Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 14:56   #166
BHPian

Has anyone taken a test drive of A-Star as yet ? Is it comfortable for 6ft + people? Looks quite chunky though.

Last week took a test drive of i10, my head was hitting the roof and knees hitting the steering. at that cost does not come close to a SWIFT.
Old 19th November 2008, 14:59   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
@romeomidhun:

The i10 1.2 Kappa 80 BHP with airbags & ABS goes for Rs. 4.9 Lacs whereas the A Star ZXi is priced at 4.12 lacs. For the premium, the i10 has a larger engine, and some featutres like a rear wiper. May I suggest that a comparison between i10 Era and A Star VXi shall be more fair? And i10 perhaps look better than A Star, at least in photos. Suddenly the Spark looks more VFM.
Thats still 80k rupees difference! i10 1.2 kappa Asta price just touches Swift Zxi that has more features!

Anyway if you could add 80k to your car budget you can always buy a bigger/better car [true for almost all cars below 7-8 lacs in India]. To me i10 actually looks overpriced by at least 50k rupees (given that it is Santro replacement worldwide)
Old 19th November 2008, 15:18   #168
BHPian

Just back from the Maruti showroom.

To me the car looks far better then the i10. But looks are subjective.
Few obsevations :

1. The rear leg room is going to be the real concern for tall people, but good enough for medium sized indviduals.

2. PW switches on the door are awkwardly placed as you have to take your arm back to access them.

3. Dashboard layout is pretty neat.

4. The enginebay is really very neat.

The minimum booking amount is Rs. 50000/- in Delhi and the waiting period is 4 months as per the sales person. As per him 200000 lac cars will be produced within the first year, of which 150000 will be for exports and only 50000 for the domastic market and hence the waiting.

Sorry couldn't click any pictures as there were too many people around the car.

Last edited by Car-Agey : 19th November 2008 at 15:23.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:21   #169
BHPian

The cat is out!

The issue is not about having older and new models together but the way pricing has been done between them. I am not sure whether the new ALTO (read A-STAR in India) is sold with such price difference in other markets. Since Alto is sold alongside MSIL is voluntarily placing A-Star above it which is not justified. The same happened to i10 too. Now the manufacturers have understood the indian minds or rather driven them in the way they wanted to such pricing methods.

Every manufacturer has to find innovative designs and features according to the growth of the industry. If they think they can charge a premium for every model they introduce in the market. Then they will learn their lessons in time.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:21   #170
Team-BHP Support

What are the OTR prices ?

And 4 months of waiting time !!!

Why the hell did they launch the car then

Last edited by Eddy : 19th November 2008 at 15:23.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:24   #171
BHPian

Amazing pricing on the Zxi by maruti !!

Till now, the only VIABLE option for a safe small car was the hugely overpriced i10 Asta. Now at just 4.11 lacs, one can have ABS AND AIRBAGS.

Seriously, why would you want to buy an i10 now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Some Pictures from Suzuki Motors plant in Manesar.
Why Omni and Alto are seen in Manesar plant? I think they are built in Gurgaon plant!

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th November 2008 at 15:49. Reason: Baqck to back posts
Old 19th November 2008, 15:33   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Thats still 80k rupees difference! i10 1.2 kappa Asta price just touches Swift Zxi that has more features!

Anyway if you could add 80k to your car budget you can always buy a bigger/better car [true for almost all cars below 7-8 lacs in India]. To me i10 actually looks overpriced by at least 50k rupees (given that it is Santro replacement worldwide)

Exactly my point, Joslicx!
Old 19th November 2008, 15:35   #173
BHPian

The headlights look funny.

4 months waiting - forget it

Very neat looking tacho

Is there a diesel version to be launched?
Old 19th November 2008, 15:40   #174
BHPian

Can someone compare it to the Estilo. If someone who is looking to buy their first car, the comparison between Estilo and AStar would be quite useful considering that Maruti still rules the roost for first-time buyers.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:43   #175
Senior - BHPian

Estilo is not a new platform so I wouldnt recommend it. A Star is more VFM compared to i10 1.1 ltr options. However if budget is not an issue, I'd say go for an i10. If budget is an issue A-Star Vxi and Zxi make killer deals for family 2 adults and 2 kids or as a second car for the wife.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:55   #176
BHPian

No I meant that a first time buyer generally is budget conscious and would end up choosing between Estilo and AStar. In terms of price point what's the difference between the LXi, VXi and Zxi models of both these cars?
Old 19th November 2008, 16:10   #177
BHPian

Just trying to imagine if A-Star is 3.46~4.11 then what would Splash cost when it is launched (god knows when)....
Old 19th November 2008, 16:17   #178
BHPian

The A-Star LXI is a good 65K above Alto LXI. I could not understand what safety, comfort and features, specs would justify this, especially when this is the lower segment of hatchback.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:22   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
No I meant that a first time buyer generally is budget conscious and would end up choosing between Estilo and AStar. In terms of price point what's the difference between the LXi, VXi and Zxi models of both these cars?
A-Star scores over Estilo in almost all depts barring:

1) Engine (Estilo has a 4 cylinder, 16 V engine)

2) Space (Estilo is marginally more spacious as per wheel base, I havent seen A-Star in Person to comment)

Rest all other depts A-Star scores higher than Estillo, to name a few:

1) Better Looks (exterior) more contemprary

2) Better Interiors

3) More loaded with features

4) Better Mileage

5) Better Safety

I think in long run A-Star might hold better resale value over Estillo. Estillo might be replaced in the future due to bad sales, but A-Star would surely do well for Marutiy. In the end both have their USPs, its a tough choice. Driveability wise Estillo is better, but all other things would make one choose A-Star. In the end i would go with A-Star, simply cause its a going forward platform!
Old 19th November 2008, 16:33   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
The headlights look funny.

4 months waiting - forget it

Very neat looking tacho

Is there a diesel version to be launched?
4 months waiting is a long time for a newly launched car.
The price os 4.11L for the topend model is a good one. Will check at the showroom here in Chandigarh about the waiting period.
The website is very slow in opening-http://www.marutisuzukiastar.com. Is it slow every where. maybe due to heavy rush on the site has made the server slow. what say?

Last edited by tarunmadhok : 19th November 2008 at 16:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks