Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 13:12   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I thought I was clear that I have nothing against diesel users.
Sure could have fooled me considering that a large part of the last few pages of this thread are comprised of your reaction & responses to the proposed Diesel price cut

Quote:
BTW, what was that "What say and smiley" supposed to mean in the context of the quoted text ?
May be clearer if read continuously -
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well said, maybe people could also say the same about your ongoing rant on diesel users (private cars) -

What say
Old 27th February 2009, 13:23   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Sure could have fooled me considering that a large part of the last few pages of this thread are comprised of your reaction & responses to the proposed Diesel price cut
The way it is currently, it is perfectly legal to buy diesel cars and it's also legal to tank up on diesel even though it is subsidised. So diesel users are not really committing any crime to rant against them. If you look up your Fiesta-P thread, I had mentioned that given your high usage, a Fiesta-D would have been more appropriate. So, I don't think I have anything personal against diesel users.

And the solution I suggested was also not for raising diesel prices, but to bring petrol on par with diesel so that people differentiate between diesel and petrol cars solely based on their requirement and not because one fuel is cheaper.

For eg. a confirmed dieselhead like rippergeo might still stick to diesel cars because he likes certain characteristics of diesel engines. But people like him are a minority. The rest of the crowd would mostly choose petrol for obvious reasons.

And about the Merc thing, as said before what they are doing is not a crime or illegal, but something that can be avoided if the price parity was maintained.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:05   #1248
BANNED

Diesel is getting cheaper? Yay!
Old 27th February 2009, 14:48   #1249
BHPian

I am throughly enjoying my Dzire ZDi and the pleasure will multiply with another price reduction in diesel. Yipeeee!!
Old 27th February 2009, 16:13   #1250
Senior - BHPian

What !!! Diesel is getting cheaper again....?
I'm going to change the setting to +2..
Old 27th February 2009, 16:24   #1251
Senior - BHPian

When I see an open space on road I will not see the RPM.
Verna = Power.
Old 27th February 2009, 16:57   #1252
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Looks like they are not going to cut the price of diesel after all...

Government takes no decision on diesel price cut - India PRwire
Old 28th February 2009, 00:51   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had the same doubt and posted on some thread. If the diesel variant of a car costs substantially more than the equivalent petrol, is it because it takes more to manufacture the diesel variant ? I really don't think so - it is just that manufacturers price diesel variant at a premium because they know that the fuel being cheaper, people will not have any issue paying the premium because it can be recovered from the running costs.
Yes, diesels ARE more expensive to manufacture. They need stronger internals. Their injectors are much more sophisticated. Their fuel rails are much higher pressure. Their clutches are stronger. And please don't forget, most diesels also have a turbocharger and intercooler, which are also not cheap to manufacture. So don't think for one second that petrols and diesels cost the same to manufacture. You can check prices in the EU, where more than half the cars sold every year are diesel. A diesel car will be more expensive than a similar petrol car.

Quote:
If the diesel variant of a car costs substantially more than the equivalent petrol, is it because it takes more to manufacture the diesel variant ? I really don't think so - it is just that manufacturers price diesel variant at a premium because they know that the fuel being cheaper, people will not have any issue paying the premium because it can be recovered from the running costs. Let diesel and petrol be priced at same level and then let us see how many opt for the Indica-D or how many wait in line for months for the DDiS. I can bet that the majority won't buy the D variant even if priced same.
In the EU, over 50% of new cars every year are diesel. This, despite the fact that diesel is more expensive than petrol, and diesel cars are more expensive than petrol. The reason for this is simple -- diesel are easier to drive and offer more mileage. A Swift diesel offers a not-inconsequential 75 bhp and 19 kgm of torque. You can potter around at 2000 rpm all day, and hit a top speed of over 150 kmph on the highway. In town, Swift diesels with the AC on will still return over 15 kmpl, a figure not many 1+ tonne 1.3 litre petrol cars can match. This is why diesels sell. Add to this the fact that they are now 'greener' -- carbon emissions are lower than petrol cars so their tax brackets are lower.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:40   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Yes, diesels ARE more expensive to manufacture. They need stronger internals.
OK, so I stand corrected there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
diesel are easier to drive and offer more mileage. ...... This is why diesels sell.
While I agree with most of what you have to say about diesels, yours is a more technical explanation for advantage of diesel cars. But for the common man, while choosing between the petrol and diesel variants of a car, the only thing that drives him is "diesel is considerably cheaper than petrol". Which means fuel bills in the long run would be lighter on the wallet.
Old 28th February 2009, 15:38   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
While I agree with most of what you have to say about diesels, yours is a more technical explanation for advantage of diesel cars. But for the common man, while choosing between the petrol and diesel variants of a car, the only thing that drives him is "diesel is considerably cheaper than petrol". Which means fuel bills in the long run would be lighter on the wallet.
Which part of "diesel are easier to drive and offer more mileage" is technical?
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:55   #1256
Senior - BHPian

The part about 'most' people buying a diesel not for 'driveability', but MAINLY because diesel costs Rs15 or so less per litre than petrol. As far as they are concerned, driveability could be like a tank (not to be confused with the tanks from the 'F' stable), but as long as diesel is cheaper, they are OK.

And while I agree that for a litre of fuel, diesel returns more kms than petrol (which surely is a good thing), I have my reservations about the 'easier to drive' part attributed to diesel.

When v1p3r mentioned it, I did not contest the claim only because my diesel driving experience is limited to a 3-km TD in city traffic that I had on a Swift-D and the odd drive of the company Sumo. While the latter was nothing much to talk about, the Swift-D drive was too short to make any sense of.

All the good stuff he mentioned about diesels like pottering around at low rpms, good performance on highways etc is stuff I do on a daily basis on my Baleno - v1p3r would know what I am talking about since he has used a Baleno. And for that advantage, I do not need to go the diesel way, when I anyway get it with my petrol car.
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:34   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Anyway election dates announced so chances of another price cut is just rumour :( this is not good move keeping common man in mind.

I expected price cut between 3/- and 5/- on Diesel and Petrol. But now we need to wait for long time I guess and If its hung parliment this time GOD save us.

Ravi.
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:13   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the good stuff he mentioned about diesels like pottering around at low rpms, good performance on highways etc is stuff I do on a daily basis on my Baleno - v1p3r would know what I am talking about since he has used a Baleno. And for that advantage, I do not need to go the diesel way, when I anyway get it with my petrol car.
This bit is true. The Baleno is actually more responsive very low down in the torque range than a turbo-diesel. The Swift diesel has some slight turbo lag, as do all turbos, but the Baleno will produce useful torque from 1000 rpm and really get going from 1500 rpm. The same with the Ikon 1.6 and the Optra 1.8, which is why Rudra has never felt the Magnum diesel is worth trading his car in for.
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:34   #1259
BHPian

Hi all,

This thread needs to have a date in the title. Whenever someoneposts in this it goes to the top creating confusion.
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:45   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Anyway election dates announced so chances of another price cut is just rumour :( this is not good move keeping common man in mind.

I expected price cut between 3/- and 5/- on Diesel and Petrol. But now we need to wait for long time I guess and If its hung parliment this time GOD save us.

Ravi.
I think now they cannot reduce the price... Right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks