Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2021, 23:05   #7231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

And the moment we thought some relief was in sight, it goes for a toss.
You must be a very optimistic man to expect relief from the fuel prices !! Jokes apart, the fuel prices were hiked 34 times during the last two months. I am yet to come to terms with the fact that someone in the decision making process didn't thought of reducing the tax component even once during a time when a pandemic is raging and a large number of populace is still trying to make a living

Fuel stations are scurrying to upgrade dispensers to display three digit figures because they too didn't anticipate prices rising so fast and that says something. Overall prices of every commodity has gone up manifold and we have a pandemic to take care off as well. It's a double whammy and I guess we have to endure everything apart from finding ways to not get infected and just live !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 18:45   #7232
Senior - BHPian

Petrol has crossed the Rs 100- litre mark in Delhi, joins Mumbai (Rs 106.25), Chennai (Rs 101.06) & Kolkata (Rs 100.23). Diesel getting there too – Rs 97.09 a litre in Mumbai.

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-20210707_184333.jpg

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-20210707_184335.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:45   #7233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme View Post
but market forces driving prices does not consider our incomes... Europian country also needs to buy a barell for $57 as India...just remember our current prices are still subsidized...imagine when all subsidy will vanish
As far as I know, there is no subsidy. On the contrary there's 265% tax on fuel in India!
firstguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:30   #7234
BHPian

SUBSIDY???
For purchasing 35rs/barrel and selling for 105!
shebin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:58   #7235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme View Post
but market forces driving prices does not consider our incomes... Europian country also needs to buy a barell for $57 as India...just remember our current prices are still subsidized...imagine when all subsidy will vanish
I don't think they're subsidized at all. Zero is the amount of subsidy being provided. No need to imagine. We are facing the reality.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 19:08   #7236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
As far as I know, there is no subsidy. On the contrary there's 265% tax on fuel in India!
You have quoted an old post dating circa 2005
I feel petrol prices will moderate in coming weeks with advent of new Minister Hardeepji.

Contrary to popular perception, the ever increasing petrol prices hasn't affected drastically anyone atleast in NCR.

P.S
I must admire government for keeping key food item of wheat, rice, onion, potato within acceptable price limits despite fuel price hikes.
Old 8th July 2021, 19:15   #7237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post

Contrary to popular perception, the ever increasing petrol prices hasn't affected drastically anyone atleast in NCR.
I'd like to see the citation for that.
N.A.GTC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 19:45   #7238
BHPian

Quote:

P.S
I must admire government for keeping key food item of wheat, rice, onion, potato within acceptable price limits despite fuel price hikes.
Where do I sign up for the other list- 'the drastically affected ones'? You'll have atleast one then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Of course Fuel in India is still subsidized.

The Govt first taxes the fuel at around 150% of base rate. The taxman has to be paid first. Then the dealer commission is next. Finally the cost price is given to the OMCs.

This cost price is lower than the production costs and thus the OMCs claim an under recovery. That is the sum total of the subsidy. The govt is protecting us consumers from the OMCs which want to work a profitable business by making us pay more.
Can we have the source for this information?

Last edited by batish : 8th July 2021 at 19:50.
batish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 19:48   #7239
Senior - BHPian

The Govt first taxes the fuel at around 150% of base rate. The taxman has to be paid first. Then the dealer commission is next. Finally the cost price is given to the OMCs.

This cost price is lower than the production costs and thus the OMCs claim an under recovery. That is the sum total of the subsidy. The govt is protecting us consumers from the OMCs which want to work a profitable business by making us pay more.
Old 8th July 2021, 21:17   #7240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
I'd like to see the citation for that.
You can't have citation for visibly observable things. Anyway I have quoted an indirect citation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.econo...w/81140729.cms
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 21:33   #7241
BHPian

Even as fuel cost fell by more than 5%, we see no respite in India. The whole "we adjust the fuel prices daily based on cost" argument is really starting to feel like a facade now.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...04921-amp.html

Quote:

With all due respect, this makes no sense. The base rate on which we pay the tax is the production cost. The dealer commission is fixed by the govt and is currently less than 5% of the per litre price which consumers pay. Clearly, the tax is the largest component. To whom is the government paying any subsidy then?

As far as I know, there are subsidies on LPG and Kerosene, but no subsidies right now for diesel or petrol.

Last edited by pavanmadhini : 8th July 2021 at 21:38. Reason: Missed replying to a previous post.
pavanmadhini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:07   #7242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If the OMC’s are under recovering, how come their balance sheets remain oblivious to the same fact ? Also, you are saying that the government is protecting the consumers, so why wasn’t the prices were reduced when oil fell to an historic low of 1$ per barrel ??

Also, the prices of subsidised LPG is at a record high and I don’t remember the last time people getting the subsidy in their bank accounts either !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 8th July 2021 at 22:09.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 11:47   #7243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S
Sir, without knowing your income, assets, liabilities & priorities; and comparing with mine/ others, "hasn't affected drastically" & "acceptable price limits" cannot be judged.

Quote:
You can't have citation for visibly observable things. Anyway I have quoted an indirect citation.

This is classic case of reading headlines out-of-context.

You missed the very important line from the article, which summarizes the whole discussion.

Quote:
While passenger vehicles do not see much dampening in demand in the short term, it is two wheeler sales that is being hurt as the price conscious buyer is staying away, experts said.
Even for passenger cars, as per my friends in automotive industry, the foremost reason for such increase in demand is personal safety (fear of COVID). Also, lack/ limitations of public transport (trains, buses, metros) is another factor. So, people who can afford/ stretch to spend are doing so under fear. While I say this, I do not mean the 8~9 Lakh + segment (ex-showroom) as vehicles above B2 segment form only smaller share of sales.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 9th July 2021 at 12:02.
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 12:46   #7244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Even for passenger cars, as per my friends in automotive industry, the foremost reason for such increase in demand is personal safety (fear of COVID). Also, lack/ limitations of public transport (trains, buses, metros) is another factor. So, people who can afford/ stretch to spend are doing so under fear. While I say this, I do not mean the 8~9 Lakh + segment (ex-showroom) as vehicles above B2 segment form only smaller share of sales.
Rather than hearsay, you may believe more in the following article. It made prediction in Apr 2020 and by June 2021, we are seeing prediction coming true.

Source : Reuters
Date : 16-Apr-2020

Quote:
China’s coronavirus past is fuelling hope for global automakers. Car sales in the People’s Republic got a boost during the 2003 SARS outbreak, as commuters avoided public transit and purchased personal vehicles for the first time. That same psychology could soon play out in markets where car ownership is low, and perhaps elsewhere.

India’s $20 billion Maruti Suzuki sees a potential lift in demand when the dust from Covid-19 settles. “If buyers become apprehensive of sharing space with another passenger it will increase demand for vehicles,” R.C. Bhargava, chairman of the country’s largest carmaker, told Bloomberg in comments published this week.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 17:56   #7245
BHPian

Quote:

You can have citations for visibly observable things - that's literally how scientific method works. What you have on the other hand is anecdotal evidence, which (a) contradicts the experience of other people who have commented here, including me (again, anecdotal); and (b) does not hold good for the reasons mentioned by AutoNoob.
N.A.GTC is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks