Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2005, 12:50   #121
Senior - BHPian

Another increase

Read a article in Economic times where the FM says that crude oil cost per barrel has shot up to $67 from $28. If this trend continues, the loss will be between 30000 cr to 40000 cr this fiscal. The only option to cope up with the situation is to increase the price of the petroleum products.

Oops; where it will end.

Is there any other alternative with you other than increase in prices
Old 23rd August 2005, 14:19   #122
Team-BHP Support

Two alternatives
1. Biodiesel
2. Electric cars
The govt of india(and other govts) do not push these hard because the refineries gain a lot from oil price increase. If india goes the electric way oil company lobby stands to loose. Shell of USA is buying new jet aircraft, and their profits are soaring. If the world moved to alternate energy sources, these companies would lose money. Since they are rich and powerful, their voice is heard. Only Japan is doing something worthwhile
Are you aware, that in japan the Reva is tax free and the govt gives a subsidy of 2600$. So if indian govt were to abolish taxes on reva and give subsidy it will sell for 75K only. But the govt is not going to reduce excise and taxes on electric vehicles because of the oil lobby. this story repeats in the USA also where oil lobby is very powerful.
For us indians its time to throw out the monkey sitting on FMs post and the donkey leading the nation should also go out alongwith. All these two have done is tax the middle class and appease the super rich and the super poor
Old 23rd August 2005, 14:21   #123
Senior - BHPian

:( .. prices will go up again by Rs. 2 / 3 /4

There is an option -- far fetched one ..

the government starts to better / optimally utilise the revenue they generate and hence keep in check or reduce the duty on fuel ..
Old 23rd August 2005, 14:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Other options are
1. Govt can cut duty and taxes on petroleum products, because as the rate goes up the %age tax on this amount also goes up. So the govt is making more money than they budgeted for from petroleum products. Obviously govt is happy to see more tax revenue coming in and is not willing to cut down on duties.
2. Since all crude is not imported, as the crude prices goes up companies extracting crude earn more profits (they sell crude at a higher price). Govt can redistribute this profit so that other oil companies do not make losses. But again this is a complex process and govt does not want to do it.
3. Increase the retail cost - this is the easiest option that govt sees, but it will have disasterous long term impact on economy. But here who cares about the long term.

Congress ka saath aam admi ke saath - haathi ke dant dikhane ke aur & khane ke aur
Old 23rd August 2005, 15:21   #125
BHPian

another option, let the ministers travel around in a bus, with all his guards in it, rather than going around in 10-15 ambis!

the Govt. has still not deployed GAS for public transport vehilcles in all cities! thats a must! that itself conumes a good amount of fuel!
Old 25th August 2005, 21:55   #126
BHPian

Best suggestion of all:

Sack half the govt and make the other half work twice as long... that way each of 'em will put in at least half a day's worth of work!

That should cut "overheads" by a sizeable chunk and maybe we would acutally end up with a surplus instead of a deficit!

Does anybody in here actually know how all our tax money is spent? (read "squandered")

- T u r b o C -
Old 25th August 2005, 23:01   #127
BHPian

Interesting news on the rising oil-prices in the US of A.

"Dealerships say sales of 2-wheelers are accelerating: "
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...siness/3324003
Old 19th April 2006, 15:07   #128
Team-BHP Support

I hate to be the one to revive this thread, but unfortunatley we may be in for a shocker soon.

IOC is looking for a price hike in petrol and diesel to the tune of Rs.5.6/litre & Rs.7.6/litre respectively.

IOC seeks price hike in Petrol/diesel - www.mid-day.com

Time to park the 400 and get myself a luna!
Old 19th April 2006, 15:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Damn!! How come the prices dont come down according to the world crude prices too?? And 5.6-7.6 is a fricking huge amount!!
Old 19th April 2006, 15:22   #130
Team-BHP Support

According to IOC, they are incuring losses of 2,500 crores a years with these prices! Maybe the Govt. needs to wake up and lower the taxes on fuel instead of consistency increasing the price of it.
Old 19th April 2006, 15:24   #131
Jay
BHPian

diesel increasing by 7.6 Rs/ litre, great... and i was thinking of giving off my santro and going for a diesel car.... i think i better buy a Reva... atleast current is cheaper compared to petrol/diesel.
Old 19th April 2006, 15:25   #132
Senior - BHPian

Considering the huge demand for Oil in India, how can IOC be making such huge losses while the international players are posting record profits? And you're right about the taxes.

a bit OT, but whats the inflation rate running at?
Old 19th April 2006, 15:29   #133
BANNED

DOH!!!
DOH!!!
DOH!!!
Makes me wanna CRY...
Old 19th April 2006, 16:04   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Time to park the 400 and get myself a luna!
Nice one, Rtech. But, I guess though most of us think like that, we would never get around to doing it. Sort of like when they raise the cigarette prices, smokers think of quitting. Driving/riding is also sort of addictive.
Way back in '85, when I started driving, a litre of petrol was less than 9 bucks and today is like 47.5 - an increase of 5 times in 20 years.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th April 2006 at 16:05.
Old 19th April 2006, 16:14   #135
BHPian

Guys,

have a look the 'crude oil prices' for last 60 years......and see how violently they changed during the 'iran revolution'/'gulf war'....

with 'iran-us nuclear dialog' not working out.....the probability of the price changes looms large.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...oil/html/5.stm

During arab-isreali war in 1973 the prices changed from $3 to $11

So in case of US attack on Iran do not be surprised to see petrol prices go up from rs.50/ltr to 200/ltr

Rtech plans to go for a luna.........i will look out for a 'chinese electric' scooter which are available at 30k and charge them at home every night.

Damn it ..... I will miss the Baleno AC

Most Viewed