Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 19:46   #211
Senior - BHPian

As per that Zigwheels report Maruti sure does have a winner in this segment.
To me the interesting point is when the writer has mentioned he was cruising at 140km/h and find the car quiet stable. For a small car thats big achievement.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:03   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think you are misinformed. Estilo comes with 1.1L 64 BHP F10D engine, which also does duty on WagonR and erstwhile Alto VX (pocket rocket).

The problem with Estilo is not so much the engine, but the non-ZEN like dynamics, shape and tinny build.

Sir, I meant that Estilo was not liked by public. I know that Wagon R's motor is M800 with one more cylinder 4 valves per cylinder since it hit the market ( read in ACI test back in 2000, I suppose ).

But the real point is that Zen Estilo's refinement and performance was not much appreciated by people ( read poor top end compared to Zen G10 ).
And add to that poor dynamics and flimsy build.

So Maruti has now got a good replacement for Estilo and this car can play the role of Original Zen. Interior quality might not be the best, but a good package overall. That is what I meant.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:10   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
IMHO, A-star is overpriced. Remember this car is a Alto-replacement worldwide. Only, ZXi with all the goodies makes sense. I think in this depressive market, maruti does not expect it to sell too much, so priced it higher to maximise profit.
Yes, it is overpriced. It is not as attractive as i10, with recession in place, By Q2 09 it may be available for whopping 40K discount.

Sorry guys, i am not criticizing this car. All the Car manufacturers will have tough time. Even more Seized cars from EMI defaulters will be available for affordable price.

A cheaper car is required from Maruti Stable with Smaller diesel engine.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:10   #214
BHPian

i-10 vs A-Star

A-Star wins in the following departments:

- Cute looks
- Better interiors
- Wider, shorter, heavier - handling should be much better
- Better Mileage/average, lower emissions

i-10 seems to be better in the following departments:

- 4 cylinder engine - easier to drive with heavier loads - 5 people + AC
- Peak torque of 99Nm@ 2.8K RPM against AStar's 90Nm@3.5K RPM. In-city drivability should be much better in an i-10.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:18   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
- Cute looks
Maybe its just me. I find its looks a little childish; a little funny to be earnest.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:22   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Sir, I meant that Estilo was not liked by public. I know that Wagon R's motor is M800 with one more cylinder 4 valves per cylinder since it hit the market ( read in ACI test back in 2000, I suppose ).

But the real point is that Zen Estilo's refinement and performance was not much appreciated by people ( read poor top end compared to Zen G10 ).
And add to that poor dynamics and flimsy build.
Sir,
Regarding the WagonR motor being M800+1 cylinder more, as cited by ACI test in 2000, has been discussed several times on the forum before, and has been proved wrong. I think there even was a letter written to the magazine editor about it by a member here, a couple of years back.

Anyway, let me put some more light on this.
M800 = F8B Series engine
Maruti Alto=F8D Series engine

WagonR=F10 D Engine.

F10D is not equal to F8B + 1 more cylinder.
F10D is an extension of F8D(Alto) series engine.
And, F8D(Alto engine) is not equal to F8B(M800 MPFI engine).

Also, another point i may add. Suzuki had replaced the international Alto (Our retro-Zen) with our Alto VX (F10D). If F10D was inferior to G10, why would they have done that?

I hope i am clear?

Now let me come to the performance aspect of G10 (Zen engine) and F10D (WagonR/Alto VX engine).
The G10 has a relatively free revving all-aluminum 4 Cylinder engine, has better refinement levels than the F10D. However, F10D has better torque lower down the rev range, which makes it easier to drive in stop and go traffic. Also, F10D produces more power output than G10, and also the top end is similar. Although the 16 valve clatter of F10D means the engine sounds rough and unrefined.

Coming back to the Estilo, the drivability and performance is nothing to complaint of, although refinement level is. The main reason Estilo fails to attract buyers is the Feminine looks, poor dynamics, lousy handling and tinny build.

Hope your doubts are cleared now.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:24   #217
BHPian

Quote:

- Cute looks
- Better interiors
aah! personally i feel very difficult to subscribe to these to points!

Quote:
Sir,
Regarding the WagonR motor being M800+1 cylinder more
What the general public thinks is this:

M800 engine is 796cc, which means that 796/3=265cc per cylinder
Wagon R engine is 265cc x 4= 1060cc (decimals not taken here for ease of calculation)

What a lay man will perceive is that its nothing but M800 engine with an additional cylinder. No rocket technology involved here to make the Wagon R engine. A lay man is actually not interested in F10 or G10s most of the time

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th November 2008 at 16:49. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:37   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Whao!! The base varient costs 3.5 Lacs and that too for 998cc (not even 1000cc).
HaHa, you got to be kidding me. Do you really mean what you say, that since car is 2 cc less its a big deal roflmao.

