Team-BHP - Guide on places to avoid during rains
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Guide on places to avoid during rains (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/45250-guide-places-avoid-during-rains.html)

It has been raining incessantly for the past few days in Pune. This being september, it comes as a surprise. Half-a-month's rain in 2 days

I had a bad rain-experience driving my way after work on a usually-normal road. This thread is to list all the must-avoid places in your cities - so that people like me take more than usual precaution while driving through them during heavy/moderate rains. I travel to Mumbai often by car, so would request mumbaikars to similarly advise on Mumbao roads as well.

Places to avoid in Pune while driving during rains
  1. Khadki
    1. Aundh Road, towards the khadki station gets a nice knee deep puddle
    2. Underpass near Khadki Police Station: Must Avoid
  2. Bopodi
    1. Underpass at the end of Bhau-Patil Road gets submerged in rain
  3. Bridge opposite Corporation
Also, due to CYG most roads in the east are dug up. Here's a heads-up on roads in the east if you're coming from Mumbai [and don't know about it]
  1. Baner road [when you take left from the Bangalore Highway] is closed. Enter Baner via Pashan [Chandni Chauk] or Via Wakad
  2. Baner Road - Hotel Mahabaleshwar onwards is closed
  3. Alternative Routes from Mumbai in case you need to go to KP or Kalyani Nagar: Avoid Baner, Enter city via dighi. Post nigdi, the route is 4-6 laned up until dapodi [except a few patches]. Take a left from Dapodi-Khadki red light just after Dapodi Harris Bridge. Head straight to Bombay Sappers > Yerwada > KP or Bombay Sappers > Kalyani Nagar
As an aside, Pune is in a mess and common wealth games are 4 weeks away. Holy Cow, we're going to get a very bad name.

I was stuck up or rather submerged in water and the ensuing traffic jam for well over one hour at the RSI club on 2nd of September.

It took me over 2 hours to travel 10 kms. I was frustrated beyond words. The whole of Pune is in a huge mess.

Nikhil

Flooding stretches:

- Priyadarshini Junction, a junction of Sion-Trombay road and Eastern Expressway
- Sion Hospital-King's Circle
- Hindmata Cinema, beween Dadar East Gurudwara and Parel flyover
- Dockyard Road, on D'Mello Road
- Milan Subway in Santa Cruz
- Sewree, on BPT Road

Bad roads:

- Thane-Belapur road between Turbhe and Kalwa
- Kalamboli-Shil Phata-Kalwa, on NH4
- Kapurbawdi Junction, in Thane, en route Bhiwandi/Ghodbunder/Ahmedabad

avoid India altogether? :lol:

just kidding. Alright, lets list down Bangalore rain-hit areas:

1. Anywhere in the Hosur - EC road after rains in the evenings mean that you better pack dinner and then start driving from office. There will be enough time to switch off your car, eat your dinner and move an inch.

2. BTM - Silk Board - there's no silky movement of traffic here after even a drizzle. Primarily due to the bad condition of the roads near the junction which makes all motorists slow down, leading to a cascade all the way to jayadeva flyover.

3. The junction right after Military school (with the mosque on the left) going towards Residency road. Part of the road is missing and so everyone goes into a little one-and-half lane to get past the potholes, and then fan out in about 6 lanes to get into 2 lanes leading away from the signal. Hilarity ensues.

4. Anywhere near Majestic in the evenings after a shower means that you are either very brave or really love traffic.

Thats all I got, solely from my own experiences. That being said, I reached BTM from Sarjapur in 15 minutes yesterday. :) But it was at 11PM.