Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 10:02   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Price Thread

I hope my office managment is tracking the inflation as closely as they are the doing for the oil prices. Being in Oil and Gas business there is a loud cheer whenever the oil price per barrel head northwards but the cheer turns suddenly into a frown when the time comes to give to the employees the annual hikes.

I hope my employer feels twice the pinch more than I do.

BTW these days I am experimenting taking my Activa to office which is 45 kms up and down. Some relief to the pockets.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:06   #1652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

BTW these days I am experimenting taking my Activa to office which is 45 kms up and down. Some relief to the pockets.
But very bad for the back.
The Activa is a very capable scooter, but its not comfortable for regular long distance usage.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:21   #1653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiKatana View Post
Abominable as the price rise is, you can do nothing about it - other than stop driving completely!
Also, i have a slightly different take on this - and one that's open to criticism. Look at it this way. Ask yourself how much petrol do you use a month. If it is a 100 litres, then the price rise is only Rs 250 for the entire month. Surely that's manageable!
Half glass empty-half glass full eh?!

You spend 250 extra; but that also means you got ~4.75 l of fuel less!

Thing is, one can find some way to make it seem manageable. But there just doesn't seem to be an end to this. Even if it comes to 1000 extra, people WILL have to still need it, right? They will find some way to find it manageable then.

What is worse is, it is not just 250 extra. Fuel rise means a hike in prices of commodities, products, tickets fares and the list goes on.. and most terribly, AUTO FARE hike! I'm sure that will pinch terribly.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:58   #1654
BHPian

Seems like freeing fuel price from government control has meant that petrol users will suffer the most. Earlier, both Petrol and Diesel prices used to be hiked by a little. Now, the hike is being passed on to only the Petrol users.

The logic that Petrol is used by the affluent people is not really correct since most of the petrol users are people who own 2 wheelers or those who own cheaper cars like the Alto and I10. Maybe the government should start removing the diesel subsidies for cars and SUVs instead of punishing the poor petrol users.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:59   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But very bad for the back.
The Activa is a very capable scooter, but its not comfortable for regular long distance usage.
Agreed. On the first day itself I had a sore bum, head felt heavy due to the helmet, surprisingly did not have a back pain.

I think the main reason for these pains is the bad suspension of Activa, had it been telescopic suspension, the pain would have been definitley less.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:48   #1656
BANNED

Indian Oil , HPCL , BPCL have different cost to their expenses and profits .
What i fail to understand why do they have similar prices then ?

Can somebody explain when all three companies are totally separate which means they have different operating costs and profits why same prices ?
Old 17th January 2011, 13:49   #1657
BHPian

Re: Official tracker of Price hike's & cut's in petrol & diesel in India

Does it make sense to switch to a **used Diesel car?

** Used diesel car to avoid paying premium for new Diesel car.

I heard Diesel price is also going to be hiked, not sure when & how much.

This was hinted on Jan 16th in CNBC Autocar show as well. They even told Diesel price will come "closer" to Petrol in "few" years!

Now does it make sense to continue with my petrol car?

Totally confused
Old 17th January 2011, 14:04   #1658
BHPian

@lohithrao

Shameless is a very understated word.
the thing with government is that it knows that the consumer is gonna buy the required commodities irrespective of its price so now the government is making its full utilization and squeezing the common man to its rock bottoms.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:10   #1659
Senior - BHPian

To rub salt on the wounds, counsumers outside the Mumbai area esp in Thane are forced to shell out an addtional 2 rs over and above the price in Mumbai. I had to pay Rs 65 for buying petrol in Thane yesterday. Thats hitting below the belt and it sure hurts a lot.

Its been along time since I remember the prices going down esp after the reccession. Even during the reccession times it was pretty high. To think of politicians getting away without having to pay anything makes my blood boil even more.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:56   #1660
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

What about the great political powers that be giving more subsidies for electric vehicles? removing all taxes and excise on EV's to encourage adoption.

Bunging in a "congestion charge" in inner city areas to ensure greater use of public transport. of course they will need to increase the width and frequency of the AC Volvo buses for the corporate class to take to the bus instead of driving their cars!

I know I would certainly take a bus if a point to point service were available within reasonable walking distance of where I live and if there was any guarantee of timings like exists in Bombay and abroad.

what about accelerating the development of Namma Metro? Why does everything have to take millions of years to happen in our country when other countries are able to implement things so much faster and more efficiently?
Old 17th January 2011, 15:08   #1661
Team-BHP Support

If oil cos are still losing more than a rupee on Petrol, one must wonder how much they are losing for Diesel.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:19   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Its a pity that nothing can be done on the fuel price hike

Looks like it makes more sense to buy Electric or Fuel Efficient Diesel cars.

It would not make sense driving a Petrol car with a mileage of 14 kmpl avg., and pay Rs.5/- per km over and above that, your yearly insurance, some guys paying EMI's, regular maintenance and the huge Road tax. We end up paying Rs. 8/- a km
As per my calculations, public transport is not cheap either. I end up paying Rs 180 from my place to Airport (that's 4.5 / litre) plus additional auto charges for reaching the bus stop. For shorter distances, it costs even more and with toll price rising it may be steep up further. I am not an environmentalist to worry about going green all day and night (though I do make an effort to contribute my bit for it). How can the BLR transport authority accept people to use public transport and loose the confort of your own car for Rs 0.5 a km on saving? Add to that another passenger even if one-way trip will make car a cheaper option.

Someone recently told me BLR bus service is the only profitable public transport department in India. Why ain't they passing that profit to public and making it more affordable and reasonable to use to bus service.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:37   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Considering the political reservations in india, it makes more sense to get a diesel vehicle. I do not think they are going to decontrol diesel prices in the near future. Even if they do, they cannot treat it the same way as petrol.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:58   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If oil cos are still losing more than a rupee on Petrol, one must wonder how much they are losing for Diesel.
IOC is losing some 7 rupees and few paise per liter of Diesel.

If this goes on then soon that excel sheet (where calculations where made to calculate real cost of ownership of diesel vs petrol car) will need some major updates.

As of now there is a pure Rs 20 difference between Diesel and Petrol.
Guys get that: Rs 20 !!!!
Old 17th January 2011, 17:00   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post

Someone recently told me BLR bus service is the only profitable public transport department in India. Why ain't they passing that profit to public and making it more affordable and reasonable to use to bus service.
The very reason that they are profitable is because they are not passing anything to public

Most Viewed