Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 09:12   #4741
BANNED

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Taxes is the answer. Petrol is taxed more than diesel, hence the lesser cut and the higher increase when compared with diesel.
Taxation is almost all ad valorem, ie as a percentage on the price, so for Petrol when the increase is higher so should be the decrease.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 12:37   #4742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Taxation is almost all ad valorem, ie as a percentage on the price, so for Petrol when the increase is higher so should be the decrease.
That is incorrect. Dealer margins and central govt. taxes are fixed. See this:

https://www.iocl.com/Products/PriceB..._15April15.pdf

https://www.iocl.com/Products/PriceB..._15April15.pdf

From the links, it is clear that the landed cost of petrol (used to calculate prices, even if crude is refined locally) and the refinery transfer price for petrol is actually cheaper than diesel. The whopper is the higher fixed excise rate -- Rs. 17.46 vs 10.25 -- with fixed dealer commissions the difference is almost double.

Last edited by StarScream : 17th April 2015 at 12:42.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 19:02   #4743
JD1
BHPian

Looks like Reliance is opening all its outlets by March 2016-
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0N908O20150418
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 09:05   #4744
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Looks like Reliance is opening all its outlets by March 2016-
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0N908O20150418
Even though the nearest is at least 10km away, I rejoice at this news. Better petrol, proper measurement. Also, their cafeterias will hopefully also open.

More important the PSU OMCs will see a whiff of competition.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th April 2015 at 09:06.
Old 19th April 2015, 09:11   #4745
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
That is incorrect. Dealer margins and central govt. taxes are fixed. See this:...............
.......Rs. 17.46 vs 10.25 -- with fixed dealer commissions the difference is almost double.
Hello Starscream,

Thanks for this useful nugget! I always wondered at the rationale for the difference between the prices - now the fog has lifted!

Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 22:26   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a news flash on Times app, petrol hiked by 3.96 Rs and diesel by 2.37 Rs.

Edit :- Found link to same.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cur...7_1372834.html

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th April 2015 at 22:27.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 23:28   #4747
BHPian

Just saw the the newsflash my NDTV app as well. That's a big price increase, I sure am glad I tanked up this evening!
Old 1st May 2015, 00:16   #4748
BHPian

Fuel price hiked again!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/47113283.cms

What a farce. When it comes to cutting price its in paise but when it comes to hikes it is done generously!
shekhar_gogoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 00:40   #4749
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Oh, wow! What a sickening, disgusting and nauseating "wow" indeed!

So the last two cuts in fuel prices were by 80p & 130p, and before that by 49p & 121p for petrol & diesel respectively. And now, when the prices rise, they go up by 396p for petrol and 237p for diesel. How is this fair or ethical? Fair & ethical are simply unimaginable terms for the vile PSU oil mafia, how is this even explainable, other than by the undeclared motto of the PSU cabal - Punish petrol users as hard as possible (since they never raise their voice), in order to reward the various diesel lobbies (as they are prone to issuing rabid threats at the drop of a hat).

This is a big, massive fail on the part of this government. Either the-powers-that-be are so completely ignorant about the functioning of the PSU cartel that they cannot see such an obvious, simple and deliberate pattern to artificially skew fuel prices in favour of diesel and against petrol, or the PSU cabal are merely carrying out orders from their political bosses. Either way, it screams fail!

This just strengthens my belief that in immature Third World democracies like ours, every party happens to be made of the same core stuff, with superficial differences in names and ideologies. The system is rotten to the core as the underlying force that powers the system never changes. And that is, tax the productive as hard as possible in order to splurge on the freeloaders, crush the law-abiding folks with ever more draconian laws while simultaneously encouraging outlaws to become laws unto themselves, and numerous other similar rotten stuff.

When banks unleash their collection goons on a responsible citizen who is late with his/her tiny monthly loan payment by a single day, but simultaneously suck up to big defaulters who have absolutely no intention of paying back their mammoth debts, it is this principle at work. It is this same principle that makes the oil cabal keep widening the already big price gap between petrol (which is sold in far less quantities and which emits minuscule & negligible amounts of PM) and diesel (which is sold in much greater amounts and which belches out carcinogenic PM by the truckload) with each fortnightly price change, even if both the fuels have been proudly "de-regulated".

Yep, all governments are virtually the same, since they have shown that they work on the same formula. Party/coalition A may say, "Our principle is to add 2 and 2 and 1, multiply it by 1 ten times, and subtract 5, so that the citizens get the best result." Party/coalition B will say, "That's nothing compared to our principle, as we believe in adding 5 and 5, multiplying it by 5, multiplying it by 1, multiplying it by 2, multiplying it by 1 again, and subtracting the square of 10, so that the country & each individual citizen get a mighty unimaginable result."

And the circus goes on and on. The tragedy of the lowly Third World. It would be comic if it weren't so disgusting.

Last edited by RSR : 1st May 2015 at 01:01.
RSR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 00:56   #4750
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW is there any logic currently in differential increases in the process of petrol and diesel? Since both fuels are deregulated on paper atleast.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 01:19   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Oh, wow! What a sickening, disgusting and nauseating "wow" indeed! mad:
+1 on that. This is absolutely unbelievable. Such a steep increase in price is going to put a lot of us in difficult times. With this increase, there will be a simultaneous increase in prices of other commodities and services as well (bus fares, air fares, food items etc.). Where are we heading to? I guess it's time I swithched over and bought my self a battery driven car.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 01:44   #4752
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I guess it's time I swithched over and bought my self a battery driven car.
The sad thing is, there is only 1 electric car in the market now, and the e2o, while being a good car in its own right, isn't practical enough for many.

I wish Renault-Nissan would locally produce highly practical electric cars like the Leaf and Zoe in India. Even if they were to be priced higher than hatchbacks of similar size, they would kick off a welcome shift towards Zero Emission cars.

Why all-electrics? Even plug-in/series hybrids with a 30 ~ 40 km battery range (with the engine kicking in to act as an on-board generator for the motor after that) would sell like hot cakes, and reduce dependence on the PSU cabal.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 09:55   #4753
BANNED

Now let the states roll back the VAT hikes, and the Centre the Excise hike! I agree, the rise is steep but not unexpected.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 10:37   #4754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now let the states roll back the VAT hikes, and the Centre the Excise hike! I agree, the rise is steep but not unexpected.
Roll back? Never. Ours is greediest Govt. under the sun. Every morning they rise start thinking of new ways of looting public. And did you notice, petrol price is reduced less but increased more. A class IV student can also see through their rotten schemes.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 11:36   #4755
Distinguished - BHPian

Can the reluctance in promoting the development of hybrid cars in India have its roots based on the fear that the revenue generation through fuel sale will fall as more and more people will start opting for these cars and move away from the current cars?
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks