Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:07   #2836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

TOI reports.

Petrol prices may be cut by about Rs 1.60 per litre later this month as appreciation of rupee against the US dollar has helped state firms make profit on the fuel. Indian rupee appreciated to five-month high since the government announced allowing foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retailing. This has eased the cost of imports for oil firms, helping them make profit on sale of petrol.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/16655550.cms
Old 4th October 2012, 09:45   #2837
BHPian

Diesel prices set to rise by another Rs 5

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-...e1-938982.aspx
Old 5th October 2012, 17:53   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
TOI reports.

Petrol prices may be cut by about Rs 1.60 per litre later this month as appreciation of rupee against the US dollar has helped state firms make profit on the fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Diesel prices set to rise by another Rs 5
Ironic, but factual. This is what I call good news and bad news together in ONE post.

I'll cut it for now, and circle back in on the one question that I could not find a better thread for. With BS3 and BS4 selling together in these current times,

1. How do I identify if my vehicle is BS3/BS4 compliant? I've heard that all cars manufactured after April 1, 2010 must be BS4 compliant.

2. I fill ONLY at Shell pumps as far as possible. And just recently about 2 months ago, I learn that the VM road outlet sells BS4 while the Whitefield outlet sells BS3. And I usually fill from both these outlets. That means, my fuel tank currently has a mix of BS3 fuel and BS4 fuel. Is this ok?

3. If I were to go on a long trip or take the car to my hometown, I severely doubt the fellows at the filling station there would even know what I'm asking. RON? BS3? BS4?. How do I handle this situation? Suggestions?
(My last trip, the pump attendant responded saying "Sir, people just fill and go. They don't ask such kind of questions and we don't know the answer. But, cars like Mercedes, BMW fill Xtra Premium". He was polite and maybe it's just that I 'm too choosy about what I feed my baby.)

Last edited by mempheS.D : 5th October 2012 at 18:00.
Old 5th October 2012, 19:49   #2839
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

2. I fill ONLY at Shell pumps as far as possible. And just recently about 2 months ago, I learn that the VM road outlet sells BS4 while the Whitefield outlet sells BS3. And I usually fill from both these outlets. That means, my fuel tank currently has a mix of BS3 fuel and BS4 fuel. Is this ok?
How can you sell BS3 in Bengaluru? Something fishy here.

As for BS3 and 4 the RON is 91 for both. The main difference is the sulphur and Benzene content. My in laws are in Gwalior (BS3) while Kanpur and Lucknow are both BS4. I just do not care. I even topped up my Civic in Dabra, but from Essar!
Old 5th October 2012, 20:14   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Per archaic regulations, Whitefield is not part of city (same with HSR layout and beyond as well!). So, BS3 is okay there!
Old 6th October 2012, 14:23   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
You may not get the soot after some time, one the system recalibrates itself to the new diet. You may add System D once in a while. Why the additives became popular was that our fuel (esp Petrol) had a habit of gumming up the injectors. The number of stranded early Cielos is proof. However, quite some time ago they modified the refining process to take care of this. So I think it is more a matter of habit than logic.
Sir, The additives may not be necessary in current scenario as BS111 & BSIV Fuels take care of that aspect by adding Multi Function additives at the time of formulation. This is part of the spec and not a marketing stunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I don't understand why they are labeling these premium fuel as Branded? Are the normal Petrol and Diesel that we use is Unbranded?
They are called Branded, simply because they have been given flashy sounding names and were supposed to have higher qualities than normal Fuels. Like Branded Petrol was supposed to have Higher Octane 91 against normal BS1 & BS2, which was 87. Branded Diesel used to have a 'keep clean' dose of Additives against NIL for generic ones.

Quote:

As for BS3 and 4 the RON is 91 for both. The main difference is the sulphur and Benzene content. My in laws are in Gwalior (BS3) while Kanpur and Lucknow are both BS4. I just do not care. I even topped up my Civic in Dabra, but from Essar!
Sir, Even the Benzene content is same for BSII & IV. The difference is in Sulphur and other aromatics content, which is the prime culprit for gumming up of injectors and soot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
A interesting article about the fuel prices, losses and under-recoveries.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16505973.cms

ofcourse, it creates more confusion than it actually clears, but worth a read
Please refer to my other post #166at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-diesels.html. There I have pasted an Excel sheet which gives detailed break up of Petrol & Diesel prices at Bengaluru.
Old 6th October 2012, 14:58   #2842
BHPian

I just checked out this post. Apart from the Vehicles lot of Economics, Finance is going on, good that my primary field has come up. So, will go through the entire post before posting so that I can participate in a better way.
Old 7th October 2012, 10:31   #2843
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71A View Post
The additives may not be necessary in current scenario as BS111 & BSIV Fuels take care of that aspect by adding Multi Function additives at the time of formulation. This is part of the spec and not a marketing stunt.
What you say maybe true. In fact I think with the switch to BS3 (or was it 2) the refining process was changed to reduce gumming. However, my own experience is that occasional addition of System G does seem to help. Maybe it is more due to unofficial additives in the pump petrol!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 14:02   #2844
BHPian

Yesterday, observed a BP pump displaying petrol price as 71.xx! Was in a rush, so couldn't probe more.
Has the government surreptitiously reduced the price of petrol or oil marketing cos. have some leeway in setting price or was it display error?
Old 8th October 2012, 21:42   #2845
BHPian

Petrol price cut by measly 56 paise. To cost Rs. 67.90 (Delhi). Effective from Midnight.

Link:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16725937.cms
Old 8th October 2012, 22:13   #2846
BHPian

Price in Kolkata is now under 75.5 but how much will that matter! I think they should have decreased the price by at least Rs. 2.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:30   #2847
Senior - BHPian

so the balance has gone as dealer commission i suppose
Old 8th October 2012, 22:58   #2848
BHPian

Petrol price slash by 56 paise. Power is Rs. 87.26/- & normal is 75.5 now in Kolkata...
Old 9th October 2012, 08:45   #2849
Senior - BHPian

Thats a marginal price drop in the petrol price, I thought the drop is going to be atleast by a rupee or so. I guess the consurmers have to be content with whatever amount of price fall.

Then whatever happened to the reports about fuel price increase post govt conceding to the dealer's agitation for commission hike?
Old 9th October 2012, 08:53   #2850
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Petrol price cut by measly 56 paise
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Then whatever happened to the reports about fuel price increase post govt conceding to the dealer's agitation for commission hike?
I had read couple of days ago about a marginal increase in Petrol price to take care of the dealer commission so is this now taken care of (Maybe that's why the decrease is only 56 paise ?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks