Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 20:06   #751
BHPian

Quote:
The last option is Shell who wont participate in strikes or anything but will sell petrol for Rs.72+.
I think this is looting the public, arab contries say there is no shortage of supply, then why on earth is fuel getting costlier, the one think I know is in every distress, some people make the most of the situation, and I guess this is what is happening in Chennai at the moment, I surprised the government is not interferring to rectify the situation.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:16   #752
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
Guys after so many days of filling normal petrol, the HP club pump tells me only power is there, and it is 4 rs more than normal petrol, thats cheating the public, we should have the right to choose
HP pumps also employ another tactic to sell more expensive gas. If you go to a fuel station late night / early morning (say between 0200-0700 hours), the operator will claim that only premium machine is working, the others are off and only the malik/manager can start the other machines.

They know that anyone refuelling at this time might be a little desperate if not on their way during travel, so people end up buying the more expensive fuel.

I have seen this tactic being employed routinely at HP stations only, not so much at IOC or BP.

Old 30th June 2008, 23:01   #753
BHPian

Today in Chennai it was total confusion and chaos. Almost all of the petrol bunk that i crossed was closed. There were huge queue and traffic. I even saw people standing in long queue with diesel can to get diesel . I don't why !

Is there any announcement on price hike? or is it due to the lorry strike that has been called for?
Old 1st July 2008, 02:02   #754
BHPian

the chaos at chennai is due to the lorry strike. as it is chennai has been facing a shortage of regular unleaded petrol and normal diesel over the past week. and with the lorry strikes absolute shortage is perceived,
Old 1st July 2008, 06:30   #755
BHPian

yup. almost all bunks in chennai have no stock (or thats what they say). On my morning walk could see vehicles in a long queue at 5 A.M. Already black marketers are making a kill.

hope today does not turn out to be a panic situation
Old 1st July 2008, 13:46   #756
BHPian

This is mad stuff. 1st they increase price and then , they want to stop normal fuel, and now no stock, god knows where is this country going..
Old 1st July 2008, 14:38   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
This is mad stuff. 1st they increase price and then , they want to stop normal fuel, and now no stock, god knows where is this country going..
All this inspite of we being (assume most of us on this thread are) prompt tax payers... guess who is making the kill? the ones who don't!

I'm guessing the Nano will be cheaper to run than a Reva... guess how? its gonna be bullock-powered (a 5 litre, massive 1 tonne engine block)
Old 1st July 2008, 14:43   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
If the govt feels diesel cars are more polluting then why would they increase petrol prices by 17 rs !!!? They are just forcing people to switch to diesel.

India needs some good hybrids, like AS-freakin-AP !!!
but affordable hybrids, the civic costs a tad less than twice its gas sibling - now what VFM would it give and who would buy that?

Also to add, India needs practical & again affordable electric cars - not a funny REVA!
Old 1st July 2008, 16:12   #759
BHPian

Things got out of hand in chennai with the Diesel supply getting over in many bunks even from saturday.. and the situation got worse on monday will all the bunks in the city and the suburbs running out of diesel and even petrol. News spread fast and there was panic buying by yesterday evening with people queing up for miles in a few bunks that still had stock left(only petrol and no diesel) and many had no choice but to turn to shell which was selling @67 per litre of diesel.

Strangely there seemed to be no action from the govt regarding this rationing. If this had continued for a day or two more, everything would have come to a standstill in chennai. But luckily things seemed to improve this morning, with large queues at the bunks (which means they got fresh stock) and things should settle down in a day or two.

Also some bunks were selling normal petrol under the name of preimium petrol and were caught. But there will be many more bunks out there who still cheat people this way.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:27   #760
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading this in some magazines.

Oil prices are fixed based on demand. It said that the demand in India is artificial because, govt provides subsidiary and hence people dont feel the actual price hikes. So they use it more carelessly. If the actual price is tranfered to people, then the usage will drop and demand will also drop. Which will bring down the price. So, if this is true, there are no signs of oil price comming down.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:40   #761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Oil prices are fixed based on demand. It said that the demand in India is artificial because, govt provides subsidiary and hence people dont feel the actual price hikes. So they use it more carelessly. If the actual price is tranfered to people, then the usage will drop and demand will also drop. Which will bring down the price. So, if this is true, there are no signs of oil price comming down.

and was the name of the author by any chance:
An Uninformed Stupid Idiot.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:51   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
and was the name of the author by any chance:
An Uninformed Stupid Idiot.
Hopefully this will help
IndianExpress.com ::Idea Exchange :: ‘We are not here to do free business’
Old 1st July 2008, 21:01   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
not sure about petrol, I put diesel in chennai yesterday. Shell was the only option since there was rationing and none of the pumps had diesel stock. it cost me Rs.66 per L of diesel in shell yesterday!!
Yesterday my friend filled petrol in Shell, surprise to know that the Petrol & Diesel costs the same, it's 66.
In chennai there is shortage of petrol. Last week people wanted to provide normal petrol because the oil company circulated only Premium to get more profit. But for the past 2 days most of the petrol pumps were closed due to unavailability of petrol & diesel. Now people are in queue to get either Normal/Premium. Also there was a huge queue even in Shell, today I have to join the queue to fill petrol.
Old 1st July 2008, 21:20   #764
BHPian

After all the hoop hullah i today had to go to refill my tank and i go to onesame pump for past 15 yr s ,here the traffic was less which made me wonder why was it so the reason was simple they did nt have regular petrol and were selling only additive petrol incase of HP it s called power no time to argue and discuss i just asked for full tank and later realised the price charged was {mumbai} 59.04 per litre now can some one put some light on that price !! is there a diffrence of 3odd rupees between regualar and additives petrol ? becoz i remember regular petrol being 55.40 odd ruees per litre ?
REgaRds
saajan
Old 1st July 2008, 21:28   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

there is NO SUBSIDY OF OIL IN INDIA.

how many times will it take for people like you to understand this simple fact. Just because some news channel spin sarkari agenda day and night, you need not swallow such stuff blindly.

the Govt is offering a small subsidy after recovering Cost Price + Hefty Profit .. what it means in short is a trader giving you a one rupee stamp on every Rs. 100 sale he makes and he gets Rs. 15 as profit.

Most Viewed