Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 16:39   #1231
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@rippergeo : and it would also bring down the diesel car prices
Hey! Thats true! In that case, i can keep buying diesel into the next decade too! A small premium, I dont mind paying over petrol, just for that addictive torque.

Old 26th February 2009, 16:49   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That I understand, but you forget that petrol was overpriced in the first place. So should that not get a proportionately higher cut by simple logic ?

Exactly! I would have been happy if the cut was proportional, but it wasn't
Before Cut(bangalore prices)
Petrol => 57
Diesel => 39

So diesel was 39/57 = 69% of petrol

After price cut
Petrol => 46.28
Diesel => 34.8

And diesel became 34.8/46.28 = 75% of petrol

Now if diesel is reduced by 2 rs then
it will be 32.8/46.28 = 70% of petrol and the ratio would be maintained.

Had they cut diesel also by 3Rs and 3Rs in the first place they wouldn't have incurred the wrath of petrol users.
Well, All this is speculation until the news is confirmed.

Last edited by revhappy : 26th February 2009 at 17:03.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:14   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
If diesel price is made same as petrol, the price rise will be such that you won't have any money left to purchase fuel.
You seem to have completely missed my point. I did NOT suggest diesel price to be upped to that of petrol. I suggested petrol price be brought down to diesel level. I don't see how this leads to inflation etc.

And BTW, the best time to do this would be now when crude is trading at a real low price - petrocompanies won't be hurt by this reduction, which is also a factor to take into consideration - it is not good to have bleeding PSUs. There is a limit to how much they can be bled and anyway, if they are bleeding it is our money there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
In your excitement seems to me you overlooked that he could be saying that in humour (as i understand from his post).
Adding myself (a hyundai diesel user) to that long suffering list. Atlast some relief
Sorry, I still did not understand the Tata-Skoda-Hyundai link. Don't others have diesel cars ?

We have guys with no issues to shell upwards of 30L for a Merc, but again want it to be a diesel to save money on fuel ? And BTW, if you think you guys are suffering, even when diesel price is artificially kept low, I don't know what petrol guys should say who are paying higher to cross-subsidise your diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy
Exactly! I would have been happy if the cut was proportional, but it wasn't
Before Cut(bangalore prices)
Petrol => 57
Diesel => 39
Substitute the 39 in your calculation with 57 which should logically be the price of diesel and which is how it is all over the world and then let me know if you still feel shortchanged.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:53   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Petrol users should understand the fact that it is diesel which is used for carrying the daily goods we buy and use, therefore to tackle inflation its more apt to reduce diesel prices than petrol

yes I see alot of private diesel car owners already partying
Old 26th February 2009, 17:55   #1235
BHPian

saw in news today on NDTV that the diesel prices will further be dropped. however they dint comment on petrol prices.
Old 26th February 2009, 18:04   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Petrol users should understand the fact that it is diesel which is used for carrying the daily goods we buy and use, therefore to tackle inflation its more apt to reduce diesel prices than petrol
How about addressing the issue in a different way! Say no road tax/no service tax/no toll tax etc for goods carrying vehicle, but diesel being priced at actuals.

One problem I see is more kerosene getting into the system..and our 30+L Mercs making noises like that of vintage Tata trucks!

Edit: by the way, if diesel and petrol are priced at par, for diesel cars to sell, they will have to be priced at par with petrol cars, coz as of now, the only USP of diesel cars (as projected by manufacturers to general public) is lower running costs. I wonder how will it impact the diesel cars.
Q: Is that extra 70k-1.5L premium for a diesel car actually goes into giving advanced technology or is it just a premium?

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 26th February 2009 at 18:08.
Old 26th February 2009, 18:09   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Any confirmation for the diesel cut?
Old 26th February 2009, 18:12   #1238
BHPian

again in india, 2 wheeler is dominated which is again petrol and middle n lower middle class people transport, if they are considering something good for a comman man i think reduce petrol or make diesel and petrol in same price.
Old 26th February 2009, 18:25   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
again in india, 2 wheeler is dominated which is again petrol and middle n lower middle class people transport, if they are considering something good for a comman man i think reduce petrol or make diesel and petrol in same price.
Ya Right! and then everyone will stop using public transport and buy two wheelers and screw up the already messed up traffic in Bangalore
Old 26th February 2009, 18:43   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Hmm a just clarification of a jest

Quote:
Sorry, I still did not understand the Tata-Skoda-Hyundai link. Don't others have diesel cars ?
A huge majority of the cars sold by Tata are Diesels, same is the case with Skoda. Fiat too sells a substantial number of Diesel cars (and engines).

These three brands are perpetually being bashed here for their A.S.S. dealerships, etc. etc.

I hope you get the joke now - about the Government taking those posts seriously!

Cheers, Life is too short to take seriously.
Old 26th February 2009, 20:42   #1241
oss
BHPian

Shouldn't the govt increase the duty on the diesel cars. I can understand the transportation of goods at a subsidised diesel rate, but why should the petrol users subsidise a Octavia/Laura/Benz/BMW user and the taxi-walas?
Old 26th February 2009, 21:08   #1242
Senior - BHPian

It really doesnt matters to me if petrol reduces or diesel. Consumers will get benefit from it in one or another way. When petrol was reduced 10 and diesel 4 i didnt felt bad being a diesel owner as Petrol was already quiet costly. Lets not be biased as diesel or petrol owners.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:31   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy
See, the whole point is not about what fuel-car we drive or whether we should reduce price of this or that. It is about ensuring that a costly subsidy is not misused. Kerosene is heavily subsidised (more than diesel), but it is a very real need of the low-income group and I have no issues bearing that burden. But when you subsidise diesel, the good part is that the good-movers benefit. Bad part is someone able to afford a Merc also makes use of a subsidy which was not intended for him. Plus the fact that kerosene intended for the common man gets diverted for adulterating the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit
Is that extra 70k-1.5L premium for a diesel car actually goes into giving advanced technology or is it just a premium?
I had the same doubt and posted on some thread. If the diesel variant of a car costs substantially more than the equivalent petrol, is it because it takes more to manufacture the diesel variant ? I really don't think so - it is just that manufacturers price diesel variant at a premium because they know that the fuel being cheaper, people will not have any issue paying the premium because it can be recovered from the running costs. Let diesel and petrol be priced at same level and then let us see how many opt for the Indica-D or how many wait in line for months for the DDiS. I can bet that the majority won't buy the D variant even if priced same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy
Ya Right! and then everyone will stop using public transport and buy two wheelers and screw up the already messed up traffic in Bangalore
Boss, live and let live. You don't seem to see any irony in your owning 2 cars instead of using publicTrans, but the moment someone buys a bike, you think it will screw the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
A huge majority of the cars sold by Tata are Diesels, same is the case with Skoda. Fiat too sells a substantial number of Diesel cars (and engines).
If they were the only ones churning out diesels, I would have got your joke. BTW, if I am not wrong, 95% of the Mercs being sold would also be diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
These three brands are perpetually being bashed here for their A.S.S. dealerships, etc.
Hmm. Not to join issue with you, but 'bashed' has negative connotations. And here it seems to give the impression that tbhp-ians are bashing these brands without reason, which is not the case. Look up Skoda user grievance threads and you will know why they are being 'bashed'. They should actually be given a hard knock on their heads. And w.r.t. Fiat, well let's just leave it at saying that there is no A.S.S. in the first place to bash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss
Shouldn't the govt increase the duty on the diesel cars.
IMO No. Diesel and petrol are both automotive technologies - why penalise one ? Let the manufacturer price his car as he feels right, but ensure that the low fuel price is not (mis)used as a bait to sell one variant more.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:55   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, live and let live.
Well said, maybe people could also say the same about your ongoing rant on diesel users (private cars) -
Quote:
Bad part is someone able to afford a Merc also makes use of a subsidy which was not intended for him.
What say

Last edited by suman : 27th February 2009 at 12:56.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:59   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Well, if that is how you saw it, I am not attempting to change your perception. I thought I was clear that I have nothing against diesel users. Maybe I was wrong in that thinking.

BTW, what was that "What say and smiley" supposed to mean in the context of the quoted text ?

Most Viewed