Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 10:53   #841
Senior - BHPian

I like the responses in all fuel threads - blah blah someone OPEC government, IOCs etyadi is responsible, not me/you and usual victim cribbing - why am I suffering.

Either increase earnings, or cut on other expenditure, or walk or cycle - cut costs.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:55   #842
Team-BHP Support

I would like to thank the Govt of India for increasing my monthly budget.
Old 13th August 2008, 12:07   #843
Senior - BHPian

So, are we expecting India with lot of automobile brands and sub-brands, but without enough petrol/diesel for average consumption ? Or is it an invitation to go back to the 1970-80s (cycles, bull-o-carts, cycle rikshaws, man-pulled-riks, horses, donkey/cow/bull carts etc.) with more affordable commutation ?

May be I have to rethink about my SUV plans and opt for a good breed horse (will it come within 5 laks !!??). Speedmiester aptly compared a horse to an SUV in the jokes thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/935910-post3106.html, now I find the connection (thanks to that member) ! I can manage a horse within the city and outskirts, but what about a family trip to 300+ kms ?

I hardly find any connection between the ruling government and the oil price as long as we import oil. So if the Govt hikes prices, its normal and in line with the international standards. But if the Govt doesnt hike prices due to the proximity to elections, then its going to be a sudden shock of hefty price hikes soon after that. So I would prefer a gradual hike (in line with our mental tuning to that) rather than a shocking and killing hike one fine morning !!

Last edited by shajufx : 13th August 2008 at 12:11.
Old 13th August 2008, 13:12   #844
Senior - BHPian

It seems fashionable nowadays for the well - heeled to talk about the removal of subsidies. So the Chaturvedi Committee may recommend hiking fuel price every month till the subsidies are totally removed. Can Mr. Chaturvedi guarantee the international crude price remains same till 2009/10? Or can he see the future?

Why not concentrate on phased reduction of taxation when the international crude price is on rise? Why not correct the anomaly of basing the cost to the current international levels even if the import at that price almost never happens and that 25 % of crude requirement for India is indigenously met at $55 per barrel no matter what the international price is?
Old 13th August 2008, 13:44   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I would like to thank the Govt of India for increasing my monthly budget.
I would like to thank the Government of USA for screwing the world economy, resulting in crash in Indian stock market, loss in my personal savings and income, as well as increasing my monthly budget.

These days, there is a limit to how much we can blame our government
Old 13th August 2008, 14:20   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, if we don't take the effort on our own, the best remedy the doc would suggest is a pill in the form of a huge price hike. That should help in removing mental blocks.
At what price per litre do you think we will start thinking different ? My guess is Rs.500 per litre. At a time when the monthly income is hovering around Rs.1-2 Lakhs, 50K per month for petrol would hurt, not 6k or 7k. Someone like me is not even in the equation here.
Old 13th August 2008, 14:32   #847
Senior - BHPian

@supremebaleno

Nice to see you having responded.

Would you be so kind as to respond to certain other points that you have left out.

# Better roads to cut down commuting time = save fuel
# Better traffic management = save fuel
# Tax payers money actually being spent on building good quality roads (where it should be) rather than....being squandered / siphoned off for the benefit of a few.

# Car pools not practical for business people, as it is never a 9-5 job situation
# Insistance on well maintained vehicles that do not waste fuel.
# Good quality fuel be made available, so as NOT to damage the environment & engines
# Stop wastage of fuel on needless running of Govt. Vehicles

IF the government wants to reign in the fuel bill of the country - they need to start with their own backyard.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 13th August 2008 at 14:49.
Old 13th August 2008, 14:33   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, if we don't take the effort on our own, the best remedy the doc would suggest is a pill in the form of a huge price hike. That should help in removing mental blocks.
Wasn't the last one a fairly big hike? Are you seeing any reduction in the volume of traffic on the roads - just curious because I'm really seeing no reduction here in the NCR?

Also, all that talk about "car pools" etc really doesn't translate into much reality because its one hell of a pain trying to match departure times from the Office (even assuming that getting there in a group is feasible).
Old 13th August 2008, 14:34   #849
BHPian

Regarding the diesel prices, the public transport corporation already have a separate bunk where they fill up their fuel, I am not sure whether they get this fuel lower than the market rate(good if they do).

So that leaves only the trucks that may need the subsidy to run economically without affecting inflation in the country. So, can't they provide separate diesel bunks only for trucks, where diesel is given at the subsidized rate and keep the general bunk's where private cars/suv's can fill up diesel at higher rates(nearer to petrol rates).

I know this sounds unfair, but the difference of rate between petrol and diesel is unfair too.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 13th August 2008 at 14:36.
Old 13th August 2008, 14:52   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
So, can't they provide separate diesel bunks only for trucks, where diesel is given at the subsidized rate and keep the general bunk's where private cars/suv's can fill up diesel at higher rates(nearer to petrol rates).
All our babus' cars & taxis will be lining up in this bunk illegally.
Old 13th August 2008, 14:53   #851
Senior - BHPian

It is a well known fact that subsidies Do not work on a long term basis. It is a Zero sum game. hence if the government subsidizes diesel on a long run will lead to severe inflation one way or the other.

The best thing to do is let the free market economy take over and the prices be decided based on the market. If we have to pay 100 Rs/lt of diesel so be it. This will lead to -

1. Reduction of Fuel guzzling, high polluting trucks on the road.
2. Alternate mode of transport of goods will be identified (trains/ Boats/highly efficient big trucks) etc.
3. Better logistics and distribution system will come in place
4. Newer fuels (Bio Diesel) would be produced in large quantities and Automobiles which use these fuels will be produced.

Overall humans/Indians will be forced to Invent. Like the old saying goes "Necessity is the Mother of Invention".

My Two cents.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:01   #852
Senior - BHPian

I just hope the hike in fuel prices is not sudden and huge. Such major hikes can result in triggering other problems due to panic
Old 13th August 2008, 15:07   #853
Team-BHP Support

I hope they raise the price by 50 Paise every weekend.

This way people will rush to the petrol bunks and save 15 Rs or so per tank full.

to make it more interesting they should raise it by 15 or 23 or 43 paise.
But no one should know what is the amount of hike this weekend.

They can setup up lotteries.
SMS the fuel hike this week and win 50/rs worth of petrol. SMS charges only RS 8 /-
Old 13th August 2008, 15:23   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably they can make Diesel on par with petrol and provide some Income Tax rebates for those commercial bodies.
Better way would be to leave the diesel cost subsidized and add a tax (negative subsidization) on Diesel passenger cars - either one time or annual.

Most people do not realize the Diesel vehicles emit SPM (suspended Particle Matter) which is extremely carcinogenic (causes cancer). These are much more toxic than the pollution caused by petrol engine. With improving diesel technology and increasing number of passenger cars going diesel way, it's not going to be a good sight.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:51   #855
Senior - BHPian

An interesting incident that happened with me this time when the fuel prices were increased by INR 5 in mumbai. I was getting back from work and wanted to refuel but was shocked to see that all petrol bunks had a 20-30 car long que. To my surprise this continued till midnight i am told, after which the price was hiked. AND THEN NO MORE QUES !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks