Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 18:15   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Parikh's flat tax deflates diesel car makers' plans
Old 7th February 2010, 21:16   #1367
Senior - BHPian

A modest price increase is inevitable and justifiable too. India has one of the largest deficits in proportion to it's GDP and wanton growth in population every day only adds to the burdens on the treasury. There is no moral or individual responsibilty in India by the citizenry for their lives and it is really unfair that the Govt. has to bear all their costs. Why should the Govt. subsidize food and transportation?. How long can this situation last?.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:08   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Very true, nick.

Apart from the subsidy angle, setting the prices of these non-renewable resources at atleast their cost-to-produce price would also help people avoid wastage of the same. When something costs you less, you tend to not value it.

If the actual price of cooking-gas is 100 rupees more than what we are paying, I would say, hike it. Same for petrol and diesel.

Since kerosene is usually used by the low-income groups as a cooking medium, that can be subsidised given the financial condition of that segment.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th February 2010 at 13:09.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:41   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
A modest price increase is inevitable and justifiable too. India has one of the largest deficits in proportion to it's GDP and wanton growth in population every day only adds to the burdens on the treasury. There is no moral or individual responsibilty in India by the citizenry for their lives and it is really unfair that the Govt. has to bear all their costs. Why should the Govt. subsidize food and transportation?. How long can this situation last?.
True. However, in India, we have more than 30% of the people living below poverty line. For them fuel and food is a luxury. Thus, the govt. needs to step in and have a price control. But as far as petrol/diesel is concerned, a marginal price hike is justified. Transportation means such as railways/govt. buses are often subsidized to allow the common man to travel. Increasing price of petrol is inflationary and will cause other prices to increase as well. I don't have any issues as long as i get my raise over and beyond inflation rate as well
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:01   #1370
BHPian

can any body help me with current diesel prices in Noida/ Ghaziabad /UP. Need this info urgently & could not find it any where on the net.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:44   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal
in India, we have more than 30% of the people living below poverty line. For them fuel and food is a luxury.
True. But those who are BPL cant afford LPG or petrol/diesel. Maybe just kerosene - that can be subsidised taking into consideration their economic-status.

Quote:
Transportation means such as railways/govt. buses are often subsidized to allow the common man to travel.
Why should it be subsidised ? You want to travel, pay for it. For the last many budgets they have been saying, "no hikes in passenger fares". So how do they make up for rising diesel prices ? By hiking it someother place - eg. Cancellation charges (doubled) or Tatkal charges (from initial 50bucks to 150 bucks for SL class) etc. Or by putting a 3rd side-berth where there is no space for it and putting passengers through hell to just get into that berth.

Instead, hike the fares to reflect the cost. Yeah, I would be hit because I travel weekly by train, but what has to be done has to be done. Anyway, the deficit due to not hiking fares would be borne by me from the taxes we pay.

Quote:
Increasing price of petrol is inflationary and will cause other prices to increase as well.
No. It won't.

But increasing price of diesel would be inflationary - truck fares increase - so price of goods transported would go up. But then how long will you let oil-companies bleed ? Who will fund their staying afloat ? Again the taxpayer - you and me.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:24   #1372
Senior - BHPian

After the budget Petrol prices to rise by Rs 2.67/litre, diesel by Rs 2.58/litre from tonight :
Source economic times.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:55   #1373
BHPian

Just saw the news now and was really surprised to see the prices of everything going up! I think the people mainly getting affected would be the middle class. The ones who are extremely poor do not use cars, AC or anything like that and the people below poverty line would be getting many things in subsidized rates.

But in the case of middle class people, they use cars or bikes, LPG and everything. As a result of increase in petrol/diesel price, the transportation costs of everyday things like vegetables and all go up. For eg: if prices of diesel goes up by Rs. 2, the vegetale transporters would increase the charge by Rs.1 or 1.5 per km. So in this way, the price rise gets inflated while coming to the people and the middle class would get affected the most as they use most of the items but have less salary and savings.

Slightly OT: Even prices of cement, AC, refrigerator, TV's, Cars etc has gone up. This means people who are about to build a new house( esp. middle class as the rich ones don't have anything to worry about money) have to bear all the price rises! Already the cement prices have already reached a price bracket of 260-280. Then a new tv, Ac , etc for a new house! Adding everything, surely there would be a rise of 25,000-50,000 if one is constructing an average new house So further increase in prices would simply affect the economics of the common people!

NOTE: Hyundai car prices to be incrased by 6500-2500 across its range.
Maruti to increase prices too (Price rise not yet announced)
Old 26th February 2010, 15:16   #1374
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
After the budget Petrol prices to rise by Rs 2.67/litre, diesel by Rs 2.58/litre from tonight :
Source economic times.
Are the budget proposals effective just now or its post March? Maybe but looks like existing inventory as usual is being sold at higher rates using this news. This means rush at fuel pumps today!!!
Old 26th February 2010, 15:28   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Are the budget proposals effective just now or its post March? Maybe but looks like existing inventory as usual is being sold at higher rates using this news. This means rush at fuel pumps today!!!
All the budget details will be implemented post march i.e from next financial year IMO
Old 26th February 2010, 15:31   #1376
BHPian

Fuel price will go up by mid-night (immediate effect).
Old 26th February 2010, 15:33   #1377
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Fuel price will go up by mid-night (immediate effect).
And it may happen- as it does in the past, the pumps will run dry( artificially) by late evening and sell old stock tomorrow at higher rates. Talk about cheating openly
Old 26th February 2010, 15:38   #1378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
All the budget details will be implemented post march i.e from next financial year IMO
Not necessarily.

Even car prices rise from tomorrow itself. If the dealer is honest, you might get the old stock at old prices.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:40   #1379

Oh God , not again , but again Petrol prices to rise by Rs 2.77/litre from tonight n summers r coming , too bad : (
Old 26th February 2010, 15:47   #1380
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
And it may happen- as it does in the past, the pumps will run dry( artificially) by late evening and sell old stock tomorrow at higher rates.
This is confirmed - Petrol, diesel prices hiked from midnight- Hindustan Times

However, if you want to beat the price hike and save a few quid, you can go to a Shell pump. They always sell even before a hike, but currently I think their prices are ~Rs. 1.20 higher than the PSUs.

Most Viewed