Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 22:47   #3061
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Petrol is now cheaper than Diesel in Goa! Goa has become the first state where the price of the two fuels have balanced out. See the details in Autocar: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/343...el-in-goa.aspx
This was already reported here 4 days back.
Old 16th May 2013, 00:33   #3062
BHPian

Just got to hear that the prices of petrol are going to be hiked by a rupee in Goa. Our joy is short lived. Petrol no more cheaper than Diesel even in Goa.
Old 16th May 2013, 09:29   #3063
BANNED

Is it Goa only or across the land. A revision was due on the 15th.
Old 16th May 2013, 09:53   #3064
Senior - BHPian

^^^AFAIK they no longer do revisions on the 1st or 15th like earlier, due to issues with dealers predicting the increase and putting stock-out signs the day/night before.

Regarding the possible hike, fuel price hikes apply all across India, not a specific state. If hike is only in Goa, then it has to be the state Govt. increasing the tax on petrol, which I doubt they would do because they had de-taxed petrol as promised in their election manifesto and I doubt they would reverse that decision now.
Old 16th May 2013, 19:55   #3065
BHPian

Deregulation Drama!

A quick comparo of local petrol & diesel prices from their peak last year vs now:

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-dpp.jpg

With two petrols cars in my garage, I am one happy camper!

Sure felt good to refuel my Honda City @ 62.43 this week

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-ppr.jpg
vikash49 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 20:28   #3066
BANNED

Here in Punjab, the difference between the two fuels has decreased but still a wide one as compared to some of the neighboring areas like Delhi.

Petrol : 70.11 Rupees/L
Diesel: 50.2 Rupees/L

Earlier, the difference went as high as 28 Bucks!!

No prizes for guessing, Punjab loves Diesel SUV's. Don't think the EcoBoost is going to change that.
But I am still looking at it!
Old 27th May 2013, 19:57   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Here in Punjab, the difference between the two fuels has decreased but still a wide one as compared to some of the neighboring areas like Delhi.

Petrol : 70.11 Rupees/L
Diesel: 50.2 Rupees/L

Earlier, the difference went as high as 28 Bucks!!

No prizes for guessing, Punjab loves Diesel SUV's. Don't think the EcoBoost is going to change that.
But I am still looking at it!
For bigger vehicles, Diesel is the only option we have. I cant even imagine how much FE will petrol XUV500 or a Fortuner return.

The whole equation looks debatable when it comes to small cars. We have been hearing about sub 1ltr Diesel engines and I feel all that comes under question mark. Because these small cars anyway return 12-13kmpl for petrol and 15-16 for diesel(not much diff)

I pity Tata again. Nano is sinking and by the time they come out with Diesel Nano.. There wont be any market left for Small diesel cars
Old 27th May 2013, 20:34   #3068
BHPian

[quote=rajshenoy;3133055]For bigger vehicles, Diesel is the only option we have.

Yes, you said it right rajshenoy!. Diesel is the fuel option we can have for big vehicles like SUVs and MUVs. As you said, its very true that we can't even think of a petrol Innova or an XUV. But I have seen some petrol Innovas in mumbai though!.
By the way the fresh fuel price in Mumbai are:-
Petrol: Rs.71.24/liter
Diesel: Its close to Rs.58/litre.
Old 27th May 2013, 21:12   #3069
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Petrol prices should be decreasing in my opinion. Two days back saw Shell selling petrol at 69.xx while normal HP/BP/etc petrol pumps were selling it at 71.xx. All pumps within Pune city limits.
Old 27th May 2013, 22:28   #3070
Senior - BHPian

The price of petrol in mumbai had gone down to 69.79 a couple of weeks ago.When i went back to the petrol pump this sat to fill petrol in my 800 i found the price was raised to more than 71rs.Has the petrol price been raised quitely in mumbai?
Old 28th May 2013, 08:50   #3071
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
For bigger vehicles, Diesel is the only option we have. I cant even imagine how much FE will petrol XUV500 or a Fortuner return.
I meant that the Low Diesel price is also a major factor contributing to high popularity of these SUV's

If you equalize the prices for petrol and diesel, the sales numbers for these could very well come crashing down and help the petrol Sedans.

Last edited by agambhandari : 28th May 2013 at 08:55.
Old 28th May 2013, 09:52   #3072
BANNED

Quote:
If you equalize the prices for petrol and diesel, the sales numbers for these could very well come crashing down and help the petrol Sedans.
What is the current buying / booking scenario for Goa?
Old 28th May 2013, 10:19   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant that the Low Diesel price is also a major factor contributing to high popularity of these SUV's

May be true because SUV running cost was similar to a premium petrol hatch until diesel prices increased. But those who look at Butch SUV are unlikely to transition into tiny Hatchbacks.

However, I feel all the small diesel car plans will get washed out. Yet to be launched i10 diesel, WagonR diesel, Tata Nano diesel will hardly have buyers because these small cars return decent figures in petrol itself and even more economical with LPG/CNG etc.

It is these small cars and to some extent the premium hatchbacks where we should see more petrol cars being sold over diesel. Similar observation for sub 10 lakh sedans too.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:27   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
who look at Butch SUV are unlikely to transition into tiny Hatchbacks.
I second you rajshenoy. Very unlikely to find someone struggling to decide between a Hatchback and an SUV. Majority of SUV buyers have one valid reasons on the buy like
  • Rural terrain drives a regular need
  • A bigger family
  • Weekend getaways
  • Road presence
Having a UV in my stable still I drive my dad's Alto when I am into city or small commutes due to ease. I do not believe equalizing Diesel and Petrol price would just improve the sales of small cars. May be the Petrol version sales get a boost in Hatchbacks and sedans compared to their diesel variant which is around a lakh more expensive in most cases.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 10:34   #3075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^ Petrol prices should be decreasing in my opinion. Two days back saw Shell selling petrol at 69.xx while normal HP/BP/etc petrol pumps were selling it at 71.xx. All pumps within Pune city limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The price of petrol in mumbai had gone down to 69.79 a couple of weeks ago.When i went back to the petrol pump this sat to fill petrol in my 800 i found the price was raised to more than 71rs.Has the petrol price been raised quitely in mumbai?

The petrol price in Pune for HP was 71.xx and Bharat Petroleum was 67.xx. Maybe because of this price difference BP has increased the price back to 69.xx. I say this because, i filled petrol from them last week and it was 67.xx and now it is 69.xx.

Most Viewed