Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 15:01   #4576
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Telengana govt increases VAT..so the entire reduction is prices is gobbled by the increase in VAT..so no price change for the end consumer. Why can't the state govt. specify VAT in terms of absolute numbers rather than percentages? Won't it be easier for budgeting and managing the state finances?
All these tactics by the central and state govts are making this deregulation sound like a joke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@adimicra; VAT is normally specified as a percentage, since it is levied on an ad valorem basis. A flat rate cannot achieve that.
Here is the link to the full article by TOI

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45926774.cms

Quote:
HYDERABAD: The Telangana government has increased the value added tax on petrol and diesel in the state effectively nullifying the price reduction announced by oil companies on Friday.

With an increase of Rs 2 of VAT per litre on petrol and diesel, these two fuels will now cost Rs 66.49 and Rs. 54.58 per litre respectively. Had the state government not increased the VAT, the price would have been Rs. 64.37 for a litre of petrol and Rs. 52.57 per litre of diesel.

For the past few months, the state government has been hit by reduced revenues from the sale of petrol and diesel with the periodic fall in the base price of the fuels. Telangana imposes 31% of the base price as VAT on a litre of petrol and 22.25% VAT on a litre of diesel. To this, the government, through an order issued late on Friday, added Rs 2 for both fuels effectively resulting in increased fuel prices in the state.

While the VAT increase will hit the consumers directly, it is also not expected to rake in the kind of revenue the state government is hoping to accrue from the VAT hike. The general secretary of Greater Hyderabad Petrol and Diesel Dealers Association PC Goyal said on Saturday that the state government does not appear to realize that 35 per cent of vehicular movement in the state is cross-state traffic - vehicles entering Telangana from Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh.
Old 19th January 2015, 16:07   #4577
Senior - BHPian

RIL to re-open all 1400 petrol pumps in a year

God bless competition.

Source:
Old 19th January 2015, 17:39   #4578
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
RIL to re-open all 1400 petrol pumps in a year
God bless competition.
Somewhere people were quoting genuine competitio n may cut fuel prices by may be up to ₹4. I doubt it.

Incidentally, what is the current price of ATF?
Old 19th January 2015, 18:36   #4579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Somewhere people were quoting genuine competition may cut fuel prices by may be up to 4. I doubt it.
Competition could be in terms of(keeping fuel price same)
  • Customer satisfaction
  • Having more market share
  • Better services
  • Fuel quality
  • Small food store
  • Better restroom
In today's time intangible benefits are more important which are points of difference from your competition.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 21:08   #4580
Senior - BHPian

Equating to Indian Rupee, the Pakistani currency works out to 1.63 pakistani rupees for every Indian rupee.

Thus current petrol price in Pakistan is 78.58 PKR which comes to 48.07 Indian Rupee/ltr.

And this is a country that is bankrupt in every way possible, they sell petrol for Rs. 48

Indian joe public has been scammed in a big way in name of deregulation. Ideally this scam should never have been called deregulation.

Incredulation .. is a better name.
Old 19th January 2015, 21:10   #4581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Equating to Indian Rupee, the Pakistani currency works out to 1.63 pakistani rupees for every Indian rupee.

Thus current petrol price in Pakistan is 78.58 PKR which comes to 48.07 Indian Rupee/ltr.

And this is a country that is bankrupt in every way possible, they sell petrol for Rs. 48

Indian joe public has been scammed in a big way in name of deregulation. Ideally this scam should never have been called deregulation.

Incredulation .. is a better name.

So, what do you suggest?
Should India follow Pakistan and become bankrupt?

By the way, Pakistan has run out of petrol..Not sure if that's a situation we want to land up in.

Last edited by adimicra : 19th January 2015 at 21:11.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 21:27   #4582
Distinguished - BHPian

Also doesn't Pakistan get cheaper oil from Iran and Saudi? I think I heard it somewhere.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 21:50   #4583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Competition could be in terms of(keeping fuel price same)
  • Customer satisfaction
  • Having more market share
  • Better services
  • Fuel quality
  • Small food store
  • Better restroom
In today's time intangible benefits are more important which are points of difference from your competition.
+1

Though the prices might remain roughly the same across the vendors, the customers will be the net beneficiaries from the competition. Since diesel was deregulated, I have found myself seeking out Shell outlets for filling diesel, even if I have to go out of my usual route a bit. This is purely because of the better service, courteous staff, good layout, and quality of fuel. That was always the case with Shell, but with deregulation making their prices competitive, it should force the PSU/third-party pumps to up their quality and service standards without which they will lose customers en masse.
Old 20th January 2015, 13:15   #4584
BHPian

Faced with falling revenues from their favorite cash cow, it's only a matter of time before all state governments start following the center & start raising the VAT on petrol.

Today they claim that they're being forced to surreptitiously raise taxes as revenues have taken a hit. When the fuel prices rise again in the future, does anybody believe that they'll remove/reduce these taxes?

We are being conned by the governments. The salaried taxpayer has to grin & bear it.

We in India pay 1st world prices for 3rd world facilities. Living in Karnataka, I wonder where all my tax money goes. The roads are horrible, electricity situation is terrible. Housing is unaffordable due to the illicit black money of politicians & corrupt government officials. The Netas & corrupt officials are getting fatter everyday while a salaried person like me finds it difficult to provide for my family a decent life with all the additional taxes & raised expenses.

We as a country are a basket case. No wonder everyone who doesn't belong to the elite class wants to get out of this place.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 13:39   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also doesn't Pakistan get cheaper oil from Iran and Saudi? I think I heard it somewhere.
Being active in the Online Community, don't believe in any such rumors unless it's authentic. These are baseless rumors. When it comes to Country to Country agreements, No country in this world has favored another Country based on Religion or some other reasons. But Yes, Iran can supply Pakistan at a cheaper rate because of it's demographics. It's a neighboring country and they can lay a pipeline directly.

Iran did give concession to India, When US and other Countries had imposed sanctions on it. Iran even agreed to accept payments in Indian Rupees (First time in the History for India). We could've saved scarce Foreign Exchange and our Currency would've become stronger by at least 20%. But India (then UPA was governing) declined the offer under pressure from US.

If there can be any concessional agreement between Countries, it has to come from US and no other Country can influence. Even India, doesn't do any favors for neighboring countries in the form of Discounts. It'll be in some other form.

Last edited by jaaz : 20th January 2015 at 13:44.
Old 20th January 2015, 13:53   #4586
Senior - BHPian

I confirmed that petrol is Rs. 66.xx in Pune. Not sure when it got reduced from Rs. 69.15.

So, some benefits are being passed to the consumer.
Has there been any effect of this price reduction on your travel plans?
Old 20th January 2015, 14:04   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
So, what do you suggest?
Should India follow Pakistan and become bankrupt?
Pakistan is definitely Bankrupt, but not the People. People there hardly pay taxes. Prices are low because of low taxes. Currently landing cost for India is also less than Rs. 30/-. So, Rs. 48/- is a reasonable price including Taxes.

Indians do pay Taxes promptly and much better than our Neighbors, but the problem is with the Politicians. The Law makers are the Law breakers. We don't mind paying taxes, if it comes back to us in the form of social security, infrastructure etc., But the saddest part in India is that every Rupee, we pay, we get back less than 15 paisa as returns. The rest goes to Corrupt Indian Citizens.

[b]
Quote:
By the way, Pakistan has run out of petrol..Not sure if that's a situation we want to land up in.
Yes, you're right. Don't worry, Pakistan is at least 30-40 years behind India. India can never collapse like some of the other countries, including European countries. If you remove the Defense capability of US, India is much more stronger in terms of Economy. When India can manage with only 15-20% of it's revenues, then imagine what will happen, when every Indian Citizen becomes honest. (Shun corruption)

Last edited by jaaz : 20th January 2015 at 14:06.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:08   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I confirmed that petrol is Rs. 66.xx in Pune. Not sure when it got reduced from Rs. 69.15.

So, some benefits are being passed to the consumer.
Has there been any effect of this price reduction on your travel plans?
Lowest I have seen is in Hinjewadi phase 2 BP petrol pump which is
Rs. 64.XX

After a long time my i20 mileage cost is pegged to Rs. 4 per km

Last edited by athanedar : 20th January 2015 at 14:09.
Old 22nd January 2015, 01:46   #4589
BHPian

Report from NDTV :-

Perhaps for the first time, petrol in India costs more than the superior aviation turbine fuel (ATF) or jet fuel used in airplanes, as the government has levied a record excise duty on the fuel used in two-wheelers and cars.

A litre of petrol in Delhi costs Rs 58.91 per litre. On the other hand, ATF, which has a higher octane than petrol and is a heavier fraction in the distillation process, is priced at Rs 52.42 a litre.

After four duty hikes totalling Rs 7.75 per litre, petrol now attracts the highest ever excise rate of Rs 16.95 per litre.

This is exactly, What we were debating all along. Guys, do we've access to Jet Fuel?? We can tank up Jet Fuel & burn the Roads.....
Old 22nd January 2015, 03:46   #4590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Report from NDTV :-

Perhaps for the first time, petrol in India costs more than the superior aviation turbine fuel (ATF) or jet fuel used in airplanes, as the government has levied a record excise duty on the fuel used in two-wheelers and cars.

A litre of petrol in Delhi costs Rs 58.91 per litre. On the other hand, ATF, which has a higher octane than petrol and is a heavier fraction in the distillation process, is priced at Rs 52.42 a litre.

After four duty hikes totalling Rs 7.75 per litre, petrol now attracts the highest ever excise rate of Rs 16.95 per litre.

This is exactly, What we were debating all along. Guys, do we've access to Jet Fuel?? We can tank up Jet Fuel & burn the Roads.....
Entire report is BS. ATF or Jet Fuel is nothing but refined kerosene. They have mixed up ATF with Avgas, which is a higher octane petrol meant for piston propeller engines.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed