Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 07:51   #7681
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
See fuel prices of other countries here maybe it brings peace to some of you.
Sorry Boss. No peace for me or for anyone here for sure.
Reporting from the Southern Hemisphere. I assume the price list you shared was in USD.

The price for a liter of petrol today in Wellington, New Zealand is $2.64. The current forecast is suggesting the price will hit $3.00 by Christmas. We are all in the same boat.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd November 2021 at 07:58.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 07:54   #7682
Senior - BHPian

With the insane fuel prices, I feel car manufacturers should employ Yellow, Green lines too on the tacho, not just the redline alone. Red lining have become a taboo of sorts these days

As a symbolic mark of protest, Team BHP tagline can be changed to Greenlining the Indian Automotive Scene for a week
Bibendum90949 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:18   #7683
Senior - BHPian

The worst thing one can do is continue the norm with the hope fuel prices come down soon. Even if the Govt. has an unlikely change of heart, international crude prices will continue to head higher.

People need start considering alternatives.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:30   #7684
Senior - BHPian

@mods: Please delete if against forum rules.

An auto driver saw it coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I do remember reading that UK uses colored diesel for commercial vehicles and you will end up paying a heavy fine if they check for it in your car. Not sure how true/effective it has been in the field.
I think you are referring to agricultural diesel which is subsidized in the US, UK etc. There were steep penalties if you were caught driving road legal vehicles running the agricultural diesel.
landcruiser123 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:28   #7685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I just cannot understand how we got here! I mean, how come there hasn’t been much of resistance from trade unions and transport companies? It’s just unreal pricing, which in turn pushes the prices of all essentials!
You need someone on the other side to listen and answer back if you protest on something! That's not happening from past few protests that we saw. And even before politicians label protestors of something, our own people are tagging them with some heavy terms and as someone said, it's like a mob culture on social networks nowadays. There are people whose sole job is to spread hatred and create bots that spam any meaningful post nowadays, take a look at any random YouTube video with fuel prices. This trend is a huge problem even in developed nation nowadays!

P.S - Said in general observation on current global trend, not just us.

Last edited by saikarthik : 3rd November 2021 at 09:32.
saikarthik is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:54   #7686
BHPian

My father and uncle run transport business for past 45yrs, mostly local and intra state.
Since many years we used to absorb the effect of increased fuel prices mainly by reducing our margins and marginally increasing the freight charges, not possible anymore, finally transporters have bitten the bullet and started raising prices substantially, even our clients now understand it.

Another change happening is lot of transporters now disposing Diesel vehicles and switching to CNG vehicles for intra-city transport, Tata Ace Gold CNG and Maruti Suzuki Super Carry CNG being the main beneficiary's.

Having few relatives in Central govt. and Defense forces and what i hear from them I can say a lot of work is happening and happening at a fast pace not seen earlier but what's happening now in the name of Fuel price rise is nothing less then Day Light Robbery

The govt. needs to find a better way to increase revenue generation. this price rise is effecting consumer sentiments, people have started closing their pockets which in-turn can lead to a -ve spiral and reduce spending leading to even lesser tax generation.

A big tax break or a booster needs to be given such that it aligns with the upcoming wedding season and hopefully bring some cheer to the market.

Last edited by Gaur : 3rd November 2021 at 10:01.
Gaur is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:19   #7687
BHPian

I hope the government does something irrespective of the political party, the rising fuel prices affect every one directly or indirectly. Fuel prices will start to pinch more when we (I) start to commute to office when WFM ends.
arvishnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:24   #7688
BHPian

While we all are discussing about rising petrol and diesel prices, looks like someone(CNG) is silently inching up and is trying to break the Rs.100/- barrier

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/87500392.cms
alexpaul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:34   #7689
Senior - BHPian

No increase in last 2 days.

Can I be hopeful the upward trend has stabilized or
is this the lull before storm
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-screenshot_20211103113218_chrome.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:48   #7690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How exactly is the state bearing the fruit of the union excise taxes? Out of the 33 Rs of Union Excise taxes, the states gets around 60 Paise. The remaining 32.60 Rs is kept by the Union Govt.
I am not talking about the centre excise duties, but the VAT levied by states on fuel. As far as I understood, state VAT is calculated on the sum of price charged to the dealers + the central excise duty + dealer commission. So an increase in excise duty will naturally convert to higher tax income for the state as well. Being said that the culprit ultimately is the exorbitant tax levied by the centre. The centre excise duty was around 5% back in 2014 which increased by 300% or so up until now
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:03   #7691
BHPian

On a lighter vein, have you started observing your own driving style change due to the increased fuel prices?
I, for one, haven't used Sport mode for a LONG time now. RIP Sport mode.
Also, I used to be eager to close gaps and used to strategize and overtake traffic on single lane roads. Now, I don't give a damn anymore. My driving style has relaxed, so has my blood pressure, when I encounter imbeciles on the road. My dad used to hate sitting in the front when I drove; now, he is relatively more agitated than I am.
I'm contemplating yanking out the V6 and keeping it for my future generations to see and marvel.
bhargav2015 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:14   #7692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Gracchus : I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar.
Bread & Circus.
Still works wonders!
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:31   #7693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav2015 View Post
On a lighter vein, have you started observing your own driving style change due to the increased fuel prices?
My current car (diesel) is almost six years old. I was looking for replacement but with the current situation of fuel pricing, I have decided to postpone the purchase of new car as long as it requires. What is the benefit of paying any more GST + Road Tax? A friend suggested to invest the money that I suppose to spend as Road Tax on a high dividend paying PSU oil company and use the dividend to buy fuel and the idea does not seem to be bad

Last edited by airbus : 3rd November 2021 at 12:49. Reason: Minor update.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 13:09   #7694
BHPian

I travelled from Pune to Punjab crossing states of Gujarat and Rajasthan.

Petrol prices in RJ - ₹117/L . Reliance bunk between Ajmer and Kishangarh
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-24612f58de4245398f7ec7d9d320612f.jpeg

Petrol prices in GJ - ₹109/L. Shell on nh48 just after crossing Surat.
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-96a4fba4824d4e17bb7c3eda90680da2.jpeg

In Punjab, it’s 111/L for Reliance. Variance in price is huge.
Many dealers in bordering areas of Rajasthan are on strike since people prefer to cross border and fill up tank in Punjab.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 13:19   #7695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I am not talking about the centre excise duties, but the VAT levied by states on fuel. As far as I understood, state VAT is calculated on the sum of price charged to the dealers + the central excise duty + dealer commission. So an increase in excise duty will naturally convert to higher tax income for the state as well. Being said that the culprit ultimately is the exorbitant tax levied by the centre. The centre excise duty was around 5% back in 2014 which increased by 300% or so up until now
One of the prime reasons why the states are reluctant to reduce their share of taxes from the fuel bill is because the center now gets to keep maximum share of taxes. The central excise has been kept at a certain level and the rest of the taxes are being collected under separate head of special excise taxes and road cess component which are not being shared with the states.

So the amount of VAT collection is still less since as you rightly said, it is calculated on the excise numbers. But since the rest of the tax amount is under a separate head, the states gets a minuscule amount even if the price increases. All in all, the central kitty is overflowing while the states are yet to get their allocated share from GST and some blame the states for not reducing prices of fuels !!

Central excise has not increased by 300% as you believe but the total tax component has. The catch lies in the bi furcation of taxes as I mentioned above. Not many people know this and hence are not aware of the exact dynamics of fuel price rise and equally blame the states while that’s not true. Of course, states can still reduce their share but they have very limited options anyways and that’s another topic all together.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks