Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 15:55   #2011
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fuel Price Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
B'lore fuel prices are more than Chennai, the lone exception being Shell.
Ah! That's why I got confused.

I think B'lore and Pune are being royally looted; historically, these 2 have always paid much more than most cities. An unfortunately, I have the distinction of having spent a considerable amount on fuel in both these cities!
Old 25th June 2011, 18:47   #2012
Distinguished - BHPian

More prices :-

(All prices in Rs./ ltr as updated on June 24th, 2011, and might be subject to changes depending on the state)

Bengaluru -

Petrol - 71.10
Diesel - 45.34

Hyderabad -

Petrol - 70.70
Diesel - 44.33

Pune -

Petrol - 68.18
Diesel - 43.23

Ahmedabad -

Petrol - 67.53
Diesel -45.21

Chandigarh -

Petrol - 64.17
Diesel - 41.25

Lucknow -

Petrol - 67.42
Diesel - 42.56

Trivandrum -

Petrol - 67.13
Diesel - 44.39

SOURCE - mypetrolprice
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 20:34   #2013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
B'lore pays Rs. 71.05 for normal petrol! I bet the Pune guys understand the pain.
I can understand the pain very much since Thane the poor cousin of Mumbai too pays 71+ thanks to the age old Octroi. God knows when are they going to abolish this practice of legal looting.
Old 25th June 2011, 21:18   #2014
BHPian

And the strange thing with me is that whenever my office gets closer to my home, there will be minimum 3-4 fuel hikes that adds up to my burning pocket.

I have recently changed my job in Jan'11 and since then, there is already been 3 hikes If my guess is correct. Last time there were 3 in 3+ yrs with my prev job. But, this time, its already 3 in 5 months God knows what'll happen in another 3 yrs time.
Old 26th June 2011, 08:07   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Pune -

Petrol - 68.18
Diesel - 43.23
It's 68.50 in Pune. I filled-up yesterday. But with such prices, what's few paise, eh?
Old 27th June 2011, 13:05   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

PS : KSRTC is all set to increase prices in 2 days. Expect a whole lot of others to follow suit!
Its already done!
I had a reservation in ksrtc on sunday, which I missed and had to take the next bus, and the ticket price was almost 40 rupees more than the cost when I reserved (original cost was 290)! more than 10% hike for 10% hike in fuel?
I also heard BMTC volvo daily passes will cost 90 Rupees now.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:54   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The price of crude oil per barrel has drastically decreased.
Now let's see if the govt. is truely free market or not if it keeps the present prices with the decrease in 'international' crude oil prices, a thing that they used as an excuse for increasing prices in the first place.
If my guess is correct, the Indian oil prices is guided more by inflation rather than by global crude oil prices. The Indian pricing is very arbitrary and whimsical depending mainly upon interests of pvt oil companies, to curtail cash flow and reduce inflationary pressure in economy etc.

It may even be possible that the telecom 2G scam by A. Raja and Co. also created a lot of surplus funds in pvt hands to the tune of lakhs of crores (again govt knows best what is truth) and thus as a result to balance the total economy the rest of folks need to be highly taxed. And indirect tax such as the tax on petrol/diesel is the most effective tax-earner for govt in India as yet.

So basically the highly obscene prices we are paying for petrol may be due to the corruption and gross inefficiency elsewhere in economy. At this rate our economy will turn from economy to dekhonomoney.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 19:47   #2018
Senior - BHPian

@lurker - either you are joking or you need to get your facts right before ranting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If my guess is correct, the Indian oil prices is guided more by inflation rather than by global crude oil prices. The Indian pricing is very arbitrary and whimsical depending mainly upon interests of pvt oil companies, to curtail cash flow and reduce inflationary pressure in economy etc.
It is well known that private oil companies loose on retail business when the subsidy becomes too high - private oil companies get no subsidy at all.

Also, inflation increases with higher diesel prices (roughly 0.4% for every 1% increase in diesel price - calculated by Yes Bank economists recently). To control inlfation govt. would rather keep fuel prices lower - this is easier when crude is falling.

Quote:
It may even be possible that the telecom 2G scam by A. Raja and Co. also created a lot of surplus funds in pvt hands to the tune of lakhs of crores (again govt knows best what is truth) and thus as a result to balance the total economy the rest of folks need to be highly taxed. And indirect tax such as the tax on petrol/diesel is the most effective tax-earner for govt in India as yet.
??? how does taxing everyone balance the economy? some guys made (illicitly) more money so to balance it out you tax others?

How did it sound logical to you?

Quote:

So basically the highly obscene prices we are paying for petrol may be due to the corruption and gross inefficiency elsewhere in economy. At this rate our economy will turn from economy to dekhonomoney.

There are three reasons you are paying heavy prices for petrol:
  1. Crude prices are high. The recent decrease in crude is mot likely only temporary (developed nations cutting their strategic reserves for next two months) - and even with that crude is not exactly cheap.
      1. The fundamental reason for this is also the reason why you can rant in the first place - development over the last decade in India/China has increased demand for petroleum
  2. Central govt. has grown used to extra tax receipts - when it gets more import duties and excise it doesn't have to raise income or corporate taxes.
  3. State govt.s are positively greedy (and at the same time dishonest about it) - they make a big hue and cry, but wouldn't cut their own taxes
Old 27th June 2011, 21:39   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
More prices :-

(All prices in Rs./ ltr as updated on June 24th, 2011, and might be subject to changes depending on the state)
Hyderabad -

Petrol - 70.70
Diesel - 44.33
I tanked up yesterday, and there was a surprise in store. After the excise duty reduction in crude by the govt. , the petrol in Hyderabad costs Rs. 70.64 per litre, a good 6 paisa less than the previous price.
Ah!! what a relief, I am feeling good.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:59   #2020
Senior - BHPian

^^^

I heard they reduced the price of diesel by Rs 0.37

That's gonna save people a hell lot of money and wont add up to more inflation.
Old 28th June 2011, 00:12   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
^^^

I heard they reduced the price of diesel by Rs 0.37

That's gonna save people a hell lot of money and wont add up to more inflation.

May be next the govt. will increase our income tax citing loss of revenue due to excise duty cuts (don't know whether to laugh or cry if they do that)
Old 30th June 2011, 20:07   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol, Diesel prices hiked again!

The government on Thursday hiked petrol and diesel prices by a marginal Rs 0.27 a litre and Rs 0.15 per litre respectively following increase in the commission paid to petrol pump dealers.

The government approved raising dealer's commission paid on petrol from Rs 1.218 per kilolitre to Rs 1,499 per kl, resulting in a Rs 0.27 per litre increase in retail price with effect from midnight tonight, an official said.

Similarly, the dealers' commission on diesel was hiked from Rs 757 per kl to Rs 912 per kl, resulting in a Rs 0.15 per litre increase in rates at retail level. Petrol, at present, is priced at Rs 63.37 per litre in Delhi and will cost Rs 63.64 per litre from Friday.

Diesel, whose rates had last week been hiked by Rs 3 a litre, will cost Rs 41.27 per litre instead of 41.12 a litre.

The official said the increase in dealers' commission is lower than 39.5 paisa hike recommended by an expert committee of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.

Similarly, the increase in commission on diesel too is lower than 17 paisa per litre increase suggested by the committee which was headed by Apurva Chandra, Joint Secretary (Marketing) in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.

SOURCE - Rediff
Old 30th June 2011, 20:26   #2023
BHPian

I tanked up today morning and diesel rate was 46.06 (in bangalore)
Old 1st July 2011, 20:20   #2024
BHPian

Goa Govt decreases fuel prices

Picked this up from the Herald newspaper (Panjim) on July 1, 2011.

Goa Govt decreases fuel prices

* Petrol cheaper by Rs 1.5 (from Rs 64.32 to Rs 62.82)
* Diesel cheaper by Rs 0.73 (from Rs 43.35 to Rs 42.62)

TEAM HERALD
PANJIM:
The Goa government on Thursday notified a decrease in the Value Added Tax on petroleum products giving much needed respite for the consumers from sky rocketing petrol and diesel prices.
Through a notification issued Thursday evening, government has reduced the VAT on petrol from 22 percent to 20 percent and diesel from 20 percent to 18 per cent. The notification has come into force from Thursday onwards.
Sources stated that reduction in VAT means that petrol would be cheaper by Rs 1.5 and diesel by 73 paise. Last week, the Central government had hiked kerosene by Rs 2 and diesel by Rs 3.
The rates of LPG cylinder would not come down as it is already exempted from VAT.

In June, fuel prices here in Goa were Rs 64.32 (petrol) and Rs 40.35 (diesel). The difference of nearly Rs 25 per litre between the two fuels made me wonder if I had made the right choice in opting for a petrol car (I10) in December 2010. For me, it's now a sigh of relief with the difference in the two fuels now reduced at about Rs 20.

Last edited by misquitas : 1st July 2011 at 20:32.
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:31   #2025
BHPian

Haal-e-dil bayan karti ye tasveer ..

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-iraq-water.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff :
Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
If images are in Vernacular, please provide a translation.

Last edited by bblost : 5th July 2011 at 12:06. Reason: Check Post.
Diesel lover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks