Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 22:22   #4786
BANNED

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Speed 97 is at ₹83.xx in Delhi.
It's going to skyrocket to a price when it's just not affordable.
Using additives works out cheaper now.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 17th May 2015 at 22:24.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:29   #4787
BHPian

IMHO it looks more of OMCs'(oil marketing companies) trying to average their losses which they have incurred during August 2014-February 2015 period due to the reductions driven by drop in crude prices. From what I understand, the inventory losses were very huge during that period. Also, we are still 12-13 rupees adrift from the high of March 2014. So, like in all business, the law of averages does catch up at sometime.

Needless to say, I am not in the favor of these hikes and personally I feel the question that needs to be asked is what happens to all that money which is collected in the name of various taxes on petroleum products. If the same is spent responsibly then I feel the pressures to tap the taxes on petroleum products will ease considerably.

Nevertheless, this is just a short burst and overall the prices of petrol and diesel is bound to come down again after June. Global analysts have predicted the price of Brent crude(which is what India buys) to hover around the 58-62 dollar band. Also, the elections in Bihar announced during the months of August/September will add its magic to the pricing.

Cheers
Old 18th May 2015, 19:24   #4788
BHPian

Guys, I filled up petrol in Wayanad yesterday for Rs 73.95 per liter. This is more than Bangalore's price, and made me curious. I saw the following prices as of May 17th:

Bangalore: 72.94 Rs/Ltr
Trivandrum: 74.4 Rs/Ltr
Hyderabad: 74.73 Rs/Ltr
Mumbai: 74.12 Rs/Ltr

Seems like Bangalore is not even amongst the top 5 mostly costly places for petrol. Is the above data correct?
Old 18th May 2015, 23:41   #4789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Guys, I filled up petrol in Wayanad yesterday for Rs 73.95 per liter. This is more than Bangalore's price, and made me curious. I saw the following prices as of May 17th:

Seems like Bangalore is not even amongst the top 5 mostly costly places for petrol. Is the above data correct?
Correctness of data notwithstanding, the fuel prices do vary depending upon various factors.
Old 19th May 2015, 09:26   #4790
BHPian

I am appalled at the way some people are trying to justify the irrational hike. Anything to support their favourable governemnts, I suppose.

It is a no brainer. Govt kept raising taxes when crude price was falling, passing only meagre benefits to us. When that was happening, the same people here claimed that the govt was doing so to provide us with a cushion when crude prices rise. Now when crude prices went up, the govt is not ready to reduce the tax.

They literally took us for a ride, and here we are trying desperately to find justifications.

Pathetic!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th May 2015 at 15:58. Reason: abusive language whether directly or indirectly is not permitted. Thanks.
blacksport is offline   (11) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th May 2015, 09:44   #4791
BHPian

Quote:

You are correct.

The petrol prices in Kerala was ~5 Rs less than Bangalore rates an year ago. Govt. of Kerala has silently increased the taxes on fuel to recover the revenue losses from Liquor Ban. It is a sad state of affairs currently.
Old 19th May 2015, 09:58   #4792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Back in 2011, I remember there used to be a difference of Rs 5 between KA and TN and close to Rs 6 between KA and KL.

Now among the 4 southern states, TN is the cheapest.
Old 19th May 2015, 12:06   #4793
BHPian

Given that crude (Brent) is still below $70 while the price we pay at the pump has risen to (previous) $100 levels, I shudder to think how much we'd be paying once Brent actually crosses $100 and moves towards it's old highs of $110-$130.
hellmet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 12:12   #4794
Senior - BHPian

Any knows how much Speed is selling for in Bangalore?
Old 19th May 2015, 12:24   #4795
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Given that crude (Brent) is still below $70 while the price we pay at the pump has risen to (previous) $100 levels, I shudder to think how much we'd be paying once Brent actually crosses $100 and moves towards it's old highs of $110-$130.
Exactly my thoughts.

Petrol will cost a similar figure as that of crude price in dollars - ie, if crude is at $100, petrol will be at Rs 100. And Diesel will be at (Petrol - Rs 15) level. The govt will not use any of the cushion amount in favour of the people - they are 'money hungry'.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:53   #4796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I am appalled at the way some people are trying to justify the irrational hike. Anything to support their favourable governemnts, I suppose.

It is a no brainer. Govt kept raising taxes when crude price was falling, passing only meagre benefits to us. When that was happening, the same people here claimed that the govt was doing so to provide us with a cushion when crude prices rise. Now when crude prices went up, the govt is not ready to reduce the tax.

They literally showed us the middle finger, and here we are trying desperately to find justifications.

Pathetic!
Hi Blacksport

Let me start with the point that I agree totally with your anguish/irritation and I just like others am bearing the brunt of policy indifference since long but would like to remind you that one of forum rules states not to start any sensitive discussions. So, to say few of the members are favoring the present Government by their analysis would not be just.

Secondly, for the fact, any Government since the last 50 years has done little to the betterment of the common man which in this case is you and all of us. Most of us know that successive Governments, may it be State or Central, have played with the pricing of petrol and diesel to fill the Government coffers and the same does not get used where it needs to be. IMHO it is a double waste. In fact, it is just not the middle finger but they have been enjoying us totally for long.

Thirdly, we need to do more than just talking to see a noticeable difference in the overall administration and governance of any elected body, and which makes me remember the famous quote of a great historian Mahatma Gandhi "BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD". Until then, all our irritations and frustrations would just be pushed to mere chatter during our smoking and drinking breaks

Cheers
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:23   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is more than Bangalore's price, and made me curious. I saw the following prices as of May 17th:

On Sunday 17th May, I filled regular petrol at a BP bunk for Rs. 73.12 / ltr. This rate is same amongst all bunks, from prior experience.

B'lore prices were the highest in India for fuel, but with the info you've posted about Hy'bad and Mumbai prices, looks like that has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Hi Blacksport,

Thirdly, we need to do more than just talking to see a noticeable difference in the overall administration and governance of any elected body, and which makes me remember the famous quote of a great historian Mahatma Gandhi "BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD". Until then, all our irritations and frustrations would just be pushed to mere chatter during our smoking and drinking breaks

Cheers
This 'be the change you want to see in the world' statement has been overhyped and beaten to death in India. People who have stood up to be a change, have only been taken down quickly. IAS officers standing up for making a change. Dead or moved. Police constable standing up for truth and change. Now dead. Nothing really happens when people stand up for change (in most cases). In a country like India where corruption is soo deep rooted that to maintain it, people don't think twice to kill and/or do worse, I think standing up to the right things only puts ones life to RISK.

Another thing in India is people will only say 'be the change you want to see', 'stand up for the right'. Follow it and you will find that you'll be standing Alone. (IMO) enough of this bs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I think T-Bhp will be the first motoring site where we will be discussing bullock carts as a counter strategy. But seriously, it scares me too to think of the price levels Petrol will reach, when brent crude prices will go close to or exceed $100 a barrel (specially when my next car may continue to be powered by a petrol engine) . If my memory serves right, I think the highest I paid last year was just under र 81.

Last edited by k_ajay : 19th May 2015 at 14:47. Reason: Adding a response to hellmet's post.
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 15:45   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
This 'be the change you want to see in the world' statement has been overhyped and beaten to death in India. People who have stood up to be a change, have only been taken down quickly. IAS officers standing up for making a change. Dead or moved. Police constable standing up for truth and change. Now dead. Nothing really happens when people stand up for change (in most cases). In a country like India where corruption is soo deep rooted that to maintain it, people don't think twice to kill and/or do worse, I think standing up to the right things only puts ones life to RISK.
The unique thing is that "be the change" really implies that the person believes in the power of anarchy!
How?

Simple - ask them what is the most important purpose of Govt?
Or rather, why Govt's came into being.
And ... What is it doing in India?

But the funny thing is that the same person will shudder to think about anarchist world without functioning Govts.
Old 19th May 2015, 17:09   #4799
Senior - BHPian

For a change from all these rants, i welcome the government's steps to increasing the price of fuel. Thanks NDA and UPA(the monthly 50 paise hike).

The vicious cycle of {road width, traffic intensity, pollution} is making us unsustainable, thanks to EGR valve bypassed love making. But then it would be very nice if we say no to these fossil fuels by choice rather than by compulsion.

Heck the below equation itself is scary:

Population of India now + Population of US now= population of India in 2040.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:15   #4800
Senior - BHPian

Markets have tumbled and the rupee breached 64 today. Get prepared for another hike.

Achhe din have finally come I guess .
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed