Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 14:35   #2281
BHPian

re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I, for one, think that the difference in Diesel and Petrol prices is ok. Just that the difference should be lesser.
My campaign:

Petrol: Rs 50/-
Diesel: Rs 45/-
LPG: Rs 450-500/- per cylinder.

Abhi.
That would make a whole lot of sense. If not 5 even a 10 rupees difference is fine, but definitely not 30 like now. They have to do a balancing act. They cant just afford to burden only one section of the society. Its not as if the petrol vehicle owners can bare it all while diesel owners cant.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:47   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Its not as if the petrol vehicle owners can bare it all while diesel owners cant.
Could not agree more: Many a times its the same people who switch b/w P to D (D to P) is rare now.

Fuel is no more a luxury item, is a basic commodity and should be taxed like a basic commodity (Rice, wheat etc). That is the only way to bring in some balance.

There is another major reason for this dichotomy in pricing. India's over reliance on surface (road) transport for moving essential goods. Now where is the world is Railways used (not not used!) as we use it in India. Even today essential goods movement relies heavily on Trucks (remember how each truck strike cripples our daily life?). If you set that right, the rest of the Domino pieces will follow.

But on the lighter side, if you want your tax money back, buy a oil burner!
Old 15th November 2011, 15:41   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
There is another major reason for this dichotomy in pricing. India's over reliance on surface (road) transport for moving essential goods. Now where is the world is Railways used (not not used!) as we use it in India. Even today essential goods movement relies heavily on Trucks (remember how each truck strike cripples our daily life?). If you set that right, the rest of the Domino pieces will follow.
That calls for dual pricing of diesel which the govt. is shying away from. May be they can have a separate licence or something for all the goods and public transport vehicles wherein they can continue with present prices while its revised for others.
Old 15th November 2011, 15:44   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
That calls for dual pricing of diesel which the govt. is shying away from.
That will be a short to medium term solution. It has some serious flaws into it too. The long and sustainable solution is to rework the whole collection and distribution network or essential commodities in the country.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:15   #2285
BHPian

A ticker on ET mentions that price of Petrol could be cut Rs. 2.22 in Delhi.

Here is the link :

Oil companies to slash petrol prices by Rs 1.90/lt from midnight - The Economic Times

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th November 2011 at 18:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use edit option if posting again within 30 mins. Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 18:50   #2286
BHPian

As per CNN-IBN live,

'Oil companies have reduced petrol prices by Rs 1.85 per litre across India. This means that in Delhi petrol prices will get cheaper by Rs 2.22 per litre.'

"States have the option to reduce VAT,"

Check it out at: Petrol prices slashed by Rs 1.85 per litre - Business News - IBNLive
Old 15th November 2011, 19:14   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Are we supposed to be rejoicing at this?? Raise by Rs 15+ over time and reduce by 1.85? This game will go on for there are nobody in the petrol consuming segment who'd stand up for it. Even if they did, Govt. will say "Sure go ahead, strike if you have to - You are the one's who are going to suffer anyway"

Where as for diesel, it caters to a cross section of users from the poor farmer to run his pump to the rich businessmen who run their high end cars/SUV's etc.
Old 15th November 2011, 19:46   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Where as for diesel, it caters to a cross section of users from the poor farmer to run his pump to the rich businessmen who run their high end cars/SUV's etc.
Sure the cross section of diesel consumers is as varied as India. But I dont see any reason to make derogatory remarks about diesel car users. It is not as if the SUV/diesel car owners influence the govt policy.

Neither diesel car owners nor petrol consumers can influence government policy, so there is no need to comment on diesel car owners.

The only saving grace is there aint any diesel 2-wheelers.
Old 15th November 2011, 19:49   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Sure the cross section of diesel consumers is as varied as India. But I dont see any reason to make derogatory remarks about diesel car users. It is not as if the SUV/diesel car owners influence the govt policy.

Neither diesel car owners nor petrol consumers can influence government policy, so there is no need to comment on diesel car owners.

The only saving grace is there aint any diesel 2-wheelers.
What did you find derogatory in my comment? Nobody can influence the govt on any pricing. Does it mean one cannot express one's views out here as well?
Old 15th November 2011, 19:57   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What did you find derogatory in my comment? Nobody can influence the govt on any pricing. Does it mean one cannot express one's views out here as well?

This forum, for that matter any forum, serves an important function of providing a platform for the opinions of general public like us.

I felt the term 'rich businessmen' has an accusatory tone.

Not that I am rich or I own an SUV. I have an Indica and an Omni.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:02   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
This forum, for that matter any forum, serves an important function of providing a platform for the opinions of general public like us.

I felt the term 'rich businessmen' has an accusatory tone.

Not that I am rich or I own an SUV. I have an Indica and an Omni.
You are entitled to your own opinion. Even I run two petrol motors and 1 diesel motor (a family vehicle - not my own) and I am no close to calling myself rich or poor. The term was general.

Governments have made policies in the name of benefiting all strata's of the society. I believe I have the right to call rich businessmen as rich businessmen as much as you have the right to find it accusatory. Please do not take it personally.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:12   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Governments have made policies in the name of benefiting all strata's of the society. I believe I have the right to call rich businessmen as rich businessmen as much as you have the right to find it accusatory. Please do not take it personally.
The issue is not about taking it personally. There is nothing personal in it. I am not rich enough to take it personally, though I do not mind if I am. I am just tired of hearing snides directed at diesel car owners, especially the SUV owners where as we ought to have a meaningful dialogue on the trends and the remedies, if any.
Old 15th November 2011, 21:56   #2293
BHPian

Price slashed by Rs. 1.85. Effective from midnight.

Petrol prices slashed, jet fuel price hiked
Old 15th November 2011, 23:31   #2294
Senior - BHPian

This cut is nothing but to shut up the opposition. Elections are coming up, Congress needs to show that they are there for the aam admi. First increase petrol by Rs. 15 and make a lot of show that we are reducing the price by a mere Rs. 1.86.
Two weeks back IIRC, PSU's increased the cost by Rs. 1.86 and now they are reducing it. Congress told PSU increase the cost and then we will reduce the cost by which we increase and make noise for it.

Dual pricing for diesel may be the solution, but who is going to take care of the corruption that will follow. Make more rules and politicians and people are out there to make loopholes out of it. Its not going to work. We need something concrete and we don't know what's there in the future.
Old 16th November 2011, 00:12   #2295
BHPian

This "fortnight" business that suddenly the OMCs seem to have remembered, is hogwash. The Congress has been and will continue to use their finger in all issues related to fuel even if they mean the prices are entirely 'decontrolled'.

Most Viewed