Dude when a similarly featured small hatch with 1.2 ltr engine in form of i10 sells close to 5 lakhs, than this car fully loaded certainly can demand 4 big ones.

Last edited by aseem : 19th November 2008 at 20:42.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:46   #219
BHPian

The top end has good safety features (ABS and Airbags).
No offense , but are they really good..., I mean since the a-star is supposed to be conceived and designed in India, i assume these parts also have been designed specifically for a-star in india ..Have they undergone any crash tests etc ?
Old 19th November 2008, 20:58   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

Anyway, let me put some more light on this.
M800 = F8B Series engine
Maruti Alto=F8D Series engine

WagonR=F10 D Engine.

F10D is not equal to F8B + 1 more cylinder.
F10D is an extension of F8D(Alto) series engine.
And, F8D(Alto engine) is not equal to F8B(M800 MPFI engine).
Sir, You are crystal clear. But where do you get engine model, and characteristic details? I have always wanted to read more on engines but never found data which tells me which engines are plonked on which indian cars.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:06   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont know why should anyone prefer it over the Chevvy Spark. Spark comes with a better engine (or rather better balanced by design, 4 cylinder compared to 3-cylinder) and is comprehensively cheaper.
Maruti will still attract lot of buyers who do not even consider Spark from GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
4 month waiting period is not official. Its most probably the figment of imagination of an overenthusiastic salesman. There is no diesel so i doubt if it would even have a 1 month waiting period under current market
I get a feeling the Maruti salesmen are programmed default to talk of a long wait period irrespective of what the actual scenario. We will get to know of the actual scenario in a few days; but a wait period is likely if they earmark majority of the production for export.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:18   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Cute looks
- Better interiors

- Peak torque of 99Nm@ 2.8K RPM against AStar's 90Nm@3.5K RPM. In-city drivability should be much better in an i-10.
Have you driven one???
Old 19th November 2008, 21:36   #223
BHPian

Quote:

- Cute looks
- Better interiors

Hi pravin, I would like to put forward my opinion on your post,

Cuteness: I think that is subject to person's opinion, side profile I think so is copy of i10 ! And I find i10's shape to be cuter.

Better interiors: How can u say that, have u seen them ? Because I doubt the plastic quality from Maruti... they are generally pathetic and also, beige in i10 gives more upmarket feel and hyundai's plastic is also better.

Handling : Better just because its shorter and heavier ! I wont agree unless I TD it. One cant make an opinion just by dimensions and weight.

Mileage : I think its too early to comment on this. Having 1 cylinder less doesn't always convert into better mileage.
I have an alto, and I got that one for its mileage but surprisingly, many times it gives lesser mileage to NHC, under same conditions.

The other 2 points u have put forward, I totally agree with that. It may sound that I'm biased towards i10 but i think, i10's price is higher compared to A -star and so better interiors and everything is expected, I found only sports kappa and Zxi to be having similar price ,

engine specs of i10 were better
safety features of a-star to be better.

I would still refrain myself on commenting on both cars unless I have a TD of a-star.

Last edited by inferno : 19th November 2008 at 21:41.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:58   #224
BHPian

after going thru the website it doesnt feel that bad as some people are making it out to be.few points which i would like to stress. i havent taken a test drive but what i can say for sure is

1) i know its an alto replacement. but pricing is bang on target,
2) this car will be fuel efficent than the kappa.
3) i dont like the interiors of swift. hate the quality of plastic. so no points for guessing how A-star interiors will be.
4)come on guys admit it. this thing is a cutie
5) i love how they managed to reduce the drag coefficent ratio to just
6) its shorter in length and i think has a 4.5m turning radius good for city driving.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:01   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Cute looks
- Better interiors

My opinion regarding the above said -
Cute - i10 is more cuter.
Interiors- No way A-star can win in this regard, i10 has far better interiors and beige looks very good in it.
Handling - No comments till the test drive
Mileage - yup Maruti is famous for producing good mileage cars so A-star can be a winner here.

Engine point i agree with you.
Better drivability is again subjective to the TD.

Btw does anyone knows when will TD car will be available in NCR region?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed