country to drive an i10 do we
Old 21st November 2008, 11:29   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post
Except the front grill, A star resembles with 2008 Kia morning / Picanto ! Check the link below or Kia motor’s website.

Te presentamos el nuevo Kia Morning 2008 - Autocosmos.com
Designed in India, copied from the World ?

The A-Star positioning has really put Maruti in a tight spot. I think they'd eventually phase out the Estilo, increase the prices of Swift (It still sells like hot cakes) and bring the Splash in between.

All that leaves the Indian consumer a confused lot
Old 21st November 2008, 11:32   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe in delhi, i dont comment on what is the status in delhi.
And its not just 1 salesman. After reading the post in this thread about a-star being available in hyderabad without waiting, I took care to re-confirm and cross check the fact. I was even informed that they got only 3 cars(2 for each of their showrooms, and one for demo vehicle). Infact it is important for me, cos I am planning to buy a car in december and i was considering a-star. I am contacting 2 other dealers in bangalore, to know if the situation is any different from this. Will keep you guys posted,.

^^ Why compare A-Star Zxi with i-10 Magna??? Arent we comparing apples with oranges. Compare an A-Star Zxi with i-10 Asta, Vxi with Sports, Lxi with Era if its a features to features comparison.
In addition if your priority is power, than Swift eats i-10 for breakfast, dinner and lunch in that budget.

Lastly, its conclusive from reading your posts, that you have made up your mind for buying an i-10. Which is great. But why justify your investment by claiming in bold that the car has a 8 month waiting period, or lacks features, or lacks power, or claim it to be more expensive than i10 Sportz. These are highly subjective claims, given the fact you are buying an i10. I would rather you open a thread about benefits of i10, than to bash A-Star which is a car positioned in a different segment (slightly lower). Of course there is a price overlap, but you do get a lot more features.
You cant dispute the fact that A Star is cheaper than even i10 Era with 1.1 ltr engine and nearly similar power figures.

Last edited by aseem : 21st November 2008 at 11:34.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:37   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Designed in India, copied from the World ?

The A-Star positioning has really put Maruti in a tight spot. I think they'd eventually phase out the Estilo, increase the prices of Swift (It still sells like hot cakes) and bring the Splash in between.

All that leaves the Indian consumer a confused lot
Thats a very good example how ingenious our maruti designers our. Irony!!
Old 21st November 2008, 11:52   #281
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Why compare A-Star Zxi with i-10 Magna??? Arent we comparing apples with oranges. Compare an A-Star Zxi with i-10 Asta, Vxi with Sports, Lxi with Era if its a features to features comparison.
In addition if your priority is power, than Swift eats i-10 for breakfast, dinner and lunch in that budget.

Lastly, its conclusive from reading your posts, that you have made up your mind for buying an i-10. Which is great. But why justify your investment by claiming in bold that the car has a 8 month waiting period, or lacks features, or lacks power, or claim it to be more expensive than i10 Sportz. These are highly subjective claims, given the fact you are buying an i10. I would rather you open a thread about benefits of i10, than to bash A-Star which is a car positioned in a different segment (slightly lower). Of course there is a price overlap, but you do get a lot more features.
You cant dispute the fact that A Star is cheaper than even i10 Era with 1.1 ltr engine and nearly similar power figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Why only i10? Whats the problem with new Indica or Palio or Matiz(aka Spark)

i10 1.2 kappa would not have the following at least (compared to Astar zxi - similarly priced):
1. Stereo & Speakers
2. Airbags
3. ABS & EBD
4. Remote Locking / answer back
5. Fog lamps
I dont know why you guys are confrontational mood. I am not an i10 salesman. None in my family owns any of these companies or dealerships, or even own shares in these.

Mark my words. If A-Star does not have a waiting period in any of the dealership, and if I can make a booking for around 25-30k(cos that all i can manage in cash now), I am going for a-Star, no matter what. I use my head when I buy a car, not my heart.

And aseem and joslicx, lets have discussion that will help everybody, and not pick simple things in our posts. I dont know why joslicx keeps arguing when I clearly mentioned in the post that zxi without question has more features. And the only thing going for i10 is its power compared to other options under 5lks.

Again, if anyone thinks that I am ttelling a lie regarding waiting period, 080-41309100 is the number for pratham motors, ORR branch. You can confirm for yourself.

PEACE...pleaseeeee

Last edited by mxx : 21st November 2008 at 12:02.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:13   #282
BHPian

Is the zxi, of this car touching 4.85L OTR bangalore, I just can't believe this, I mean you can buy a 1.6 Palio (No FE comparison Though) with all the goodies, or probably with a few more thousands a Palio MJD basic version.

I feel its too expensive for a subcompact car
Old 21st November 2008, 12:54   #283
BHPian

mxx
Had called up Pratham motors on 080-41309100.
Enquired about the A-star, its specs - general enquiry chit-chat.
Though they have a car on display, test-drive is yet not available.
The lady on the other line told me that the waiting period is indeed for 7-8 months.

Amen.
Old 21st November 2008, 13:10   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Again, if anyone thinks that I am ttelling a lie regarding waiting period, 080-41309100 is the number for pratham motors, ORR branch. You can confirm for yourself.
PEACE...pleaseeeee
I just called Pratham, and was told that the waiting period is 8 months. However she also said that the sales person would call me back and confirm. Let him call and I will confirm this once again.
Old 21st November 2008, 13:26   #285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Is the zxi, of this car touching 4.85L OTR bangalore, I just can't believe this, I mean you can buy a 1.6 Palio (No FE comparison Though) with all the goodies, or probably with a few more thousands a Palio MJD basic version.

I feel its too expensive for a subcompact car
Don't you think that i10 is over-priced, you Hyundai guy?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks