Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 17:31   #4351
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

The petrol price in Trivandrum is 'supposed to be' Rs 67.89 per liter, but I see higher amounts in many bunks. Recently I filled from a bunk at Rs 67.93 per liter (and even had an argument with the attendant). How to get this corrected (other than using the contacts at the bunk)?
Old 9th December 2014, 17:40   #4352
Senior - BHPian

KL right? Call for a bandh

Meanwhile, check prices here

http://www.mypetrolprice.com/35/Petr...-in-Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
How to get this corrected (other than using the contacts at the bunk)?
Old 9th December 2014, 17:49   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
The petrol price in Trivandrum is 'supposed to be' Rs 67.89 per liter, but I see higher amounts in many bunks. Recently I filled from a bunk at Rs 67.93 per liter (and even had an argument with the attendant). How to get this corrected (other than using the contacts at the bunk)?
After decontrol of Petrol, you'll find a small difference in the prices between the state oil companies.

Check for the prices for Indian Oil here: http://www.iocl.com/Products/Gasoline.aspx and so on.
Old 9th December 2014, 17:58   #4354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
After decontrol of Petrol, you'll find a small difference in the prices between the state oil companies.
But how is this possible? I thought State oil companies would have uniform pricing throughout a city.
Old 9th December 2014, 18:06   #4355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But how is this possible? I thought State oil companies would have uniform pricing throughout a city.
Quote:
IIRC this was done as the OMC's were accused of cartelization as they all hiked rates by the exact same amount at the exact same time when they are supposed to be independently run companies. These small differences are to counter this allegation !
Old 9th December 2014, 19:07   #4356
Team-BHP Support

It isn't always a minor difference either. On a recent road trip, I filled up at an IOCL outlet en-route to Malegaon (MH) for 69.xx/ltr. The BP bunk a few hundred meters down the road was retailing petrol at 72.xx. I do agree it's just the fake 'we're not a cartel' hogwash.
Old 9th December 2014, 19:43   #4357
BHPian

In addition to the price of the fuel, equally important is the quantity and quality of the fuel. Most of the pumps cheat the consumers on this account in connivance with the people who are entrusted to keep check. There are many videos where only air is pumped out and the fuel meter goes on ticking. I try to stick to one or two pumps based on the fuel average i am getting for the vehicle. Even on highways, i try to stick to few pumps. One good indicator on highway pump is the number of trucks lined up for re-fuelling. On the price front, i wish government passes on the benefit to the end consumers.
Old 9th December 2014, 20:19   #4358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
In addition to the price of the fuel, equally important is the quantity and quality of the fuel. Most of the pumps cheat the consumers on this account in connivance with the people who are entrusted to keep check. There are many videos where only air is pumped out and the fuel meter goes on ticking. I try to stick to one or two pumps based on the fuel average i am getting for the vehicle. Even on highways, i try to stick to few pumps. One good indicator on highway pump is the number of trucks lined up for re-fuelling. On the price front, i wish government passes on the benefit to the end consumers.
Cheating by pumps is an altogether separate issue. The vend has to sell as per the parent oil co. official price.
Old 9th December 2014, 22:05   #4359
Senior - BHPian

The price difference between the state run companies is limited to a max of 30-40 paise. The three rupee difference should be on account of 'Speed' branded fuel being sold at the BP vend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It isn't always a minor difference either. On a recent road trip, I filled up at an IOCL outlet en-route to Malegaon (MH) for 69.xx/ltr. The BP bunk a few hundred meters down the road was retailing petrol at 72.xx. I do agree it's just the fake 'we're not a cartel' hogwash.

Lined up trucks are a good indicator indeed but only for those in need of Black fuel. For petrol vehicles it is just another round of Russian Roulette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Even on highways, i try to stick to few pumps. One good indicator on highway pump is the number of trucks lined up for re-fuelling.
Old 12th December 2014, 00:58   #4360
BHPian

may I ask, historically what was the price of petrol / diesel in ₹ terms when crude oil was around $64 ....
Old 12th December 2014, 10:03   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
may I ask, historically what was the price of petrol / diesel in ₹ terms when crude oil was around $64 ....

Last time crude was at range of $60-70 was around June 2009 (Source: http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/crude-...x?timeframe=6y). Petrol at that time was in range of ₹48-52 (Source: http://www.mypetrolprice.com/3/Petro...0&LocationId=3)
Old 12th December 2014, 10:55   #4362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Last time crude was at range of $60-70 was around June 2009, Petrol at that time was in range of ₹48-52
I think the comparison of retail petrol price vs crude prices in India in previous years, while interesting, isn't relevant as the retail fuel was subsidized back then.
Old 12th December 2014, 10:59   #4363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Last time crude was at range of $60-70 was around June 2009 (Source: http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/crude-...x?timeframe=6y). Petrol at that time was in range of ₹48-52 (Source: http://www.mypetrolprice.com/3/Petro...0&LocationId=3)
We also need to take into account that Rs Vs $ was around 48 at that time which is currently at 62 Rs per $. Considering that the current Petrol price should be in range of 60-62 Rs per liter in Mumbai.
Old 12th December 2014, 22:12   #4364
Senior - BHPian

Oil hits lowest in more than 5 years at $63 on supply glut. Let's see what the govt plans to do in a couple of days.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/45492682.cms
Old 12th December 2014, 22:35   #4365
BHPian

I read in news today that Oil prices and tobacco prices will come under GST and almost agreement has been reached between Center and States.

Will this mean that uniform tax will be levied on petrol/diesel throughout the country? No extra taxes will be levied by the states?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks