Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 22:16   #2071
BHPian

Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Being the optimistic fool that i am i will wait for the govt to roll back prices by Rs1.5 and then go on to claim it cares for the common man.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:29   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Just tanked up at shell, the manager at the outlet said shell prices will not be increased and they would try and maintain the current prices.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:43   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Price Thread

That's it. Tomorrow i am working from home.

I dread every time i see this thread active.
I had tanked up today morning though. So some saving grace.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:53   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Petrol price up by Rs 3.14/lt; LPG likely to cost more - Hindustan Times

"Government oil companies on Thursday hiked petrol price by Rs 3.14-3.32 per litre after decline in rupee's exchange value increased the cost of buying crude oil and widened losses from fuel sales.

Petrol price in Delhi has been hiked by Rs 3.14 a litre to Rs 66.84 per litre with effect from midnight on Thursday, a press statement issued by Indian Oil Corp, the nation's largest fuel retailer, said."

Guess I need to find some alternatives. The prices are now pinching me.

Last edited by bluevolt : 15th September 2011 at 22:55.
Old 15th September 2011, 23:10   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on the Bangalore prices? what is the price in Blore now?
Old 16th September 2011, 00:30   #2076
BHPian

I am seriously thinking of cancelling my booking for the new jazz, I just cannot comprehend the rate hike. Will there be a rate revision if the dollar/rupee goes back to 45 odd? I don't think so. The cards have been played really well. After bumper car sales they knows people will be helpless and would need to buy petrol at whatever prices are there. Think I will just go and buy a simple diesel hatch, forget about the space, features etc. I should be at least be able to drive the car to enjoy the features, but with the way the petrol prices are revised(read: revised only upwards!) I rather save that money and I am sure it will be a lot considering savings in the future as well.
Old 16th September 2011, 00:40   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Saw the sorry sight of long queue near Leela Palace petrol bunk on Airport road.
Saw some Indica cabs too. Herd mentality. Or who knows. Diesel might be next.
Old 16th September 2011, 01:12   #2078
BHPian

Market - demand driven petrol prices. People will buy petrol at any cost. by december two more hikes of 5/- each. For re-electing this Italian mafia puppet MMS govt. people pay the price now.

Ordinary two wheeling community will be hit severely.
Old 16th September 2011, 01:32   #2079
BHPian

This is not going good at all. A mere dip in Rupee value Vs the Dollar can not be the reason to the petrol rate hike. This was (as GTO said) only an excuse to get to a predetermined rate the govt. had in mind from day one. Next they will raise the rate saying we had floods and lost a lot of food grain, just ridiculous.

This govt. is headed only one way and that is down the drain. And the problem is there is no better alternative to this, the next party chosen will not reduce the prices either, because in India if something goes up (rate wise) it never comes back down again.

It is our plight that we need a vehicle and we have to drive it, people buy petrol vehicles as some cannot afford diesel vehicles for the fact that they are priced much higher than their petrol counterparts, and now either which way we will end up on the losing side.

Inflation, higher comodity prices, petrol hike, LPG hike, electricity hike and our salaries did not change!!!
Old 16th September 2011, 03:06   #2080
BANNED

I was just trying to understand the maths behind Petrol Prices.
I have heard many saying that it is the tax that central and state govt applies is the core reason for high cost of petrol.

As per my understanding:

1 Barrel of Crude Oil would result in 78 Litres of Petrol.
1 Barrel of Brent Crude is around $100,
So 78 Ltrs costs $100 or ₹4500 (@ $1 = ₹ 45)
This translates into ₹ 58/ per litre.

Delhi's retail Price is ₹ 66.84, Margin - ₹ 9;
Mumbai's retail Price is ₹ 71.76, Margin - ₹ 13
Kolkata's retail Price is ₹ 71.15, Margin - ₹ 13
Chennai's retail Price is ₹ 70.64, Margin - ₹ 12

As per my understanding, Majority of India's Oil is imported, assuming from Gulf, nearest port Mumbai. Majority refining done in Gujarat. Mumbai is close to port and refining factory. So cost of transportation should be less.

Accordingly the prices should have been cheaper in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, followed by Kolkata, isn't it...
Old 16th September 2011, 06:12   #2081
BHPian

This is crazy. The Inflation will go up and RBI wont have any choice but to increase the rates. Be prepared to pay higher EMIs in coming month.

Last edited by C300 : 16th September 2011 at 06:31. Reason: Formatting
Old 16th September 2011, 06:49   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
Damn, I just bought a petrol car in the hope that the price delta between Petrol and Diesel would not widen in the short and long term. The Government seems to have gone all berserk, especially at a time when inflation is at an all time high.

Sonia/Rahul ji - Why are you doing this to us?

It is S/R's way of thanking you / us for electing them!!

IMHO, what happens if they increase diesel prices by 10 paise per month? Over a period of time, it should normalize. With inflation already hovering around 9.87%, an additional 10 paise should only increase inflation by a factor of 0.06 (going by the govt's thumb rule of 1 Rs increase = 0.6% addition to inflation %age).. so waht the difference between 9.87 and 9.93 !! ???

I don't see the difference. Over time, the subsidies required too will decrease and hopefully lead the way to effective pricing !!!
Old 16th September 2011, 08:04   #2083
BHPian

I tanked up at Shell (next to UB City, BLR) yesterday evening and was told by the attendant that Shell prices are not changing along with PSU companies. Not sure how true this is.
Old 16th September 2011, 08:09   #2084
Senior - BHPian

There is a kind of dictatorial disregard for general public in mind of this govt. I do not know what has caused this. In democracy the govt is supposed to work for people. This govt like the Bush administration, is totally run by corporations with vested interests. Somebody withdraw the support and make this govt fall.

2014 is so so far away. We cannot wait till then.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 08:15   #2085
Distinguished - BHPian

They are also mulling over cancelling the subsidy on LPG. I feel its the right decision. In the short term it pinches all of us. But may be in the long run it will be good for the economy as a whole to do away with subsidies. And yes I think GTO might have a point here as the oil companies will look to clear away there losses accumulated over so many years.

BTW I am pretty sure that making this govt fall and electing BJP or a third front is not going to serve any good. Only till these guys are in opposition they support the common man. Once a part of the govt they change there colours in no time.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed