Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 21:36   #766
Team-BHP Support

lurker: the example is very kind to the Govt.

petrol that costs 25 is being sold to you for 56 instead of 58.
with the Govt claiming great credit for the 2rs subsidy they are giving.
Old 2nd July 2008, 06:27   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
there is NO SUBSIDY OF OIL IN INDIA.

how many times will it take for people like you to understand this simple fact. Just because some news channel spin sarkari agenda day and night, you need not swallow such stuff blindly.

the Govt is offering a small subsidy after recovering Cost Price + Hefty Profit .. what it means in short is a trader giving you a one rupee stamp on every Rs. 100 sale he makes and he gets Rs. 15 as profit.
If i am right, the petrol and diesel processing is almost same and cost of refining is also same. Then why is it Diesel so less than the petrol.

Same with Kerosene & LPG. So, its like they take from one portion of crowd and provide it to other portion. People buying petrol may not be getting subsidy clearly, but look at other products.

Probably when more private players come in and sell all products at actual price, then we will realise if it was subsidysed or not.
Old 2nd July 2008, 21:15   #768
Senior - BHPian

I hope the fuel situation in Chennai is better now. I have enough petrol for another day or two.

The traffic snarls due to this availability (or lack of!!) issue is out of the world! Every major road that has a fuel pump had a traffic jam. When i went out early this morning, I could see people queuing up for fuel - as early as 6 AM!!!
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:25   #769
Senior - BHPian

So, seems its only going to rise and not come back.

Read on
The Hindu : International : Get used to high oil prices: Saudi King
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:42   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
So, seems its only going to rise and not come back.

Read on
The Hindu : International : Get used to high oil prices: Saudi King

Quote:
"Consuming countries should reduce taxes"
Quote:
"We have nothing to do with the sharp increase"
Quote:
"King asked the consumers to get used to rising prices as there were no chances of it going down"
Quote:
"Still cheap compared to alternative energy"
How I wish we (rest of the world) can find something better to beat the oil cartels :(
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:48   #771
Senior - BHPian

what is interesting is that he has not spoken a single word about curtailing speculation in western markets that directly aids fuel price rise.

But I guess he is only too keen to partaken the goodies that come in his way to kill the goose that lays him and his country golden eggs.

but in a sense he is right, it is not oil supply that is the problem.

Quote:
If i am right, the petrol and diesel processing is almost same and cost of refining is also same. Then why is it Diesel so less than the petrol.

Same with Kerosene & LPG. So, its like they take from one portion of crowd and provide it to other portion. People buying petrol may not be getting subsidy clearly, but look at other products.

Probably when more private players come in and sell all products at actual price, then we will realise if it was subsidysed or not.
No, they too will have to pay same taxes as the public sector and more.
So unless the tax structure is modified for private players you will never know.
Why don't you just do a search on this forum and check out the cost component of oil that the govt procures.
The taxes that it adds to this cost is a profit for the govt.
Then profit is added on to oil marketing companies which takes it to Cost + Superprofit.
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:10   #772
Senior - BHPian

Looted By Petrol Pump

hey all,

this is the latest technic being used by these Oil companies to sell their 'high octane' fuel and not the normal petrol.

I normally fill fuel at the HP petrol pump at worli (opp sasmira college). But after the price hike Rs 55. per litre HP is only selling their 'speed' fuel which costs 59.09. They claim they don't have normal petrol

Now considering these things

1) my bullet is a fuel guzzler, it doesn't give me more than 15 a litre
2) i have decent usage of the bullet approx 60 km a day.

the fuel hike has effected me considerably and again these people behaving like this is not helping.

is there a way i can take these guys to task. I really don't like being taken for a ride. Its very unethical of these 'corporate giants' to behave like that.

cheers,
ac
Old 4th July 2008, 07:42   #773
BHPian

Quote:
my bullet is a fuel guzzler, it doesn't give me more than 15 a litre
15 kmpl, on a bullet, don't you think it should give a little more than that, at 15 kmpl, you are better off driving a car.
Old 4th July 2008, 09:52   #774
BHPian

Just occured to me, what if the govt. is deliberately rationing the supply to cut the import deficit and weakening of the rupee (oops, US$ now in exchange fetches Rs. 43.5 and even a SG$ is ~Rs. 33)? I now see a lot of folks doing car pool, taking company shuttles/govt. buses, motor bikes to avoid the high gas price/inconvenience at gas stations...
Old 4th July 2008, 11:34   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
hey all,

this is the latest technic being used by these Oil companies to sell their 'high octane' fuel and not the normal petrol.

I normally fill fuel at the HP petrol pump at worli (opp sasmira college). But after the price hike Rs 55. per litre HP is only selling their 'speed' fuel which costs 59.09. They claim they don't have normal petrol
ac

In Chennai, for the past few days there has been an artificial shortage of fuel. People where ready to pay nearly 100 bucks a litre, before the shortage everybody were complaining about non availability of ordinary petrol.

Now situation has improved but only premium branded fuel available. No body is complaining now and are at least happy that they get fuel. Shell pumps are selling at nearly Rs72/- a litre (aprox) and they are doing brisk business now after there shut down.

Guess the oil companies might follow this tactic all over India.
Old 4th July 2008, 13:08   #776
Senior - BHPian

OPEC's are not the only cartels then! Looks like Our Oil Producing Companies (OOPC's) too are. And the government is our own OOPC's godfather!
Old 4th July 2008, 13:17   #777
Team-BHP Support

http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/_files/052008Masters.pdf
This is testimony given to US senate by a supposed "insider"
Old 11th July 2008, 18:53   #778
BHPian

I think we will have to brace for another rise in fuel price. Last time when the prices were raised, crude was close to USD $135. Today crude has touched a lifetime high of USD $147. God save us!
Old 11th July 2008, 20:27   #779
Senior - BHPian

There is something I have observed in my city, Vadodara.
The IOC petrol pump will first sell " Premium " fuel to everyone that comes.
Then if the " Premium " fuel gets over, the sale of normal fuel will start.

3 months ago, if I asked for the " Premium " fuel, they would say its not for bikes and if I went there in Maruti 800, they still will give me normal and not the " Premium " one.
But now for everyone and anyone who steps in the initial hours of morning, he will be offered " Premium " fuel. I fail to understand the logic behind this. I am experiencing no difference in the feel of the vehicles after filling in the " Premium " fuel.

Vadodara is still BS-II and not yet the BS-III as other major cities are ( and where this " Premium " only strategy was applied ).

Is it that this rule implemented all over the country silently ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 11th July 2008 at 20:28.
Old 11th July 2008, 22:54   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Nowadays after the fuel price hike most retailers are only keeping premium quality petrol and diesel in their filling stations at Nagpur. The company owned ones however keep unleaded fuel too.

Most Viewed