Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 14:28   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Price Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
come on guys. I see many posts saying about bosses having merc and BMWs, and common man sponsoring him through subsidy.

Everyone had choice. No one forced you guys to go for petrol. Then why say such statements?
That is a moot point! At my budget, for a new car, I simply had no choices.

Arguably, a car buyer does have a choice - he can at least look at an used diesel car, that will come with associated problems. But what choice do bike/scooter riders have? They end up subsidizing their boss's fuel by default, don't they?
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:50   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But what choice do bike/scooter riders have? They end up subsidizing their boss's fuel by default, don't they?
Sir. Certainly they too have choices. A bike too costs almost equal to a 2nd hand M800.

Secondly, the mileages are totally different. Infact, they get more than 3- 4 times the miles his boss can clock for the same amount

Anyway, this is a different topic.

My point here is, people choose their vehicle based on their need, affordability etc.

I am not supporting the subsidy structure. Me too, want this to change.

Its the bad governance we have. They simply not [or dont want to ] able get this right.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the status of so many so called alternative fuel projects are unknown. Govt. should encourage researches on these field. I don't see any good policy in this front.

And once you start any projects in this front, I am sure the Big Boy from US will give some other carrot to stop such projects.

EDIT:

http://www.dinamalar.com/News_Detail.asp?Id=234556

I remember seeing some mails circulating around in the net about the fuel price in our neighbour countries. Probably, they should see this news.

Summary: It says, in Pak the Diesel prices touches Rs.100.

Last edited by mjothi : 2nd May 2011 at 08:53.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:28   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sir. Certainly they too have choices. A bike too costs almost equal to a 2nd hand M800.

Secondly, the mileages are totally different. Infact, they get more than 3- 4 times the miles his boss can clock for the same amount
A) The boss with a diesel Merc makes at least 10 X what the subordinate with the Hero-Honda does!

B) The buying cost of many new bikes and a used 800 may be comparable, but the ownership costs are not.

My point is, even a Moped rider and the autorikshaw commuter subsidizes the Merc's fuel, and this skewed policy is inherently wrong. But it is set to implode sooner than later. At this rate, I see diesel cars outnumbering petrol ones in the not too distant future, at least at the lower end. I am waiting for the diesel nanos and their clones to hit the market. May be some acceptable diesel bikes will add to the tamasha. Then the fun will start!
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:27   #1789
Team-BHP Support

With Osama gone (reportedly), can we expect a slight reduction in fuel prices?!

Check this out :
Stocks rise after Bin Laden report; oil slides - The Times of India
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:28   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
With Osama gone (reportedly), can we expect a slight reduction in fuel prices?!

Check this out :
Stocks rise after Bin Laden report; oil slides - The Times of India
I'd expect a hike but not reduction :-( because govt. is just waiting for state elections to get over. The very next day prices will go up.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:41   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Expect a fuel price soon after the final phase of state elections. The hike would be around 3Rs for diesel and 3-4Rs for Petrol.

Govt mulling Rs 3/litre diesel rate hike after assembly polls - The Times of India
Old 4th May 2011, 13:55   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Expect a fuel price soon after the final phase of state elections. The hike would be around 3Rs for diesel and 3-4Rs for Petrol.

Govt mulling Rs 3/litre diesel rate hike after assembly polls - The Times of India
But let us all be aware that Diesel is being undersold by Rs. 18/- and Petrol by Rs. 8.50/-. This was as on yesterday 3rd May 2011. Here is the link
RBI calls for immediate hike in prices of petro products - The Economic Times

I think it's about time when diesel prices are also freed up.
But I seriously think that government will have to reduce taxes to make it a little more affordable for the common people. And anyways, the government would be compensated by means of not having to dole out cash to the Oil companies in lieu of the underpriced fuel.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:35   #1793
BHPian

This thread has become a D-bashing thread.

I am ready to pay the hiked diesel price but why so many tax/duties on fuel? Do we need another Anna Hazare to ask the Govt to remove all taxes from transport fuels? The amount of tax on diesel is arround Rs 19/- why doesn't the Govt reduce it to Rs 10/- and then increase the price(actual price to go to Oil cos) by Rs 5/- no one except Pranab Mukherjee will complain.
Old 5th May 2011, 08:36   #1794
BHPian

Diesel price too is under consideration,

source: Diesel & petrol may cost Rs 5 more from next week - The Economic Times
Old 5th May 2011, 08:39   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Our whole system works ONLY for the Babus. The price hike can wait for them to help in election. But cannot wait for public.

Jai Hind... India...
Old 5th May 2011, 09:38   #1796
Senior - BHPian

^^The voting public must be complete idiots, to be swayed by the artificial lower prices which they know will be increased any way after the polls! After all, people get the rulers they deserve.

Sigh! How many of the IT crowd in Chennai voted in the last elections? Most of them gleefully went on vacation for the extended week-end.
Old 5th May 2011, 09:44   #1797

Now start using cycles. Petrol price is going to increase again.
Old 5th May 2011, 10:13   #1798
Senior - BHPian

5bucks!!!! so we will cross 70bucks:( the public are been fooled for ages and sadly major chunk of then have still not realized!

Have already started to shop for cycle next year this time am sure we will be very close to 100...
Old 5th May 2011, 11:13   #1799
BHPian

Most of the replies talk about reducing taxes on the fuel - but if you reduce the taxes here without increasing it somewhere else your budget deficit will go up. An increase in budget deficit has its own ramifications, but the end result of the bigger budget deficit will be felt by us only - so the Govt can't reduce the tax on the fuels blindly to reduce the price we pay at the pump. Also LPG, Kerosene is still subsidized, that money also has to come from somewhere..

What the Govt can do is to ensure that a part of the tax collected from fuels goes to develop public transport and roads alone and for nothing else. This will ensure that more people start using public transport, thus easing the pressure on everyone else.

Btw if we are going to talk about wastage of our tax money collected through these..thats a different issue altogether - I fully support reducing the wastage:-).
Old 5th May 2011, 15:53   #1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
Most of the replies talk about reducing taxes on the fuel - but if you reduce the taxes here without increasing it somewhere else your budget deficit will go up. An increase in budget deficit has its own ramifications, but the end result of the bigger budget deficit will be felt by us only - so the Govt can't reduce the tax on the fuels blindly to reduce the price we pay at the pump. Also LPG, Kerosene is still subsidized, that money also has to come from somewhere..

What the Govt can do is to ensure that a part of the tax collected from fuels goes to develop public transport and roads alone and for nothing else. This will ensure that more people start using public transport, thus easing the pressure on everyone else.

Btw if we are going to talk about wastage of our tax money collected through these..thats a different issue altogether - I fully support reducing the wastage:-).
I understand that Government is also helpless but they must do something to decrease the load of prices on the common people. If they continuously increase the price then what will we do.

Most Viewed